Author Topic: Any north american skiers out there that can help me with some info...  (Read 111 times)

Offline TexMurphy

• Silver Member
Hey guys.

Ive started to plan my 2007 ski trip. Its gonna be a bigger one so I need to plan early inorder to save enough money. I just neeeeed to get me some of that north american powder again.. was way too long since last fix.. ;)

Ive previously skied in the SLC area and I totally love Alta, Snowbird and Brighton. Especially Alta rocks and fits my skiing preferences very well.

What Im looking for is easily accessible powder. I like to stay out of the groomed but not hardcore backcountry skiier. Its not due to lack of skiing ability but rather lack of physical shape making the hiking a real pita.

So basicly what Im looking for is a ski area that has easy access through short traversing to open powder fields. Doesnt need to be open only as skiing in the woods can be fun as well. Especially if it leads up to great powder runs.

Ive also skied in Whistler which is a great resort and I love Vancover, would love to move there one day but this trip is not gonna be to Whistler. Simply because Whislter is a bit too far west which makes it a bit more humid and hence the powder chances are lower then inland resorts. This trip is for powder.

What Im thinking of for next year is the following two alternatives. Id like input on them and possible new alternatives. One of the constraints unfortunatly is money. Basicly I need most powder per buck alternatives.

1. SLC + Jackson Hole

7 ski days based out of SLC. Alta, Snowbird and Brighton depending on how the day to day conditions are.

Then on day 8 driving up to Jackson Hole and another 6 ski days there.

Questions to this alternative?

-According to map quest the drive is 5 hours from SLC to Jackson Hole. How bad is this road and how bad does it get winter time? How many hours does this drive take winter time?

-How well does Jackson Hole fit the description of what Im looking for in a skiing resort? Does it have easy access to good powder runs or does it require hiking?

2. Fernie, Canada

While alternative 1 is based around diversity in resorts this alternative is based more on "getting to know one resort".

This plan is 15 days of skiing in Fernie. Plain and simple fly to Calgary, shuttle to Fernie and stay there.

This alternatitve is slightly more expencive then the first one and is at the edge of what is affordable.

Questions about this alternative.
-How well does Fernie fit the description of what Im looking for in a skiing resort? Does it have easy access to good powder runs or does it require hiking?
-Are there any other nearby resorts with good skiing that are say 3-4 hours busride away from Fernie?

Would appriciate input on these alternatives by people who have skiied them or new alternatives that would fit my profile.

Thanks in advance.
Tex

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
Any north american skiers out there that can help me with some info...
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2006, 06:16:18 AM »
You may want to look into Mount Bachelor, Bend Oregon.  You have to catch it on the right weather pattern for good powder, but I think that may be the same most places.  

About 50 miles south of Bachelor, on the west side of Diamond Lake, is Mount Bailey.  A snow cat operation takes you up that mountain for all the ungroomed stuff you want.  The snow cat or walking is the only way to get up.   No lifts on the mountain.
Holden McGroin LLC makes every effort to provide accurate and complete information. Since humor, irony, and keen insight may be foreign to some readers, no warranty, expressed or implied is offered. Re-writing this disclaimer cost me big bucks at the lawyer’s office!

Offline skernsk

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2006, 08:55:53 AM »
Do you have Avalanche training?  Most places that I know of require AV training before they allow you into those areas.  Then you wear the transponders and have a blast.

My sister has skiied several of the back country heli-ski spots in BC.  I'll ask about Fernie too.

Offline TexMurphy

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2006, 09:15:03 AM »
I do have some AV training. Skied with a french organisation called UCPA last year. Their concept is youth hostel like accomondation, skipass, equipment, instructor, food and everything included. They have alot of different type of courses.

I do know how to work with a transponder and basics about avalanches. But I dont feel Ive had enough training and hence the reason I dont wana do hardcore backcountry skiing.

The way it works in Utah is great. Everything outside the groomed trails is closed off with ropes. There are gates in the ropes and when its safe they open it up. This gives easy access to great powder runs without long hikes into Avalanche country.

Id really appriciate to see what your sis has to recommend.

Tex