Author Topic: Six months after Katrina in New Orleans  (Read 1971 times)

Offline dmf

• Gold Member
Six months after Katrina in New Orleans
« Reply #90 on: March 06, 2006, 04:30:11 PM »
OK well after reading and now knowing what  pig in a poke is, I'm pretty sure I don't have that with my insurance :)

Fire, theft, hurricane, is all I have

Offline SFRT - Frenchy

• Platinum Member
      • http://home.CFL.rr.com/rauns/menu.htm
« Reply #91 on: March 06, 2006, 06:20:25 PM »
Oh .. you are so mature Slash27:(
Dat jugs bro.

Terror flieger since 1941.
------------------------

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #92 on: March 06, 2006, 06:47:51 PM »
Originally posted by dmf
OK well after reading and now knowing what  pig in a poke is, I'm pretty sure I don't have that with my insurance :)

Fire, theft, hurricane, is all I have

So did many THOUSANDS of residents on the Gulf Coast.

And they've been screwed.

DMF, I'm not kidding.. the insurance companies are NOT in business to pay out on claims. They are in business to make money on the premiums via investment and divestment. Just because you THINK you have coverage, their lawyers can and usually do find a reason to undervalue, underpay, not pay or outright deny your claim ESPECIALLY in the case of a 'natural disaster' where they have many THOUSANDS of simultaneous claims that if paid in good faith would bankrupt them and their re-insurance treaty partners outright.

Often, the claimants spend nearly as much on the lawyers THEY have to hire to get their claims paid and even then, they still lost BIG.

So, kiddo; don't put too much faith in those insurance policies. You get nailed by a tragedy, don't put too much faith in 'insurance'.
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #93 on: March 06, 2006, 07:01:49 PM »
Originally posted by SFRT - Frenchy
Oh .. you are so mature Slash27:(

Ok, maybe I misunderstood your statement. Enlighten me.

Offline SFRT - Frenchy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #94 on: March 06, 2006, 07:40:55 PM »
Maybe you think it's cool to have a gun and walk around looking like John Wayne. I can already see my 11 year old freacked out to death, my girlfriend shaking her head in disbelief, my coworkers talking behind my back, my boss firing me.

And what if I actually use the thing, will my daughter respect me more after she was tromatize by seing daddy blowing the head of someone?

Carrying a gun at the belt is a piss poor solution, trying to avoid being in trouble in the first place might be a better behavior/example.

Do you have kids Slash?
Dat jugs bro.

------------------------

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #95 on: March 06, 2006, 07:48:41 PM »
Originally posted by Hangtime

DMF, I'm not kidding.. the insurance companies are NOT in business to pay out on claims. They are in business to make money on the premiums via investment and divestment. Just because you THINK you have coverage, their lawyers can and usually do find a reason to undervalue, underpay, not pay or outright deny your claim ESPECIALLY in the case of a 'natural disaster' where they have many THOUSANDS of simultaneous claims that if paid in good faith would bankrupt them and their re-insurance treaty partners outright.

Often, the claimants spend nearly as much on the lawyers THEY have to hire to get their claims paid and even then, they still lost BIG.

So, kiddo; don't put too much faith in those insurance policies. You get nailed by a tragedy, don't put too much faith in 'insurance'.

Hang is right. Many had Hurricane insurance but all of those decimated by the levie break were denied their "hurricane insurance" because they were damaged by a "flood" not a hurricane.

Offline dmf

• Gold Member
« Reply #96 on: March 06, 2006, 07:49:32 PM »
Originally posted by Hangtime

Oh trust me I don't trust them any farther than I can throw them. The only things I can't replace, I would get out of here anyway if a fire or natural disaster happened, thats pictures of me and my daughter, everythig else I can live without. And I seriously doubt a thief would steel my photo album, As for my apartment, theres more around her I can rent if anything happens to mine.

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #97 on: March 06, 2006, 08:11:14 PM »
:aok

My motto.. "plan around the worst case, hope for the best". Sounds like yer heads screwed on right.. if yer half as smart and 1/4 as viscious as my daughter & ex-wife (who's an insurance company VP by the way) you'll do just fine when the chips go down.

Stay safe, kiddo. ;)
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #98 on: March 06, 2006, 08:29:22 PM »
Maybe you think it's cool to have a gun and walk around looking like John Wayne. I can already see my 11 year old freacked out to death, my girlfriend shaking her head in disbelief, my coworkers talking behind my back, my boss firing me.

Yes, that what I said. Get yourself a couple of Colt SAA's and strap them badboys on. Dont forget your horse. A double barrel 12 ga or a lever action rifle of your choosing would go well with this:aok

Being your in Texas I was refering to the right to carry a concealed handgun. Believe it or not you wont have terrorize your loved ones or brandish it at work thus jeopardizing your job. Strange but true.

And what if I actually use the thing, will my daughter respect me more after she was tromatize by seing daddy blowing the head of someone?

Well what if? If you had to use thing, dont you think it would be situation where you felt you or your loved one life was in iniment danger? Would you rather lose someone you care about or be able to defend against it? A traumatizing event? With out a doubt. I dont wish it on anyone. But wishing doesnt stop bad things from happening to good people.

Carrying a gun at the belt is a piss poor solution, trying to avoid being in trouble in the first place might be a better behavior/example.

Its a piss poor solution to what? And do you honestly think trying to avoid trouble is a 100% guarantee of safety? Its a good philosophy don't get me wrong. Don't go look for it, just be prepared for it, right? It really boils down to your ability to be a responsible gun owner. It doesnt sound like you've put much thought it to it though.

Do you have kids Slash?

No, and dont give me any bull**** " you dont know how it is" crap either. Its not going to fly.

Offline SFRT - Frenchy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #99 on: March 06, 2006, 10:36:29 PM »
It's just that when I was 17-18, I was going out with a gun under my shirt and I almost didn't see anything wrong with that. Now I would feel stupid. People change when they start a familly, that's why I asked.
Dat jugs bro.

------------------------

Offline fartwinkle

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #100 on: March 06, 2006, 11:07:29 PM »
Really stupid times we live in folks and there are people out there who will kill you for 5 bucks in your pocket.
You dammed right I carry.

[/URL][/IMG]

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #101 on: March 06, 2006, 11:37:28 PM »
It's just that when I was 17-18, I was going out with a gun under my shirt and I almost didn't see anything wrong with that. Now I would feel stupid. People change when they start a familly, that's why I asked.

Well that was a different time and now have a different view on life. I dont think it would make you a hypocrite to carry a firearm legally now. Just my views on it and I dont think you'd be wrong not carry either.

and take care.

Offline SFRT - Frenchy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #102 on: March 07, 2006, 01:20:25 AM »
Be safe man.
Dat jugs bro.

------------------------

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #103 on: March 07, 2006, 08:34:17 AM »
frenchy.... my kids all grew up with guns around.   They are not frieghtened by guns in the least and I would like to think that if I had to shoot someone my kids would know..... before there was even any proof.... that I did it because it was the only way.   They would be glad that I survived.

and... they would be glad that I had the gun on me.

I carried a gun for a different purpose when I was young too.   I am different now.   That does not mean that there is no reason to carry one now...  My take is that if you are a decent person... their is more reason these days.  

But.... you are of course correct in that the very best thing is to try to avoid trouble at allmost any cost.

lazs

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #104 on: March 07, 2006, 09:19:06 AM »
Wierd.. at least from my perspective. I've had an interesting life, done a buncha neat stuff, been to some pretty off-the wall places.

I've never 'needed' a gun out of uniform.

I've no predeliction to 'carry', never felt threatened. I have run into situations where common sense said 'move... NOW' and I've followed my instincts. Still safe, still breathing. Kept my family safe, raised a kid, never had a weapon in the house.

Now, I've got a pretty fun new hobby. It started semi-serious, got serious, now it's semi-serious again; collecting fine old military weapons and selling 'em is an outright blast and it's allowed me to 'finish' de-liberalizing my kid, armed the key members of my extended family, taught 'em all skills that could be important one day.. but still; here; now; I don't need to 'carry'.

What I found absolutely surprising as hell is the reaction some folks have to having control of a weapon; how different folks 'absorb' the power.

One day on the way to the range the guy I was riding with is taking side streets, winding his way indirectly to the range. I asked him whats up.. he says 'Ive never been through 'this' part of town with a gun before'. 'This' was a black neighborhood. I wigged.. I don't think I've hollered at my kid so loud as I was with this guy..  

'Power'. Scary stuff in the wrong hands. Frankly, I don't think the guy was wired quite right from birth, he's made wierd flying decisons too so I souldn't have been too surprised, nonetheless I was pissed that he'd haul me along on his lil exploration, putting my good name and my prized weapons at an elevated risk for a 'thrill ride'.

When I've got a weapon under immediate personal control I'm more alert to my surroundings, I'm cautious about 'encounters', I'm disposed to NOT get confrontational, I avoid any situtaion that could result in a 'challenge'. In short, I'm a cocky loudmouth without a worry in the world when I'm 'clean'. Put a piece under my control and I tend to fade back, become less of a wize bellybutton and stay the hell away from marginal situtations.

Looking at what I've just typed, I'm suddenly wondering if there's something wrong with the way I'M wired?

...at home, or abroad.