Author Topic: Loose Cannons - and the future of Aces High  (Read 25647 times)

Offline BigR

• Silver Member
Loose Cannons - and the future of Aces High
« Reply #105 on: March 30, 2006, 02:03:16 PM »
You guys are the reason I switched to Knits last couple nites. I felt dirty as hell flying as a rook. This number imbalance has gotten out of hand. The only way its going to change is if people switch countries and fight back.

Dont pretend that youre doing anything innovative. Overwhelming numbers isnt great planning. Its just overwhelming numbers. :rolleyes:

I saw the Knits SNEAK bases last nite because thats how they had to do it. Now THATS impressive.

Offline nark

• Zinc Member
« Reply #106 on: March 30, 2006, 02:17:03 PM »
I left rooks last night as well-not due to the fact that I felt sorry for the killing going on, or I felt bad that the nights were out numbered-it was just a switch because there are were no air targets available for any rooks to shoot at.

So I went with the Nights and found myself getting an average of 14 perk points a kill last night and racked up a ton perks that I can put to use as  a rook when the #'s are more even...

Offline Wilbus

• Platinum Member
« Reply #107 on: March 30, 2006, 02:33:09 PM »
Only really bothered with reading the first few posts... really is priceless :D

Inventors of massive raids :huh

I've only been here since the first day of the open beta and I've never seen it before, surprised noone has thought of it before :rolleyes:

How long is that really? Anyone remember when AH beta was released? 99? 7 years ago? Damn I must be getting old.
Rasmus "Wilbus" Mattsson

Liberating Livestock since 1998, recently returned from a 5 year Sheep-care training camp.

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #108 on: March 30, 2006, 02:34:27 PM »
Originally posted by DoKGonZo
SlapShot, most of the people I see killing ord and barracks do it with cannon. And they do it two or three levels deep on the map. No way you're convincing me that such a "tactic" has anything to do with trying to actually capture bases.

I wouldn't doubt that for a second Dok ... but, no way your gonna convince me that it's the "furballers" that are doing it ... especially to grief the strat guys. It goes against the grain ... too much time ... too easy to do ... too little reward ... no fighting involved.

It's other strateegery guys that are doing it to try and stop the horde or prevent the others from winning the war. They are the only ones who give a crap wether there are troops and ord available. Those items are not the concern of people who furball ... they mean nothing in the scheme of things.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #109 on: March 30, 2006, 02:43:29 PM »
Originally posted by Donzo
Not off hand.  
This is exactly what I am suggesting should be done instead of the whining.

Well ... there you have it. It's a one-sided grief-fest.

Whining / complaining ... whatever you want to call it ... the furballers complain, and rightly so, when the strateegerist pork fields that are supplying a furball for no other reason than to piss people off or "too many resources are being used in the furball".

What those dolts don't realize is that a furball DOES tie up the other countries resources too, so it's a give and take and also, when they kill the furball, don't think for a second that all of those who were participating say to themselves ... "Aw shucks ... I guess I will join in the gang-bang fun". They will either log or try to find some other area to try and start a good furball again.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline DoKGonZo

• Silver Member
      • http://www.gonzoville.com
« Reply #110 on: March 30, 2006, 03:26:25 PM »
Originally posted by SlapShot
I wouldn't doubt that for a second Dok ... but, no way your gonna convince me that it's the "furballers" that are doing it ... especially to grief the strat guys. It goes against the grain ... too much time ... too easy to do ... too little reward ... no fighting involved.

No ... I know it isn't.

They seem to fall into one of two camps. Either they're "helping their side" by porking all night (the pork'n'run subspecies), or they're using the one or two passes on an outhouse to justify the two or three passes they get on the runway to maybe get a kill or two before getting, obviously, killed themselves. Either way, they usually fly alone and decline any and all combat unless the target is somehow in contact with the ground, or was so in the last 15 seconds.

But we're really all talking about the same behavior. If there's an easy way requiring next to no skill for one player to inconvenience a lot of opposing players, or to achieve some kind of "victory" as measured by the game, that way will be taken. Be it lawndarting a barracks or NOE bombing a FH or parking a Panzer in a hangar or hiding a CV or mindless, suicidal runway vultching. And the volume under the curve where the number of n00bs meets the number of game exploits has gotten pretty damn huge.

Of course, blaming one squad that's barely been running six weeks for all of this don't make much sense either.

Offline 96Delta

• Nickel Member
      • Loose Cannons Alliance (LCA)  "Realize Your Potential"
« Reply #111 on: March 30, 2006, 04:14:36 PM »
the pork'n'run subspecies

LOL, I love it! :lol
DoK...you are gifted orator.  

« Last Edit: March 30, 2006, 04:17:26 PM by 96Delta »

To be sure you are going to Heaven when you die  CLICK HERE.

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #112 on: March 30, 2006, 04:33:57 PM »
Of course, blaming one squad that's barely been running six weeks for all of this don't make much sense either.

The started tootin' their own horn first and made their intentions know admist all the controversy. Had they just went about doing their business without trying to rub one's nose in it ... you wouldn't need to defend it.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #113 on: March 30, 2006, 04:36:57 PM »
the pork'n'run

They are just one notch above the pork'n'auger sub-sub species on the evolutionary chain. At least they have evolved to the point that they can continue to fly (at least for awhile) after delivery.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Offline DoKGonZo

• Silver Member
« Reply #114 on: March 30, 2006, 05:06:15 PM »

The started tootin' their own horn first and made their intentions know admist all the controversy. Had they just went about doing their business without trying to rub one's nose in it ... you wouldn't need to defend it.

Actually, KillJoy (who started this particular thread) isn't an LCA member. He's someone I usually fly with in fact. Part of the ancient order of "Flying Zoo/Flying Pigs/Well FU We're Old."

In fact none of the threads on the LCA were started by LCA members. My guess is were it not for the capture of FT (I still don't know who actually ran troops) no one would have even noticed.

Offline DoKGonZo

• Silver Member
« Reply #115 on: March 30, 2006, 05:07:43 PM »
the pork'n'run

They are just one notch above the pork'n'auger sub-sub species on the evolutionary chain. At least they have evolved to the point that they can continue to fly (at least for awhile) after delivery.

Indeed, some nites when there's an especially dense low IQ front, it practically rains p'n'a dweebs.

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #116 on: March 30, 2006, 05:29:25 PM »
Sim, it goes on constantly, regardless of odds. I wouldn't call it an organized effort, but it's incessant.

Porking a frontline base I can pretty much justify. Porking two or three levels deep may be "allowed" but it gives one player way too much ability to negatively impact many.

Revise your tactics.  

As for "porking two or three deep", I haven't witnessed this since AH1.  Now, if CAF's objective is "Field Capture", as CO I will dispatch some to the surrounding bases to hit the VH and sometimes Ord.  Why?  It INCREASES the odds of base capture.  

I CANNOT wait to see if what is currently being discussed, is going on.  Because if so, I'll DELIBERATELY shoot all of you down after I switch to the country you are "sweeping", or I'll deliberately make you killshoot.    Toolshedding has become a sissified way to protect "rank" and allow the meager to send the CV's in as fodder while 10 feet off shore, while the geniuses have no disregard for it.  

I have taken a much needed three week break from this game.   I'm tired of the toolshedding of bases that have a furball going.  What I found pathetic before my break, was this very thing going on.  OldCuss went on a tirade about "furballers" on my last night.   If some HATE FURBALLING, great, toolshed somewhere else.  If you need to boost your Bomber, Attack rank that bad as to ruin the fun of a furball, you are pathetic.  

MY PC should be up and running Sat./Sun.  I cannot WAIT.

Karaya

PS - I already realize I suck, won't make any lists, etc.  All I do is shoot down the "best" and get shot down by the worst, like the REST OF US.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline JMFJ

• Copper Member
« Reply #117 on: March 30, 2006, 05:58:50 PM »
To win the war, which correct me if I'm wrong is the over-all basis/concept of the game.  People have to die, objects have to be blown up, etc....

I get my enjoyment out of the GV's, so when there is no TT I'm always looking for a good tank fight (A persay furball for tanks).  Nothing is more irritating than when we have a 2 opposing spawn points (kind of a mini TT) where we are getting a good fight going and someone flies in w/bombs & drops the VH to one of those bases.

But really why should my little preference which is non-productive, have vito rights over the basic concept of the game to take over bases.  If they didn't drop that VH they would have Flaks all over it with in minutes of the attack, and plan foiled.  So I pack up my bags and go lookin for another GV fight.  (But I will be the first person openly cussing someone on the 12 channel for knocking down a hanger in TT/FT unless it's to win the war)

I don't think the plane furballers are in much of a different position, they are trying to enjoy one aspect of the game, good for them I CAN RELATE.  But to get pissed when someone wants to progress the war one way or the other seems pretty unreasonable.

Additionally knocking down FH, BH, VH, Ord, Troops, or combo's are all things that need to be taken down depending on what you want to do.

I'll take down ordinance on a field just so I can camp the VH without fear of being bombed by an A20.  Has nothing to do with trying to ruin someones bombing fun, that's just the process you do if you wanna camp a VH.  Really no different than preping a field for a vulch, you knock down ACK and VH.  People aren't just knocking down things to make other players mad, I find more times than not they're doing to create fun for themselves.

Most of the people that SEEM to have a problem (or appear to based on their own posts) with what others are doing are the nonproductive (in regards to the war) guys who just want to enjoy the super fun side of being an Ord Monkey, or the furballing in GV's, or Planes.

But if your gonna pay money to play you do what you want, that's only fair.  But the drastic difference between furballing & fighting the war, is they contrast each other so much it takes away from each others fun.

A viable solution is group the people who like to play the same way together.  The most amount of people I've ever seen in the Combat Arena is like 14.  Turn the Combat Arena into a furballers heaven.  Make the maps so they only rotate 1 per week with maps that have TT/FT in it.  Make so the bases can't be captured.  That way when you want to furball there will always be a swath of guys there for just that.

But still have the MA for the guys who like missions, strategic captures, porking, and all the things that go with winning the war.  I know myself I would go Combat Arena to TT until I'm sick of it and then switch to the Main Arena when I wanna do something that entails group effort, cause I enjoy both aspects of the game and will get burnt out if i do one to long.

Furballing is a part of the game, not THE GAME.  Make a place for furballers, and peace will follow.

JMFJ
« Last Edit: March 30, 2006, 06:02:07 PM by JMFJ »

Offline killnu

• Gold Member
« Reply #118 on: March 30, 2006, 06:12:39 PM »
Furballing is a part of the game, not THE GAME

for you, that may be true.  not for me.  I play this game for one reason only, to have fun.  most of the time, fun to me is air to air combat.  i may do a gv run, or a base take at some point, but i could care less about who wins the "war".  I am in no way saying that others dont/shouldnt play for that, thats up to them.
Dont think just because you play to "win the war" that everyone else does.  everybody does not share you goal.

not directed just to you in particular, but is plural for all players who think "win the war" is the goal.
Karma, it follows you every where you go...

++The Blue Knights++

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #119 on: March 30, 2006, 06:20:28 PM »
Originally posted by killnu
for you, that may be true.  not for me.  I play this game for one reason only, to have fun.  most of the time, fun to me is air to air combat.  i may do a gv run, or a base take at some point, but i could care less about who wins the "war".  I am in no way saying that others dont/shouldnt play for that, thats up to them.
Dont think just because you play to "win the war" that everyone else does.  everybody does not share you goal.

not directed just to you in particular, but is plural for all players who think "win the war" is the goal.

Damn straight.  A few us are left.

Karaya
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC