Author Topic: WW2OL (warning, likely to set pom poms on fire)  (Read 2987 times)

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
WW2OL (warning, likely to set pom poms on fire)
« Reply #45 on: July 31, 2001, 07:35:00 AM »
I think we can all agree that we'd honestly *like* to see WW2 Online get de-bugged, optimize the code for better FR since we the end users like this sort of combat environment.  Let's hope they can work the issues out in a timely fashion.

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
« Reply #46 on: July 31, 2001, 07:36:00 AM »
quit being obtuse gadfly.

Everyone that is commenting here has quite a bit of experience with ww2ol.  Enough experience to know that the game is buggy as hell and really offers little more than the average game of quake.

It just seems everone else realizes it.  But then, we didn't bring our little plastic shovel and bucket to the beach with us and comense burrying our heads in the sand.

AKDejaVu

Offline Gadfly

• Silver Member
« Reply #47 on: July 31, 2001, 07:57:00 AM »
Look, you don't see me here, or anywhere, making posts about how great the game is.  Many of you may have tried it, others have not, and when they see the stuff you post, may not.  That is why I post.

I reply only to offer the other side of the argument.  Both viewpoints are valid, but what is the point of harshing the game?  Do you think it will make it better?  

If you advocate the position that it is unplayable, well, I am offering proof that it is.  If you advocate the position that you don't LIKE the game, you won't see me attempt to refute your claim.

Offline Jammer

• Zinc Member
« Reply #48 on: July 31, 2001, 08:12:00 AM »
Originally posted by AKDejaVu:
Enough experience to know that the game is buggy as hell and really offers little more than the average game of quake.

LOL, yeah right...comparing WWIIOL with Quake made your credability in the matter extinct IMO.

Offline Gh0stFT

• Silver Member
« Reply #49 on: July 31, 2001, 09:45:00 AM »
looks like the pom poms are on fire now !  ;)
and yes i like ww2ol !  :D
The statement below is true.
The statement above is false.

Offline Udie

• Gold Member
« Reply #50 on: July 31, 2001, 10:21:00 AM »
HEHE WW2 aint nothing like quake, except for the tank wars at Denant and Anhee.  The other night I spent over 2 hours in the top room of a church with a tommy gun  :)  I watched truck after truck drop off 4 to 5 german inf just over a hill outside of town about 200 yards from me.  Poor bastards didn't realize I could see them and kill them, which I did.  I got about 20 before they called in a panzer to kill the building I was in.  I died in the explosion hehe.

Another note on FPS. It seems realy random to me.  Sometimes I never drop under 25-30, and others I never get over 12-15.  Same size battles too.  Since 1.2 flying is alot better for me.  I'm 35+ fps most of the time, unless new terrain is loading then Im down to 11-15, but after about 20-30 seconds it pops back up to 35.  I actualy managed a 5 kill flight the other night.  Bouncing is SOOOOOO easy there with no 6 view  ;)

On the sucky graphics.  The models are some o the most complex I've ever seen in a game. Screenshots don't do them justice.  All the moving wheels on the tanks, the leading edge slats on the 109 the insides of tanks and planes, levers move and stuff.  There are SO many trees and bushes to hide in/behind, hills roads with signs and side rails at turns.  3 or 4 diferent types of bridges.  All kinds of stuff.  What doesn't look too good to me are the textures. Once they get this thing where it's supposed to be in a couple of years and everybody has upgraded some more they can change to bigger texures.

This is the way I see it, but all this stuff is subjective I guess.  To each his own.  I'm hoping we don't see the fracture that we did when AH came out. I plan on playing both and don't want enemies at either place, they are after all only games...

Udie

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #51 on: July 31, 2001, 10:26:00 AM »
You are assuming they make it those few years to the point of completion (or atleast meeting half of the features listed on the box)..

The game is unfinished plain and simple, I would never recommend anything in that state to any of my friends or fellow gamers. It would be ripping them off to say "Hey it's fun for that $40... but all of the features listed aren't there!"

Fun or not, the advertising is clearly false.
-SW

Offline Jammer

• Zinc Member
« Reply #52 on: July 31, 2001, 11:39:00 AM »
Hear no evil, see no evil

Offline Gh0stFT

• Silver Member
« Reply #53 on: July 31, 2001, 11:49:00 AM »
well now something complete different, if you into "quake" style fps, why not try Day of Defeat a Half life WWII Modification, i must admit i installed it last weekend and i like it alot.
Its "instant action", jump in and start the fragfest on Omaha beach, Stalingard or in the bombed Köln.
Its not much about tactic & strategie but its fun  :D

Gh0stFT
The statement below is true.
The statement above is false.

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
« Reply #54 on: July 31, 2001, 11:52:00 AM »
HEHE WW2 aint nothing like quake, except for the tank wars at Denant and Anhee

Ah.. bs.

Its quake with tanks and 8fps aircraft.  I find it quite ironic that one of the photos above is an fighter straffing a spawn point.  Nah.. its nothing like quake.

:rolleyes:

Instant respawning.. well.. instant if you figure in the 3 minute load time (please.. tell me this is a "feature").  Unlimited lifes.  1st person perspective.  No real point other than fighting a continuously spawning foe.  Nah.. its nothing like quake.

:rolleyes:

What's funny is that some saying WW2OL is nothing like quake have actually called AH quakebirds.  At least one of the games is simulationg something somewhat accurately.

...and... most people posting against WW2Online have bought the game.  I know that I bought it because I wanted to play it.  I did not want to waste my money by placing it on the shelf.  I have to pay no money right now to play it.. and I choose not to.  That says something about the game.  Many other people made the same choice.. that says even more about the game.

AKDejaVu

Offline Gadfly

• Silver Member
« Reply #55 on: July 31, 2001, 01:17:00 PM »
Which picture shows a plane straffing the Spawn?  None of mine, although that is a valid tactic, and one I strive to achieve.

Unfortunatley, respawning is now almost instant; I preferred that it took a while myself.

If any of you believed the hype you are dumber than a box of rocks.  Joe Blow on the street was ripped off, no question, but we as a class are informed buyers, I think.

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #56 on: July 31, 2001, 01:27:00 PM »
Originally posted by Gadfly:
If any of you believed the hype you are dumber than a box of rocks.  Joe Blow on the street was ripped off, no question, but we as a class are informed buyers, I think.

I didn't buy the hype, nor the product. I didn't even believe the hype when the game was just a website.

I am just astonished that people are here trying to promote the product.

It does nothing that it's supposed to and is horribly bug ridden.

If a car promised me features on the sticker, and I was told AFTER I bought the car that I would get those features later on.. I would be mightily pissed off and would return the car immediately. Especially if what is currently in there barely worked in the first place.
-SW

Offline Jammer

• Zinc Member
« Reply #57 on: July 31, 2001, 01:39:00 PM »
It's like the eternal discussion, isn't it? No one is listening to anyone elses arguments. Instead people keep chewing the same yadda-yadda-yadda over and over again.

Heh, ok WWIIOL is a bug ridden Quake clone with zero entertainment value and AH is the best single piece of software ever written, and that will ever be written for that matter.  ;)

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #58 on: July 31, 2001, 01:44:00 PM »
Jammer my only reference in WWIIOl vs AH was graphics.

Since then I've only been stating my opinion on WWIIOl.

Did I mention AH in that post above?
-SW

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #59 on: July 31, 2001, 01:47:00 PM »
What don't you understand about...
 - crap load times
 - shocking framerates
 - CTD and CTHL (terms that almost TM'd by CRS)
 - more than half the promised features missing

Originally posted by Gadfly:
Ahh, if you played it Vulcan, then why do you say it is unplayable?  Even with all the bugs it has, and Cod knows it has lots, it is still the only game like it, and is very playable.

Maybe not to your tastes, or maybe not up to your high standards, but if that is the case why do you bother talking about it?