Author Topic: Global Warming... is THIS how we'll perish?  (Read 17936 times)

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
Global Warming... is THIS how we'll perish?
« on: March 23, 2006, 08:07:56 AM »
Rolex brought up something in the Theology thread.. basically; we've screwed the atmosphere, so we're gonna melt.. or something... and the endgame is 20 years off or thereabouts.

As a kickoff, he alluded to the grounding of airtraffic 'worldwide' Sept 11/12 2001 (I thought  just North American flight flight profiles were affected) and the resultant temp change became instantly obvious; therefore all previous warming models were suspect.

The whole thing sounds pretty outlandish.. but that could be filtered spin. I dunno what the facts are... or how to even begin to identify beliveable sources. Certainly, the weather's been pretty whacked the past two seasons.. I CAN believe my own eyes, but then again; there's been some whacked seasonal anomolies in my lifetime before.

Whats the deal?
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2006, 08:18:39 AM »
yep... it is people like beetle who fly around in grossly polluting jets "traveling" as tourists for no other reason than to get drunk and eat at different resteraunts  for a couple of weeks and then go and tell everyone how much it has enriched their lives..

killing the planet just to have a different view from the resteraunt booth...

lazs

Offline SOB

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2006, 08:20:26 AM »
I think you just broke my troll detector.  The needle flew into the red so fast it just broke off.
Three Times One Minus One.  Dayum!

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2006, 08:20:40 AM »
lol

The two of you (Hangtime and Lazs) sure seem to let Beet1e get under your skin.:rofl
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2006, 08:28:37 AM »
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline AWMac

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2006, 08:29:09 AM »
Originally posted by Curval
lol

The two of you (Hangtime and Lazs) sure seem to let Beet1e get under your skin.:rofl

Naw Curval I think Hangtime and Lazs is just trying to help Beet1e with his "anger" issues.  Great Community here, helping each other and all!

:aok

Mac

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2006, 08:31:43 AM »
Personally I've seen the arguments from both sides and it seems there is still an active ongoing discusssion in the science community  as to who's correct and what is actually going to happen.  People on both sides of the issue are using junk science as well so it's hard to filter out what is fact from fiction.

The fact that the environmentalnazi liberals have gotten involved doesn't make it any easier.  To some of them reguardless of what the outcome they see this as a spring board for their long held environmental issues even sudgesting such issues as mandated population control.  Now I realize that some of these outspoken wackos are just fringe groups but they are vocal enough to cloud the real meat of the issue.

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2006, 08:44:02 AM »
rolex claims that we are becoming a people who simply talk... I am saying that we are becoming a strictly political people who mix politics and science and come up with PC junk science based on what the politicians want to achieve..  scientists are paid to get the "right" results or they don't get on the today show or get that grant money.

Still.... no flights except emergency should be allowed.... tourism is the greatest evil and will be responsible for the deaths of billions.

lazs

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2006, 08:59:20 AM »
While I think yer both right (talkers and spin/science) I still don't know what the salient facts (if any) are behind the uproar.

Just what in hell does air traffic have to do with global warming? I mean, fer cripes sake, this planet is freakkin HUGE... to suggest that jet exhaust is what's whackin the atmosphere seems just... ludicrious.

Next.. unless I missed something again, the shutdown in airtraffic supposedly got things warmer... wouldn't that tend to indicate we need MORE air traffic to counteract global warming?

Damn, I gotta be missing some big chunks of info here...  all those years of tuning out the tree huggers has just come round ta bite me.
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline Dinger

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2006, 09:20:52 AM »
The big effect of airtraffic was immediately obvious to me living under J-80 at the date in question. You'd look up and instead of seeing several bands of contrails streaking E-W, there was nothing but blue skies. Jets create contrails. Contrails provide a non-trivial amount of cloud cover. Clouds reflect sunlight.
This effect has little to do with global warming. The NASA guy whom the administration tried to muzzle was the one pointing out the very close correlation between mean temperature on earth and atmospheric CO2 levels.
Global warming is really gonna screw up civilized living, but it by itself probably won't knock off the human population.
Even without global warming, we've got some really interesting times ahead: the whole world is built on cheap non-renewal energy, and we use these to sustain extremely high population in general, and high population densities. It's questionable that we'll "find some other" equally cheap energy source once we restore to the atmosphere all the CO2 that's been stored over the last who knows how many hundreds of millions of years.
As mammals, when resources get scarce, elevated intraspecies aggression is a result. As mammals armed with nukes and biological weapons, things can get dicy.
If I could send a message to what humans there may be 2 centuries from now, it would be, "It was a great party -- sorry about the mess!"

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Re: Global Warming... is THIS how we'll perish?
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2006, 09:43:36 AM »
Originally posted by Hangtime
(I thought  just North American flight flight profiles were affected)  
No, the UK shut down its airspace as a precaution too. Good job we did, as it thwarted the attempts by another terror cell who were planning to make a suicide flight from LHR.
The two of you (Hangtime and Lazs) sure seem to let Beet1e get under your skin.

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2006, 09:46:28 AM »
Originally posted by Dinger
This effect has little to do with global warming. The NASA guy whom the administration tried to muzzle was the one pointing out the very close correlation between mean temperature on earth and atmospheric CO2 levels.

I didnt read the entire article on the site but I did see the episode from which it is from.
One particular portion of the program impressed me about him.

And to be fair to both sides. He stated that while the current administration is trying to muzzle him or have him understate the problem he also stated that the Clinton administration tried to get him to overstate the problem.

He is refusing to do either instead stating what his true findings are
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline nirvana

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2006, 09:51:53 AM »
Originally posted by SOB
I think you just broke my troll detector.  The needle flew into the red so fast it just broke off.

Har har har:aok
Who are you to wave your finger?

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2006, 10:15:36 AM »
Laz,

Is is OK if I continue to be a tourist? I don't fly and I almost never go through more than 250 gallons of diesel a month. I also spend time where we stop and see what the real local folks are like.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2006, 10:27:48 AM »
Originally posted by DREDIOCK
I didnt read the entire article on the site but I did see the episode from which it is from.
One particular portion of the program impressed me about him.

And to be fair to both sides. He stated that while the current administration is trying to muzzle him or have him understate the problem he also stated that the Clinton administration tried to get him to overstate the problem.

He is refusing to do either instead stating what his true findings are

Ah! Sounds like I'd like to see this article... got a linky i can clicky?

...at home, or abroad.