Author Topic: Please check this link out  (Read 676 times)

Sturm

Please check this link out
« on: April 27, 2001, 12:10:00 PM »

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2001, 12:18:00 PM »
Sturm,

Great site. Wish I could say something near as moving as that "old Soldier".

<SALUTE> to that "Old Soldier"

Mav
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Boroda

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2001, 12:39:00 PM »
Salute!

------------------
With respect,
    Pavel Pavlov,
    Commissar 25th IAP WB VVS

Offline fd ski

• Silver Member
      • http://www.northotwing.com/wing/
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2001, 01:03:00 PM »
We lost our way...

The shaprened stick is a real man's weapon.. not some fancy gun powerder stick !!!!

The stone sling was unjustly taken away form our warriors !!!

Two words: stupid nostalgia.
If we kept staying with "the way" we so cherish, we would still be shooting arrows and throwing stones ( which in itself is not such a bad idea )

Politics and paperpushers always rules military in the time of piece - look at US Army 1939. Think it's bad now ?

I thought the equal oppotrunity thingy was funny, considering how deeply the rasism was ( and still to some extend is ) rooted in Armed Forces. ( black blood transfusion anyone ? )

------------------
Bartlomiej Rajewski
aka. Wing Commander fd-ski
Northolt Wing
1st Polish Fighter Wing
303 (Polish) Squadron "Kosciuszko" RAF
308 (Polish) Squadron "City of Cracow" RAF
315 (Polish) Squadron "City of Deblin" RAF

Turning 109s and 190s into scrap metal since 1998

Northolt Wing Headquarters

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2001, 01:17:00 PM »
Hey FD, grab your sharpened stick and head over to Kososvo strip and stand between those two opposing forces, would ya?

Keep the peace for a month or two and we'll send another guy to replace ya.  

Stick like that...shouldn't need more than one guy at at time.  
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.psys07629.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/272/index.html
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2001, 01:24:00 PM »
Trite and over-sentimental in the extreme.

It seems some people have a hankering for a past they didn't live through, or was so long ago that only the 'good' things stick in their mind.

So 'equal opportunities' is 'politically correct social engineering'? I think it's sadly ironic that most of those shots are from WW2 - a time when black US soldiers were dying for the US, but had barely any rights at all back 'home'. Is that really something to be proud of?

The whole thing was disrespectful, simplistic and cynical. Quite an achievement.

A big <S> to the creator of this site - I can't think of a better way of abusing the memory of those who fought and died in those conflicts.
War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.

Sandman_SBM

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2001, 02:06:00 PM »
Yawn...

Offline miko2d

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2001, 02:09:00 PM »
 You can take anything out of context and attribute it any meaning you wish.
 How the hell did the author know what that guy did die for? Leave him alone, you heartless bastard!

With all due respect to our military, that was a very stupid presentation. His use of the material makes me sick. You should not take sleazy methods and apply them to the worthy cause, like the author tried to do.

miko

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2001, 02:26:00 PM »
You guys realize those "buzzwords" are from the new Army trying to redefine itself? The "black berets" for all school?]

I think the point he was trying to make, however well, poorly, tastelessly, etc. was that when it gets down to the "nut cuttin' " (to use a rural expression) buzzwords don't mean much.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Sandman_SBM

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2001, 02:32:00 PM »
I've heard the rants from the active Army types... what they fail to realize is that the recruiting campaign is not meant for them. Preaching to the converted is a waste of time. If the Army expects to attract new people, they need to update their approach.

What they also fail to grasp is another meaning of the phrase, "Army of One." It's also a threat. If this one single man can be so capable, so efficient and so deadly... imagine an entire army of them. That is the point.

The Army has already noted that the new campaign seems to be working. Recruitment is up.

Sturm

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2001, 02:44:00 PM »
You know what I just looked at the source code and not one mention of the enlisted corp.  Makes me wonder.

<META NAME ="keywords" CONTENT="army, army of one, armyreadiness, consideration of others, equal opportunity, risk aversion, pretty powerpoint charts, flamethrower, flash, force protection, sniper, machinegun, bataan, awol, political correctness, assault, beach, father, son, message, lost our way, readiness, military, morale, leader, leaders, leadership, training, train, trainers, armor, infantry, artillery, intelligence, aviation, air, defense, basic, chaplain, chemical, combined, arms, engineers, finance, special, forces, signal, quartermaster, ordnance, transportation, schools, centers, decline, generals, colonels, majors, captains, lieutenants, general, colonel, major, captain, lieutenant, officer, officers, reports, reporting, US Army, U.S. Army, United States Army">

Offline blur

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2001, 02:51:00 PM »
Maybe pretty Powerpoint charts can't hack it but the Macromedia Flash Player can certainly get the job done!

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2001, 12:57:00 PM »
Ah, I see. RECRUITMENT is up.

Don't think that was the point either.

Recruitment is advertising. It's selling the sizzle whether you have a steak or not.

Readiness? There's lots of pilots that haven't been to the range in months. No money and no time after all the deployments.

Training? There's tank crews training in golf carts. No money for gas or repairs on the actual hardware.

Let's see how recruiting impresses the bad guys next time it comes to the nut cuttin'.

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2001, 08:07:00 PM »
Good pictures, I liked the music. WTF was that toejamty text?

Anyone know what music he used? I'd like to have it.

jato757

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2001, 05:33:00 PM »
in my opinion this new world is going to be more woried about there ace in the hole, take this china incedent that just pased by, i think we were way to leanyent. all because we in america can take buessines from hear, and do it over there for half the price, so yep, we have lost our way in more aspects than one. if ya think about it prity soon thats all its gonna be, army of 1 sorry if this is of the topic but it goes along the same lines.    

[This message has been edited by jato757 (edited 04-29-2001).]