Author Topic: Why unions still suck  (Read 3067 times)

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
Why unions still suck
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2006, 08:38:57 PM »
See Rule #4, #5
« Last Edit: March 31, 2006, 10:59:50 AM by Skuzzy »

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
Why unions still suck
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2006, 08:58:50 PM »
Ah the rant reminded me of Airhead.  All hail the Unions....pffft.

And this guy didnt have medical insurance?

Senority is for the birds.  I've seen more issues at my one union post where senority affected production.  So much for the best person for the job, its whose entitled to milk the clock best, etc etc.

But please, let's hear all these Union tales of how nothing they do is wrong.  Dazzle us, Hang.  Really.

Originally posted by Hangtime
Guy I know in the Plumbers.. broke a hip. (off the job) Outta work almost 2 years. Back on the job now with a new hip, didn't lose his job, senority or pay.

Without that union he'd have lost his house, destroyed his credit and be looking at a lifetimes worth of medical bills.

Yah. Unions suck.

Like gravity sucks.

Turn corporate intrests loose without a Union muzzel.. be a nasty situation (like cpxxx's) for a lot of us. I wonder how many of our Fathers and Grandfathers would have fared without union protection?

Cpxxx.. hope your situtaion turns around. Sorry news, sorry to hear it. Hang in there buddy... hope you find a better job soon.

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
Why unions still suck
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2006, 10:06:11 PM »
LOL.. c'mon Lepaul, what personal screwing has the union handed you, lately? I'm showing just one example where a good guy doing honest labor in an american trade union got a fair shake.

Insurance? THATS what the union contracts are for.. insurance. benefits. protection from being screwed outta yer job by a power hungry lil front office weazel who never got his hands dirty on a real job. Not everybody that works for a living want's to move to the office and become a stuffed shirt like Rip, and not every union member is an illiterate twit that can't tie his own shoes without a freakin apprentice.

The guy had 27 years in; what... yer bent because he was covered?
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
Why unions still suck
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2006, 10:25:09 PM »
Suspended for a single mistake?  What kind of crazy place does he work at, B0ston Scientific?
"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Offline SirLoin

• Platinum Member
Why unions still suck
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2006, 10:54:51 PM »
See Rule #4 (one more like that and you will lose your posting privs)
« Last Edit: March 31, 2006, 11:00:50 AM by Skuzzy »
**JOKER'S JOKERS**

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Why unions still suck
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2006, 02:37:43 AM »
Down with the Unions !

VIVA EL CORPORATE !

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
Why unions still suck
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2006, 05:19:06 AM »
Unions are a good thing when they work.. like everything else.

Without unions we would not have evolved to were we are, but some of them have grown too large and have spanned over too many fields.

Offline WhiteHawk

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Why unions still suck
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2006, 05:39:56 AM »
China is a good example of how harmful unions are to business.  There are no unions in china, therefore, few labor laws.  there fore, the kind and generous heart of big business grants its workers unlimited overtime at  33 cents per hour, straight time for all, average work week 75 hours.  No age limits, imagine your children pulling these kinds of hours making tennis shoes.  I can see why people think unions are bad, but big business will strangle the life out of each and every working family for the almighty dollar if there is nobody there to fight them.

Offline SirLoin

• Platinum Member
Why unions still suck
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2006, 05:59:15 AM »
Originally posted by WhiteHawk
China is a good example of how harmful unions are to business.  There are no unions in china, therefore, few labor laws.  there fore, the kind and generous heart of big business grants its workers unlimited overtime at  33 cents per hour, straight time for all, average work week 75 hours.  No age limits, imagine your children pulling these kinds of hours making tennis shoes.  I can see why people think unions are bad, but big business will strangle the life out of each and every working family for the almighty dollar if there is nobody there to fight them.

Exactly...Unions in the private sector definitely have their purpose(and they are changing with the times)

Public service unions paid by your tax dollars are a different matter.
**JOKER'S JOKERS**

Offline WhiteHawk

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Why unions still suck
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2006, 06:12:11 AM »
Originally posted by cpxxx
Ok, without going into details simply put: I accidently marked the first part from a lot with the coding for the previous lot.  It was discovered at the inspection end of the line quite properly as that is their job. But in fact I would have realised it had happened once I reached the end of the current lot anyway once the figures didn't add up. But it was found and pointed out to me before I finished. I held my hands up, made no excuses and tried to figure out how it happened. This is medical equipment related so errors are taken seriously particularly when the FDA are on the prowl. However similar or more serious errors have happened before (not to me) without anyone being disciplined or suspended.

I believe a certain individual who has a quality function told my supervisor they wanted me pulled off the line or else! Leaving him no choice.  Quality in there act more like fascist police than in any place I worked before. You actually have to be careful what you say around them. Even the supervisor is scared of them.  Little people with power. It's always the same. I never clashed with any of them but I was singled out in a most subtle manner. Initially I thought they treated everyone like that until colleagues pointed out that they seemed to have it in for me and to watch my back. Well now they got their chance.

Why? I don't know.

Make sure every move that is made against you is documented in writing.  DO    NOT EVER IMPLY you are going to sue them or take any actions, you simply need the progressive discipline that is being taken against you documented for your records.  If the documented violations are inacurate, file a complaint withe the HR department.  (dont be naive, HR is pure company gestapo.  They are just there to protect the company from lawsuits).  Just say that your write-up, or whatever they call it there is, in your humble opinion, inacurate.  Always act timid and humble.  Once you get an accurate written description of your offense, check and see if this is a common error and others make these mistakes often, or even occasionally.  You want to find someone before or after who has made a similar mistake and has no action taken against them.  If your company is stonewalling you with the written stuff, file a complaint with HR, MAKE SURE YOU KEEP SIGNED COPIES OF YOUR COMPLAINTS.  Say something like, "comapny is taking disciplinary action against Mr cpxxx, and is not providing mr cpxxx with any written documentaion."  You, of course are completely confused with what is going on.  You simlpy made 1 mistake, as all humans do.  Once you get your written documentation, its time once again to go to HR with a complaint.  A union shop would call this a grievance.  NEVER ACCUSE ANY supervisor of haivng it in for you.  Your whole mission here is to quietly step towards legal action, which is what HR is there to prevent.   You want to HUMBLY accuse the company of wrongfully disciplining you for whatever it is they said you done,  as others have done this or very similar to this and nothing has happened to them.  It doesnt matter if you havent found anybody else who has made this mistake, you are sure there has been .  If not the same mistake, then one similar or even more severe,  If HR is stonewalling or stalling and as a LAST RESORT!!  You can go to the labor baord and file a complaint there.  Important things to remeber.  Its scary, but you have to keep your cool.  Losing your job is better than living a life in fear of abusive supervisors.  BE HUMBLE AND CONFUSED.  "why is this happening to me"  Shed some tears.  Keep in mind, HR will never show fear, if you challenge them outright, they will stay stone faced to the bitter end, it is best to quietly take steps towards legal action.  Getting a lawsuit to the jury will mean the HR manager is crrapping his drawers.  Winning one will mean the HR managers job.  Good luck.   BTW if you hjave to go to the labor board, at that point is is best to retain a cheap labor attourney to help you with the wording.

Offline Choocha

• Copper Member
Why unions still suck
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2006, 08:43:49 AM »
Sorry, but your only protection  against big business is yourself.  What I mean is your skill and education.  I have a certain skill set that I have achieved through education and experience.  It commands a certain $$ on the open market.  The only people that need Unions are the people that shovel sht for a living.

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
Why unions still suck
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2006, 08:50:02 AM »
Originally posted by Choocha
The only people that need Unions are the people that shovel sht for a living.

Prove that please.

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
Why unions still suck
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2006, 09:02:32 AM »
Originally posted by Nilsen
Prove that please.

Let's go the other direction. http://www.ibew.org/
sand

Offline Shamus

• Gold Member
Why unions still suck
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2006, 09:04:11 AM »
I know a couple of general contractors in Florida that used to be from New York and Michigan.

These guys both hate unions with a passion, but they both love it when they can hire a guy who was a former union carpenter from up north.

I ask why if unions are so bad? "well because they get good training up there, a Florida carpenter with 15 years experience may have been doing nothing but laying roof deck all that time, knows nothing else".

So I guess its where your bread is buttered.

shamus
one of the cats

FSO Jagdgeschwader 11

Offline Choocha

• Copper Member
Why unions still suck
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2006, 09:14:54 AM »
When I was in Detroit I went outa my why to make sure that anybody working on my house was not affil. with any Union.  I hired a truckload of Mexican illegals to roof my house once.  They worked hard, didn't complain and finished the job for 1/2 price.