Author Topic: Loose Cannons - and the future of Aces High  (Read 25601 times)

Offline Killjoy2

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.nortonfamily.net
Loose Cannons - and the future of Aces High
« on: March 28, 2006, 03:40:32 PM »
Dismissing the Loose Cannons Alliance as just a horde is missing the point of what is happening.

It's not a horde when the LCA mount a mission.  It's planning.  It's leadership. It's really difficult to sustain.  It's relatively easy to take a plane up and furball.  

It is a magnitude more difficult to organize a raid.  It is much harder to do several in a row.

We have a wonderful tool with Aces High, but it is under utilized.  It's being used as an arcade game when it has the resources to be much more.

What LCA is fooling with is a new level of warfare in Aces High.  How will ithe "other" countries meet the challenge?  So far all we get is whineing.  The Nits and Bish might as well be the French when Germany rolled right over them.  NO FAIR, they used  BLITZKRIEG on us, what a bunch of losers."

I hope the pathetic Nits and Bish can pull their heads out and organize an LCA of thier own and then we will battle plan against plan.

More planning, better execution of plans and co-ordination of plans within planes.  Many of us have reached our limit with Aces High game play.  There's just so many dweebs you can hammer with your favorite plane before you begin to get bored.

The challenge is organizing dweebs into an effective fighting force.  This is unlimited potential for Aces High.

Salute to the LCA!

Offline Hoarach

• Gold Member
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2006, 03:52:41 PM »
Um yea, just up a fighter and kill them buff hoarde dweebs.  Not hard to outfly them and them big ol buffs make big easy targets.  Just up in numbers and meet them to blast them out of the skies.  But there are always those few that make it through that get in to pork our wittle FHs and sometimes they fly to high to even meet. :furious
Fringe
Nose Art
80th FS "Headhunters"

Secret Association of P38 Pilots

Offline Simaril

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2006, 04:02:38 PM »
Missions are nothing more than application of a tried and true maxim, the concentration of force. While the LCA is new, the concept surely is not -- not even in aces high. Just ask DoKGonZo, who was literally there (and creatively participating) at the beginning of online simulated air combat a decade or more ago.

No matter what LCA brings to AH, the repeated talk of breaking new ground or inventing a new way to play is no more than the puffery of the historically unaware.

With AH arena numbers climbing ever higher, coordinated actions with squads or per-mission alliances may become more important in order to get anything done.

But, thats the key phrase -- "to get anything done." Most of the flak I've heard the LCA guys gets comes because their concept of getting things done is base capture only. Which is great if thats what floats your boat.

I think you'll find, though, that what floats your boat may change as you build your skill set and as mission profiles get stale. In just the few weeks since the LCAs shoved themselves to the forefront of Ch200, missions have already evolved from 16K buff-fests with no attempt at capture, to some NOE raids with accompanying goons and Jabos, and even fighter sweeps and jabo base attacks with dogfighting afterwards.

All of which have been a staple of squad nights for literally years.

So welcome to AH, glad you're having fun -- but you might want to rethink the part about being the harbinger of some great "new level" in AH gameplay. It sounds silly to me, and I've been here only 2 years. You cant imagine what it sounds like to the true veterans.

EDIT
MUST check out the quarterly Special Events recreations of historical campaigns like the Battle of Britain and (currently) Stalin's Fourth. This concept, which legend has it was invented by DokGonzo back in the day of Airwarrior and 24.4 modem connections, is precisely what you're bragging about developing in the arena least conducive to it.>
« Last Edit: March 28, 2006, 04:09:25 PM by Simaril »
Maturity is knowing that I've been an idiot in the past.
Wisdom is realizing I will be an idiot in the future.
Common sense is trying to not be an idiot right now

"Social Fads are for sheeple." - Meatwad

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2006, 04:06:24 PM »
Originally posted by Simaril
Missions are nothing more than application of a tried and true maxim, the concentration of force. While the LCA is new, the concept surely is not -- not even in aces high. Just ask DoKGonZo, who was literally there (and creatively participating) at the beginning of online simulated air combat a decade or more ago.

No matter what LCA brings to AH, the repeated talk of breaking new ground or inventing a new way to play is no more than the puffery of the historically unaware.

With AH arena numbers climbing ever higher, coordinated actions with squads or per-mission alliances may become more important in order to get anything done.

But, thats the key phrase -- "to get anything done." Most of the flak I've heard the LCA guys gets comes because their concept of getting things done is base capture only. Which is great if thats what floats your boat.

I think you'll find, though, that what floats your boat may change as you build your skill set and as mission profiles get stale. In just the few weeks since the LCAs shoved themselves to the forefront of Ch200, missions have already evolved from 16K buff-fests with no attempt at capture, to some NOE raids with accompanying goons and Jabos, and even fighter sweeps and jabo base attacks with dogfighting afterwards.

All of which have been a staple of squad nights for literally years.

So welcome to AH, glad you're having fun -- but you might want to rethink the part about being the harbinger of some great "new level" in AH gameplay. It sounds silly to me, and I've been here only 2 years. You cant imagine what it sounds like to the true veterans.

Priceless !!!  :aok
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2006, 04:08:51 PM »
Gang milkrunning toolsheds and vulching fields is nothing new, most with real skill just quickly out-grow this hamster-wheel run-on activity in favor of just playing for the sheer joy and love of WW2 air combat and the adrenalin fix of an intense fight. I have yet to hear of anyone getting an adrenalin rush from porking FH's in their 25k B24s and dreaming about it that night as they slept...

Domino hording fields doesn't keep people playing long-term, fun fights they dream about and replay in their mind's keep people playing this genre for years and years...Trust us who've been at this since the internet was a lil' baby and AH was but a dream in Dale's mind...

Zazen
« Last Edit: March 28, 2006, 04:29:07 PM by Zazen13 »
Zazen PhD of Cherrypickology
Author of, "The Zen Art of Cherrypicking" and other related works.
Quote, "Cherrypicking is a state of mind & being, not only Art and Scienc

Offline mars01

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2006, 04:09:00 PM »
[SIZE=10]Oh Please HT, Please finish CT/TOD soon.  Please![/SIZE]

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2006, 04:11:12 PM »
Originally posted by mars01
[SIZE=10]Oh Please HT, Please finish CT/TOD soon.  Please![/SIZE]

Yup, then all the milkrunning, toolshedding, gang-vulching land-grabbers can go there and the MA will regain its former glory as one giant Fighter Town! I can't wait....:aok

Zazen

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2006, 04:17:19 PM »
Running around with a 5 to 1 numerical advantage and blowing up sheds is anything but new; trying to laud it as some improvement or advancement in gameplay and tactics is also stale.
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney
I was wondering why I get ignored so often.  -Hitech

Offline jaxxo

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2006, 04:24:51 PM »
it will get old..trust me...have fun while you still enjoy it. Zazen was right when he said after a few years the sorties of "remember when 200 of us took that field" will not endure..jmo

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2006, 04:32:26 PM »
Funny part is they think this is something new ... after the CAF wrote the book on it about a year or so ago.

Can't wait to hear more ENY whines after this gets going ... they might end up having the Rooks hate them for it.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline Warchief

• Copper Member
      • http://
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2006, 04:35:18 PM »
Hate to burst your bubble there Killjoy but I been around since Aces High 1 and that sounds about as old as AH1. I find the funny part is it is called an Alliance. :rofl. Let me see here you outnumber your oppenent sometimes by 5 to 1 which means you up mass bombers raid to kill FH on knit and Bish fields. MMMM I smell fear in the air. LMAO!!! Look killjoy the tactics you are saying have been used by everyone who has flown AH for a good while. Then again most of the time it is used a defense measure against overwhelming numbers. Now I am not trying to take anything away from you guys. Hats off on the pllaning part. But not really hard to plan. Now to maintain the attack yes a defintely salute. But before you brag about it please to talk to Mikeb31 and JoeDog(now a KNit) about the massive Bish missions they have put together. The onyl thing is we didnt call it allaince we called it massive mission. But sitting around in a bunhc of bombers singing Com By Ya is nothing new. If you guys were flying the bombers upside down doing that then that would be new.

ON a seperate note Rooks. That was one hell of a defensive last night. Very much impressive. Knits smart move as well hitting the Bish underbelly so we couldnt get the reset before I logged off. Those were some outstanding fights over A45 and A24. We held you guys at bay for a long while.

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2006, 04:36:15 PM »
Originally posted by SlapShot
they might end up having the Rooks hate them for it.

They already have, there's no waiting about it...

Loose Cannon Alliance = organized group of FH dropping, toolshedding fun Nazi's

Offline killnu

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2006, 05:38:28 PM »
they have slapshot...nits have been nice to 475th.
Karma, it follows you every where you go...

++The Blue Knights++

Offline TalonX

• Silver Member
Organized Assaults
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2006, 05:45:33 PM »
I enjoy it, although I rarely fly with the LCA.   When I do, I generally enjoy it.....when I don't it is because the organization is lacking, and the congo line sets up.

Funny thing - I enjoy taking bases....in each case that my squad does it, we certainly kill hangars, but we always engage fighters over the base, often co-alt or higher at the beginning.   There is something in an organized assault for everyone - buffs, jabo, fighters.    If you take the field, great...move to the next field and repeat.

The more you take, the better the defense until you are stopped...also fun.

The goal of the game is to win the war with the taking of bases.   Not everyone does it because they have found the niche in which they reside - be it fighters and furballs, or long range buffs, or GV's.  I find no fault with any of them.

The irony of this post is the continual complaining when someone doesn't play the game in your image.  

Live and let live.

-TalonX

Forgotten, but back in the game.  :)

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
Re: Organized Assaults
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2006, 05:50:30 PM »
Originally posted by TalonX
The goal of the game is to win the war with the taking of bases.  

Silly me I always thought the goal of 'the game' or any game was to have fun. If land-grabbing is fun for you so be it. But, don't assume because you perceive land-grabbing as the object of the game at the expense of all else others do as well. Many, I would be inclined to say the majority, judging by the popularity of Fightertown on Donut, really just want to have fun, engage in air to air combat, and furball in fighters...You may 'win the map' by land-grabbing a  team down to 5 fields, but the Fighter jock furballers, wins the game every flight he has a good adrenalin rushing fight.

Zazen
« Last Edit: March 28, 2006, 05:55:11 PM by Zazen13 »