Author Topic: Six months after Katrina in New Orleans  (Read 1973 times)

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
Six months after Katrina in New Orleans
« Reply #105 on: March 07, 2006, 09:35:37 AM »
There's something wrong with the way each of us is wired.

They didn't tell you that?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline mauser

• Nickel Member
« Reply #106 on: March 07, 2006, 11:44:02 AM »
Originally posted by Hangtime

When I've got a weapon under immediate personal control I'm more alert to my surroundings, I'm cautious about 'encounters', I'm disposed to NOT get confrontational, I avoid any situtaion that could result in a 'challenge'. In short, I'm a cocky loudmouth without a worry in the world when I'm 'clean'. Put a piece under my control and I tend to fade back, become less of a wize bellybutton and stay the hell away from marginal situtations.

I've learned this is the right mindset for people who wish to carry.  And for the most part, this seems to work.  You don't see folks with carry permits dueling each other on the street everyday.  You can't just draw down on someone because they gave you the finger, were tailgating you the past 10 miles, or looked at your wife/girlfriend/daughter the wrong way.  Avoid, deescalate, run away until you're either safe or cornered.  Otherwise you could be arrested for brandishing if I recall (you could even be arrested for brandishing if your pistol's grip somehow pokes out from under your shirt and the wrong person sees it).  It's not about "looking cool" carrying a weapon either.  I wonder how many who are opposed  to letting others carry are aware of that.  You're fortunate you have a choice Frenchy.  

How about forgetting about the levees and rebuilding anything in N.O.?  No?  Here's a dumb idea, how about making those flooded areas of N.O. the Venice of the United States?

Offline SFRT - Frenchy

• Platinum Member
      • http://home.CFL.rr.com/rauns/menu.htm
« Reply #107 on: March 07, 2006, 11:49:50 AM »
I agree with you guys. Gun are a "piece of mind" thank to the extra confidence but they might get you in trouble too just because of that.

In L.A. I witnessed drive by's, shootings, dramas, even being nose to nose with a gun, yet I'm still alive. If I had a gun, I would have maybe tried to protect myself in such a way that I'll be dead.

Decisions ... decisions :)
Dat jugs bro.

Terror flieger since 1941.
------------------------

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #108 on: March 07, 2006, 12:07:47 PM »
Frenchy, If I HAD a permit, I'd probably carry every minute of every day. Some guys I know with paper do exactly that. And there's places thay can't go, things they can't do, it becomes a burden.

When or if things change abruptly; I now have the means to address the situation appropriately. Right now, it's appropriate for me to leave the piece at home, locked away safe. As usual, I've got a plan for the worst case, and live in the best case.

No, I don't think everybody needs to 'carry'. Yes, you should have at your disposal in the shortest period of time possible ALL the means to rectify that.. 'cause these days yah just can't be sure your home, your street or your town will remain a safe refuge from one days headlines to the next.
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline mauser

• Nickel Member
« Reply #109 on: March 07, 2006, 12:09:41 PM »
Originally posted by SFRT - Frenchy
If I had a gun, I would have maybe tried to protect myself in such a way that I'll be dead.

Nothing's for sure in life as they say.  That said, whatever decision you make / have made already should be respected.  It just seemed to me you had a very skewed idea of carrying ("feeling stupid," "looking like John Wayne") and wanted to address that.

Offline SFRT - Frenchy

• Platinum Member
      • http://home.CFL.rr.com/rauns/menu.htm
« Reply #110 on: March 07, 2006, 12:22:33 PM »
I have "no problem" for others to carry a gun, would just feel strange for me to have one on my belt. In the other hand, one at home would not bother me at all.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2006, 12:28:00 PM by SFRT - Frenchy »
Dat jugs bro.

Terror flieger since 1941.
------------------------

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #111 on: March 07, 2006, 02:35:46 PM »
I think that everyone takes their chances in life.   I never wore a helmet with motorcycles and I never had a head injury.    

People wear seatbelts and today.... most people feel that they are in mortal danger if they don't...  even tho their chance of being in a wreck that a seatbelt would save or even help them are more than 30 to one against...     while, at the same time.... the odds are 1 in four that they will be the victim of a violent crime in their lifetime. Yet.... they strap themselves in religiously no matter how uncomfortable or how much hassle it is.  

I think mauser hit it pretty well.... If there were no restrictions at all on concealled carry.... there would never be more than about 10% of the population carrying at any one time.   It's all good.

lazs

Offline dmf

• Gold Member
« Reply #112 on: March 07, 2006, 09:13:23 PM »
Originally posted by Hangtime
:aok

My motto.. "plan around the worst case, hope for the best". Sounds like yer heads screwed on right.. if yer half as smart and 1/4 as viscious as my daughter & ex-wife (who's an insurance company VP by the way) you'll do just fine when the chips go down.

Stay safe, kiddo. ;)

Believe me being a single mother kinda keeps the head screwed on right, the only insurance I don't have is incase one of those Navy planes crashes into my apt. And despitwe what they say on the news around other parts of the country, my odds of winning the lottery are better than the odds of that happening.

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
« Reply #113 on: March 07, 2006, 09:52:55 PM »
My parents lost everything in Katrina.  They were sixteen feet above sea level and told they would never need flood insurance, but they insisted on getting it anyway.

Six months later, they have finally received the full money from their claim.  They lost their house and two cars, and immediately after the disaster struck the insurance company tried to lowball them to the tune of $10,000 or so to cover all damages.  Thankfully, my parents keep meticulous records of everything they buy, and they cataloged everything in the house when they knew the hurricane was going to strike... just in case.

Nonetheless, had they been in a truly dire situation where they needed money immediately (which they thankfully were not), they would have been forced to take the lowball amount and eat hundreds of thousands of dollars in damages.  Even with their meticulous bookkeeping and my mother's relentless pursuit of a fair settlement, it took this long to sort things out.  Imagine a couple less prepared, less organized, or less well-insured.

-- Todd/Leviathn

Offline fartwinkle

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #114 on: March 07, 2006, 11:21:22 PM »
Originally posted by Dead Man Flying
My parents lost everything in Katrina.  They were sixteen feet above sea level and told they would never need flood insurance, but they insisted on getting it anyway.

Six months later, they have finally received the full money from their claim.  They lost their house and two cars, and immediately after the disaster struck the insurance company tried to lowball them to the tune of $10,000 or so to cover all damages.  Thankfully, my parents keep meticulous records of everything they buy, and they cataloged everything in the house when they knew the hurricane was going to strike... just in case.

Nonetheless, had they been in a truly dire situation where they needed money immediately (which they thankfully were not), they would have been forced to take the lowball amount and eat hundreds of thousands of dollars in damages.  Even with their meticulous bookkeeping and my mother's relentless pursuit of a fair settlement, it took this long to sort things out.  Imagine a couple less prepared, less organized, or less well-insured.

-- Todd/Leviathn

Insurance companys are bandits they all should wear a mask.
I have never seen a more moraly bancrupt buisness than the Insurance buisness bunch of toilet stains IMHO.

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
« Reply #115 on: March 07, 2006, 11:39:28 PM »
Originally posted by lazs2
People wear seatbelts and today.... most people feel that they are in mortal danger if they don't...  even tho their chance of being in a wreck that a seatbelt would save or even help them are more than 30 to one against...     while, at the same time.... the odds are 1 in four that they will be the victim of a violent crime in their lifetime. Yet.... they strap themselves in religiously no matter how uncomfortable or how much hassle it is.  
lazs [/B]

Bad comparison.

Seat belts is neither a major hassle or a major discomfort. A 4 year old can learn to do and undo the buckle.

To use a gun effectively in a defensive manner takes a lot of training. It takes overview, balls, dedication and professionalism. It takes a cool head and good judgment backed up by excellent skills.

The comparison to buckling a seat belt and the very minor discomfort it causes is invalid.

A more valid comparison would be "all skydivers should arm themselves".  In this comparison there are a lot of similarities. Training, experience, good judgment and quick thinking is required to do any of the two efficiently and safely. Even with that the outcome is never certain.

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #116 on: March 08, 2006, 08:28:16 AM »
hmm... minor discomfort?   it is a discomfort that you live with for many hours of the day... it is a hassle to do.   If you allready have an interest in guns then you will "train" I don't believe that "training" to simply carry a gun for defense is any more time consuming than say.... learning to drive defensively.

Now... to carry the gun... you get one that weighs 9-12 0z and is smaller than a cell phone and fits in your front pocket with NO discomfort... how is that not less than the seatbelt digging into you for hours a day?

I wear seatbelts in my Hot Rods but they are fitted to me.  I don't wear those stupid ones that come with new cars like my Lincoln  I am about a dozen or more times more likely to need a seatbelt in my Hot Rods tho.

If I had a newer car that wasn't boring I would rethink the seatbelt thing... probly work at making the belts better for me if I was gonna drive agressively.

but...  maybe not..  should be my choice.

lazs

Offline dmf

• Gold Member
« Reply #117 on: March 08, 2006, 07:37:26 PM »
I don't care if its a discomfort or not, anybody that rides in my car is wearing a seatbelt or not rideing in my car, I'm not paying a $50 fine just because sombody is a little uncomfortable.

Offline dmf

• Gold Member
« Reply #118 on: March 08, 2006, 07:38:58 PM »
Originally posted by fartwinkle
Insurance companys are bandits they all should wear a mask.
I have never seen a more moraly bancrupt buisness than the Insurance buisness bunch of toilet stains IMHO.

You wnat something more moraly bankrupt than the insurance companies? Tell the doctor you have a hmo and you'll find one.

Offline fartwinkle

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #119 on: March 08, 2006, 07:46:07 PM »
Originally posted by dmf
You wnat something more moraly bankrupt than the insurance companies? Tell the doctor you have a hmo and you'll find one.

I thought Ins com[anys ran HMO'S?