Author Topic: F4u-u1/1d/1c/u4  (Read 3789 times)

Offline Creton

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
F4u-u1/1d/1c/u4
« on: April 26, 2006, 06:05:46 PM »
I'm writing this to give my perspective on the f4u's
Well as most know ,I have flown 109's as my primary
since I joined AH1 in 2002.I started my squad a couple of tours ago
and one of my squadies challenged me to fly f4u's all one tour and try to get away from the 109's alittle.My finding are as follows and while their are some who know lots more about these planes than myself,I am merely giving my account of this tour.

To start with I would like to list people who I found to be among the very best of the f4u drivers.These are in order as to how I feel about their abilties and our encounters.
.Urchin
.Widewing
.Blukitty
.GOOSS
.SABER
.BALSY
.BATFINK
.MUZIK
.FALCNWING
.SMASHR/SKYROCK
.JIMBEAM

I know that most wont agree with my assessment of these engagements,but so be it.

I really like the way the dhog performed over all,flaps are amazing as is the ability to drop gear for the over shoots.The dhog has great slow speed controll and has a very gentile snap roll snap stall as far as I'm concerned.
I started tapping the flaps immediately after the merge and in most case was ussually throttle off and 1/2 -full flaps by the time I hit the top of the loop.
I ussually merged around 300-325mph and was very aggressive on initial merge,ussually beginning my merge d300-d400 in fron and off to an angle of the boggie.This worked well for me and semed to fit my style of fighting best.
I noticed that most boggies dont expect the dhog to turn arond and generally are caught off-guard by the maneuver.

I found that the u1 is the best turner of the group but seems slightly underpowered when it gets really slow.I also discovered that fu-u4 can do most anything in the vertical which is the way I prefer to fight after haveing flown 109's for so long.Chog is good plane but just seems to heavy to me,but the guns are deadly.

Me and URCHIN had some great comparisons between the spit16 and dhog,WIDEWING was kind enough to film these and demonstrate the strengths and weaknesses of each plane.

All in all I like the dhog and this has been a great tour flying it.I will be trying another plane all this next tour and will post my thoughts after then as well.I hope that this is helpful to any newer players to the game.

Nothing beats gull wings and blue paint.

Offline SuperDud

• Platinum Member
F4u-u1/1d/1c/u4
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2006, 07:08:35 PM »
Thx for the write up Creton, good info.
SuperDud
++Blue Knights++

Offline Roscoroo

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.roscoroo.com/
F4u-u1/1d/1c/u4
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2006, 10:30:35 PM »
there a reason 2 of the corsairs are perked ... back in the old days thats all we flew was chogs .. (talk about a killing machine)
Roscoroo ,
"Of course at Uncle Teds restaurant , you have the option to shoot them yourself"  Ted Nugent
(=Ghosts=Scenariroo's  Patch donation

Offline Goth

• Nickel Member
F4u-u1/1d/1c/u4
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2006, 10:32:30 PM »
The big blue bird is a fantastic plane....my only grief is fuel burn, otherwise I would fly it a heck of a lot more.

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
F4u-u1/1d/1c/u4
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2006, 01:36:38 AM »
I still want my F4U-1A per FD's performance charts. :(
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Glasses

• Silver Member
F4u-u1/1d/1c/u4
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2006, 02:39:13 AM »
Yeah it's really realistic compared to its real life counterpart it was well known it used to turn Zekes and had outstanding aceleration, being one and a half times the weight of the zeke and requiring  a 2khp engine to obtain an acceptable performance due to its weight.

:rofl

That's why it was called the ensign eliminator either the pilots sucked or the aircraft is too forgiving in AH.

Offline B@tfinkV

• Platinum Member
F4u-u1/1d/1c/u4
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2006, 02:39:33 AM »
creton knows how to reallt get the most out of any aircraft ive seen him in, we dueled 10 times in the F4UD with many different fuel settings and i notched up a score or 1 victory to 9 defeats in about 20 mins. Eseentially i would say we fly close in ACMs but my methods seem to burn a fraction more E to acomplish whilst my opponent was sailing just 20 ft above me on many of the ropes and high turns. while this may have been a result of the early merges being led by one and the other reacting, I'm more inclined to beleive that cret's handling of the hogs is just so perfectly refined as to pull any fight further his way the longer it goes on. (then of course he lets me win one to keep me interested :p)
 400 yrds on my tail, right where i want you... [/size]

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
F4u-u1/1d/1c/u4
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2006, 02:49:47 AM »
I ALMOST had DanoDano once. Had his tail blown off and everything. Then as he's falling down backwards he cheap-shotted me from the lasers on his dammed C-Hog as I'm pulling away to avoid the collision with his wreckage. :p
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline BluKitty

• Nickel Member
      • http://
F4u-u1/1d/1c/u4
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2006, 03:34:03 AM »
Ya ... it is a beautiful aircraft....

I'm such a bandwidth thief :D Got to love google images.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2006, 03:37:09 AM by BluKitty »

Offline mars01

• Platinum Member
F4u-u1/1d/1c/u4
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2006, 07:25:09 AM »
I started tapping the flaps immediately after the merge and in most case was ussually throttle off and 1/2 -full flaps by the time I hit the top of the loop.

Was this all in the DA?  I can't see this working much in the MA.  You'd be scrubbing off too much E to do more than fight one guy at a time, like that happens in the MA LOL.

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
F4u-u1/1d/1c/u4
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2006, 07:43:58 AM »
Actually in the MA the average F4u-1d pilot can own the average spit 16 pilot.

Now we all know I'm not in vic's class, not by a long shot. But I've been flying the F4u-1d off & on since the night he was in & worked with widewing & urchin in it.

I've yet to die to a 1 on 1 vs a spit 16.

Yes you do need to pay attention to your SA.  But if you can sucker a spit 16 into a turn fight, he's yours.  The slower the fight gets the more it favors the Hawg. Thats why vic is dumping E so early. You can easily setup a nice turn in the hawg, get flaps out. Then kick in 1/3 to 2/3 rudder and rotate that sucker right up into a fireing solution. I think its the big rudder cranking the turn around that makes Widewing call it a helicopter.

Its amazing.

Ohhh and FYI, watch out for the 109F

Offline Creton

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
F4u-u1/1d/1c/u4
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2006, 07:56:38 AM »
Originally posted by mars01
Was this all in the DA?  I can't see this working much in the MA.  You'd be scrubbing off too much E to do more than fight one guy at a time, like that happens in the MA LOL.

I even performed this in the main arena,sometimes to my own death as I was picked by another boggie,but most times even when out numbered 3-4 to 1 .
The boggies would overshoot and I could ussually manage to achieve 1-2 victories if not shoot down all 3-4 in one set up.I do realise that not all pilots are the same calibre, so some of them were noobes some a little more advanced.

I still managed my 2.9-1 k/d although not my ussual total kills for the tour.
I will normally average around 1000+ kills,however I've not been able to fly quiet as much this tourbecause of my sons illness and work.

As to the realism of this plane,I have no idea what it did in real life,but if I may quote and excerp out of one of my books regarding the f4u.

This is out of the book:"FIGHTING AIRCRAFT OF WWII" by Salamander publishing
page 146"Designed by Rex Beisel and Igor Sikorsky,the inverted gull wing Corsair was one of the greatest combat aircraft in history.Planned to use the most powerful engine biggest propeller ever fitted to a fighter,the prototype was the first US warplane to exceed 400mph and out performed all other American aircraft.Action with land-based Marine squadrons began in the Solomans in Feburary 1943; from then on the Corsair swiftly gained air suprmrcy over the previously untroubled Japanese"

The intent of my original post was not to show the Corsair to be the dominent
main arena ride ,but merely my take on what I've come to consider a very good aircraft.

Offline Simaril

• Platinum Member
F4u-u1/1d/1c/u4
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2006, 08:50:39 AM »
Originally posted by Glasses
Yeah it's really realistic compared to its real life counterpart it was well known it used to turn Zekes and had outstanding aceleration, being one and a half times the weight of the zeke and requiring  a 2khp engine to obtain an acceptable performance due to its weight.....

Originally posted by Kweassa
List of planes in order of smallest Turn Radius with full of flaps engaged

Type:            Radius   
--------------------------------------
A6M2:            104.6m

...snip...

F4U-1D:            148.7m

Originally stated by Sir Winston Churchill (1874 - 1965)
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

« Last Edit: April 27, 2006, 10:19:36 AM by Simaril »
Maturity is knowing that I've been an idiot in the past.
Wisdom is realizing I will be an idiot in the future.
Common sense is trying to not be an idiot right now

"Social Fads are for sheeple." - Meatwad

Offline Lazerr

• Platinum Member
F4u-u1/1d/1c/u4
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2006, 10:11:13 AM »
f4u slows down so damn good, you really got watch for an experienced stick.

Offline jaxxo

• Silver Member
F4u-u1/1d/1c/u4
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2006, 11:17:16 AM »
one of the gamiest most questionable flight models in the ma..definitely arcadish with the helicopter moves and gear down stuff...please someone show me one story of a hog turning with a zeke...please