Author Topic: Broadband..  (Read 335 times)

Offline WldThing

• Gold Member
Broadband..
« on: April 10, 2006, 02:37:04 PM »
Since some of the smartest reside here, I thought I would bring up a question of Verizon DSL.. Now they are offering the one year contract membership for $14.95 a month.  Since this is a contract I wouldn't like to jump the ship just yet, without of course your approval.  

So maybe some have had the opportunity to try their DSL, and what you had thought of the service, speed, reliability, etc..

On the side note it states speeds are up to 768 Kbps
/128 Kbps, free for the first month, and $14.95 thereafter.  

Thanks fellas.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
Broadband..
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2006, 03:29:09 PM »
I have only had cable for high speed but. .
if it cost no more than dial up, what do you have to lose? has to be better than dial-up...
I would think you have 30 days or something to change your mind if it does turn out to be crap, or at least I'd make sure before I signed up for a year..
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline WldThing

• Gold Member
Broadband..
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2006, 04:08:33 PM »
Yeah there's a 30 day trial on it, I guess I should give it a shot...

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Broadband..
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2006, 05:55:56 PM »
My brother in law has Verizon DSL and has no trouble with it. He does fly and says his connection is pretty solid, he's in New England btw.

Offline 38ruk

• Gold Member
      • @pump_upp - best crypto pumps on telegram !
Broadband..
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2006, 10:16:46 PM »
Hey wldthing, my sister has Verizon DSL  in Olean , and ive ran pings to HTC and it looked very good . I know its not Erie , but it fairly close hehe   38

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
Broadband..
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2006, 11:34:02 PM »
I'm using Verizon right now. I love the stuff, but I have to warn you not to use the little setup program if you can avoid it. Hell, they even tell you they're going to monitor your connection if you do! But, I guess if you have nothing to hide, it can't be much of a system decrease. ;)

Being the kind of person I am, it's kinda disheartening to see your download speed go from 1128 KB/s (:O) back down to the speed it should be, but that's just me. :D

EDIT: Also, read the fine print with that "up to" statement; I have to pay more for that speed.
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.

Offline Tigger29

• Gold Member
Broadband..
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2006, 12:23:00 AM »
Charter broadband

5meg down/1meg up

$FREE

(wife works there)

:aok

I had SBC DSL a long time ago.. 1.5m down/128k up

At first it was very lossy.. kept losing packets.. dropping signal, etc...
new network card fixed it.. it was great after that (now the billing was another issue alltogether)

But if you're too far from the box, you'll have problems.

good luck

Offline AKDogg

• Gold Member
      • http://aksquad.net/
Broadband..
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2006, 08:06:54 AM »
I have the 3meg download and 768k up load Verizon DSL.  My pings are 60 consistantly.  Very fast for DSL to for downloading.  I download the game in 3 mins.
AKDogg
Arabian knights
#Dogg in AW
http://aksquad.net/

Offline Softail

• Copper Member
Broadband..
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2006, 09:50:10 AM »
Originally posted by 38ruk
Hey wldthing, my sister has Verizon DSL  in Olean , and ive ran pings to HTC and it looked very good . I know its not Erie , but it fairly close hehe   38

38Ruk....OLEAN???  Nevada Foxtrot Whiskey!   My wife is from Allegany!  How far south of Bu-Flow are you?  I grew up about 72 miles south in Kennedy and went to FCS.

damn small world eh?

See ya.

Softail

Offline 38ruk

• Gold Member
      • @pump_upp - best crypto pumps on telegram !
Broadband..
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2006, 11:21:51 AM »
I actually live in Cattaraugus NY ,but lived in alleghany for a couple of years 83-85 .  I'm about 50miles south of buffalo , but growing up i had a girl friend in randolph , so im fimilar with some of kennedys back roads hehe . We actually played falconer in baseball  (cattaraugus cental school ) CCS   38