Author Topic: Why unions still suck  (Read 3077 times)

Offline Mickey1992

• Gold Member
Why unions still suck
« on: March 30, 2006, 04:04:35 PM »
This sort of crap makes me sick.  And some wonder why the common man hates unions.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060330/ap_on_re_us/philly_unions_urinals

Philly Plumbers Upset by Waterless Urinals

(Summary)

PHILADELPHIA (AP)- This city's hoped-for bragging rights as home of America's tallest environmentally friendly building could go down the toilet.

In a city where organized labor is a force to be reckoned with, the plumbers union has been raising a stink about a developer's plans to install 116 waterless, no-flush urinals in what will be Philadelphia's biggest skyscraper.

Developer Liberty Property Trust says the urinals would save 1.6 million gallons of water a year at the 57-story Comcast Center, expected to open next year.

But the union put out the word it doesn't like the idea of waterless urinals — fewer pipes mean less work.

Offline Choocha

• Copper Member
Why unions still suck
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2006, 04:31:11 PM »
UNION's are a disgusting cancer that infects its host then slowly, and painfuly kills its victims (General Motors etc.....)

Offline Gunthr

• Gold Member
      • http://www.dot.squat
Why unions still suck
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2006, 04:35:26 PM »
I think there is a definate life-cycle for unions.  They serve a purpose in the beginning, but they eventually become useless, or even worse, a parasite on the host.

What a great idea the waterless urinal is.  Here is how it works (see the maintainance video)

http://www.waterless.com/video.php
"When I speak I put on a mask. When I act, I am forced to take it off."  - Helvetius 18th Century

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Why unions still suck
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2006, 05:02:30 PM »
Hah, you think you have it bad?

I remember when Britain's trains made the transition from being steam powered to being hauled by diesel locomotive. The labour union still insisted that a "fireman" be present in the cab of the diesel loco - but of course there was no job for him to do.

Those were the days when the unions, with some input from the Labour Government, pretty much ran the country.

Margaret Thatcher changed all that. :aok

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
Why unions still suck
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2006, 05:07:00 PM »
All one needs to do is see the issues our French friends are having in France to see the "benefits" of a Union.  

Life revolves around the employee, not the bigger picture.  Which is too bad.

Offline ASTAC

• Silver Member
Why unions still suck
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2006, 05:14:05 PM »
So now we have to make sure to design in enough work for all the trades when we plan on building new structures? Yup Unions are a great idea about 100 years ago..no purpose for them nowdays.
That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety

Offline SirLoin

• Platinum Member
Why unions still suck
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2006, 05:41:07 PM »
See Rule #5, #4
« Last Edit: March 30, 2006, 07:28:28 PM by Skuzzy »
**JOKER'S JOKERS**

Offline cpxxx

• Gold Member
Why unions still suck
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2006, 05:43:00 PM »
It's easy to think unions are useless and outdated and serve no purpose in the modern world. Not surprising when you see some of the dumb things they occasionally do.

But sometimes you see the value of a union. Right now I could do with one. You see I was suspended from my job this week for making a mistake. One mistake.  Not the last of a long list of mistakes but the first. To say I'm shocked is an understatement. This from a company (American) who says it wants:
· To rely on one another, to treat each other well and to put the development and motivation of our people at the top of our priority lists

On Monday I meet my supervisor to discuss the issue. I've never had a problem like this in my entire working life. I suspect the hand of a certain individual who has made clear their dislike of me from the beginning and who was just waiting for a mistake.  

I'll tell you something, if it was a unionised company this would not be happening. The reason unions were were formed in the first place was because of situations like this. So next time you slag off the unions think of how you would handle a situation like this without any support. I have to now. Unions have their uses.

Offline GtoRA2

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Why unions still suck
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2006, 05:57:00 PM »
Originally posted by cpxxx
It's easy to think unions are useless and outdated and serve no purpose in the modern world. Not surprising when you see some of the dumb things they occasionally do.

But sometimes you see the value of a union. Right now I could do with one. You see I was suspended from my job this week for making a mistake. One mistake.  Not the last of a long list of mistakes but the first. To say I'm shocked is an understatement. This from a company (American) who says it wants:

On Monday I meet my supervisor to discuss the issue. I've never had a problem like this in my entire working life. I suspect the hand of a certain individual who has made clear their dislike of me from the beginning and who was just waiting for a mistake.  

I'll tell you something, if it was a unionised company this would not be happening. The reason unions were were formed in the first place was because of situations like this. So next time you slag off the unions think of how you would handle a situation like this without any support. I have to now. Unions have their uses.

Thats great to say, but what did you do?

Without that info we have no idea if they are justified or not.

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
Why unions still suck
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2006, 05:59:16 PM »
He shot his boss.
Holden McGroin LLC makes every effort to provide accurate and complete information. Since humor, irony, and keen insight may be foreign to some readers, no warranty, expressed or implied is offered. Re-writing this disclaimer cost me big bucks at the lawyer’s office!

Offline cpxxx

• Gold Member
Why unions still suck
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2006, 06:26:11 PM »
Ok, without going into details simply put: I accidently marked the first part from a lot with the coding for the previous lot.  It was discovered at the inspection end of the line quite properly as that is their job. But in fact I would have realised it had happened once I reached the end of the current lot anyway once the figures didn't add up. But it was found and pointed out to me before I finished. I held my hands up, made no excuses and tried to figure out how it happened. This is medical equipment related so errors are taken seriously particularly when the FDA are on the prowl. However similar or more serious errors have happened before (not to me) without anyone being disciplined or suspended.

I believe a certain individual who has a quality function told my supervisor they wanted me pulled off the line or else! Leaving him no choice.  Quality in there act more like fascist police than in any place I worked before. You actually have to be careful what you say around them. Even the supervisor is scared of them.  Little people with power. It's always the same. I never clashed with any of them but I was singled out in a most subtle manner. Initially I thought they treated everyone like that until colleagues pointed out that they seemed to have it in for me and to watch my back. Well now they got their chance.

Why? I don't know.

Offline Choocha

• Copper Member
Why unions still suck
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2006, 07:11:44 PM »
SirLoin ,

Where do you work at (aka. sleep and smoke weed), Oshawa Car or Truck?

I will say that the CAW is better than thier UAW "bro's," but that's like saying cow sht. smells better than horse sht.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Re: Why unions still suck
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2006, 07:24:09 PM »
Originally posted by Mickey1992
This sort of crap makes me sick.  And some wonder why the common man hates unions.

I wrote this a few years ago on this BBS regarding Unions:

They care only for themselve$ these days and have political agendas.

OTOH, I've been in a situation where a supervisor would have had 11 of us fired if there had not been a union to step in and chill this dude. He was out of line (and an ex-Drill sergeant at that)

Ya gotta sleep with the devil if you want alittle piece of heaven.

Oh, and I was IAW Union for 10, SPEEA (Engineers Union) for 4 years, and now I've been salary for 4 years. I've increased my pay by 1/3 since going salary (you get pay raises for performance)...where the union you're limited to contract. Best thing I ever did financially was go salary.

Update. Its now been 7 years that I've been salary, and my pay has double since leaving the union. Unions restrict the amount of money you have the potential to make.

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
Why unions still suck
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2006, 07:33:46 PM »
Guy I know in the Plumbers.. broke a hip. (off the job) Outta work almost 2 years. Back on the job now with a new hip, didn't lose his job, senority or pay.

Without that union he'd have lost his house, destroyed his credit and be looking at a lifetimes worth of medical bills.

Yah. Unions suck.

Like gravity sucks.

Turn corporate intrests loose without a Union muzzel.. be a nasty situation (like cpxxx's) for a lot of us. I wonder how many of our Fathers and Grandfathers would have fared without union protection?

Cpxxx.. hope your situtaion turns around. Sorry news, sorry to hear it. Hang in there buddy... hope you find a better job soon.
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
Why unions still suck
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2006, 08:35:06 PM »
Hang, there's too much **** going on to judge a situation like that in those 4 or 5 lines.

Like for instance, did he break his hip while on the job?  

I believe in worker's comp, but it definately shouldn't be full pay.  In my company, anyone who gets really hurt will be transferred to some less strenuous job, but they will still earn their keep.  That is unless the accident and injury happened because of full incompetance of the owner / boss.

If your plumber friend broke his hip outside of the job, I'd tell him he'd have his same job and status waiting for when he got back, but I wouldn't pay him a cent.   Of course I'd offer a lesser job.
Punishr - N.D.M. Back in the air.
8.) Lasersailor 73 "Will lead the impending revolution from his keyboard"