Author Topic: P-51D Mustang  (Read 2293 times)

Offline Schism

• Zinc Member
P-51D Mustang
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2006, 12:35:57 PM »
Man, I read all the post and it is still all Greek to me.  I have been playing for over a year and I still bite at dog fighting.  I guess I need to get a student loan and go to one of the local flight schools so I can understand what you guys are talking about and learn the basics of flying, LOL.  GV’s, guns, bombers, and dive bombing I rock at, but my dog fighting skills are scary.  Anyway, all those that are still learning appreciate you guys taking the time to give out the info.

Offline DamnedRen

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
P-51D Mustang
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2006, 01:28:50 PM »
Schism,

There are a lot of us trainers in the Training Arena (TA). All ya gotta do is ask us and we'd be happy to take you from "wheels in the well" up to the scary dogfighting stuff. Get up and fly with us and we can evaluate where you are currently and help you move along.

Reading is a great help but nothing beats being able to see and experience what you see on the discussion boards.

Hope this helps.

Offline red26

• Silver Member
      • http://www.red25s.zoomshare.com
Hey ren?
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2006, 03:39:29 PM »
Will you be in the TA this tuesday or about the two days there after??
I would love to join your plane or you join mine and show me some dog fighting skills I kinda got the hit and run down but staing on a pilots tail I cant do for some reason can you help me this week???
US ARMY LEAD THE WAY

Offline DamnedRen

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Re: Hey ren?
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2006, 04:32:17 PM »
Originally posted by red26
Will you be in the TA this tuesday or about the two days there after??
I would love to join your plane or you join mine and show me some dog fighting skills I kinda got the hit and run down but staing on a pilots tail I cant do for some reason can you help me this week???

I'm a little under the weather since yesterday and cant seem to sit for more than 1/2 hour. I can't tell if its a nasty cold or the flu coming on.

Hence, I won't be able to get up tomorrow but i should be feeling better and can meet you Thursday morning or thru the whole 4 day weekend  anytime.

If that works for you just let me know when you'd like to meet.

Offline Spatula

• Silver Member
P-51D Mustang
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2006, 05:15:37 PM »
Originally posted by TexMurphy

Another thing Ponies are really good at is "towing enemies out of the fight". Personally I hate crowded fights. I like it much better when I can work my enemy alone.

In the pony you can get someones attention and then slowly separate him. Important thing is to not make the enemy think your fleeing. Because if he thinks your fleeing he wount follow.

If your starting out with a BnZ attack you can make sure to "push" him out of the fight area by always making your attacks so that you are between him and the big fight. This will force him to extend away from the fight.

If your starting out co-alt then you can always drag him out and as soon as he starts loosing interest you attack. Then drag him out a bit further. Rince and repeat till you are away from the fight.

Now you can go into a full feathered E fight with him without caring about the other enemies.

Damnit, Tex, thats a favourite trick of mine, now you spilling all the mad seekritz... shoosh you!
Airborne Kitchen Utensil Assault Group

Offline toon

• Nickel Member
P-51D Mustang
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2006, 08:59:27 AM »
getting alot better at maintaining E.been messin with 51-B.i'll be lookin for you ren.

Offline red26

• Silver Member
      • http://www.red25s.zoomshare.com
P-51D Mustang
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2006, 04:12:17 PM »
I will be in the TA most of the night after 8 or 9 central is there any one that can teach me how to dog fight with the 51D tonight??? just let me know and I will be there.
US ARMY LEAD THE WAY

Offline Wasara

• Zinc Member
P-51D Mustang
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2006, 09:41:08 AM »
I made first two scores with P-51D today.The other of two was Spit.Both where B&Z and headons while maintaining 400 mph and making immelman and getting above enemy.Not so proud,and not so healthy tactics...or was it?Must add I'm using taped mouse.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2006, 09:44:44 AM by Wasara »
Happy Trails!

Offline toon

• Nickel Member
P-51D Mustang
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2006, 01:06:02 PM »
wasara..2 kills with taped mouse thats absolutely awesome.

Offline Wasara

• Zinc Member
P-51D Mustang
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2006, 02:29:37 PM »
Thanks Coba!

I'm considering to buy joystick after all,but it will take some time,gotta spare some money.
Happy Trails!

Offline SAS_KID

• Silver Member
      • http://www.myspace.com/saskid
P-51D Mustang
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2006, 09:23:15 PM »
well are you sure you it was a head on? Or a high front quarter shot. If the person was able to shoot back at you or you hit him people will call it a HO. I myself hate getting PM'd hoer when they are pulling up to me and i come down neg G and blast as they pull in front of me. They can see me shoot at them when looking forward but can't get a shot as i destroy there engine or even kill the pilot. I myself belive this is a high quarter shot.
Quote from: hitech on Today at 09:27:26 AM
What utter and compete BS, quite frankly I should kick you off this bbs for this post.

The real truth is you do not like the answer.

HiTech

Offline Kermit de frog

• Gold Member
      • LGM Films
P-51D Mustang
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2006, 01:43:06 AM »
Why is unloading the preferred way of shooting?

If my target is moving, I like to keep "loading" on my wings.  Helps keep more bullets in 1 spot on my moving target.  If I want to put a wall of bullets in front of my target, then I may "unload" because thats what you have to do.
Time's fun when you're having flies.

Offline Wasara

• Zinc Member
P-51D Mustang
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2006, 11:58:53 AM »
Originally posted by SAS_KID
well are you sure you it was a head on? Or a high front quarter shot. If the person was able to shoot back at you or you hit him people will call it a HO. I myself hate getting PM'd hoer when they are pulling up to me and i come down neg G and blast as they pull in front of me. They can see me shoot at them when looking forward but can't get a shot as i destroy there engine or even kill the pilot. I myself belive this is a high quarter shot.

I have much speed and I saw them firing but they were so late that I have almost passed by them when they started to fire.I had to made three or four passes.It can be that my shots hit on the upper side of wings,canopy or motor-in other words those were high quarter shots.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2006, 12:06:27 PM by Wasara »
Happy Trails!

Offline x0847Marine

• Silver Member
Re: P-51D Mustang
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2006, 04:33:09 PM »
Originally posted by Wasara
I know that I'm talking about one of the icons of airwarfare WWII.Seems that my tactics with this beauty is totally wrong.Even with boom&zoom I can't get any scores.I know it has powerful R&R Merlin but all the same I have not progressed with it in H2H.

Any advices?

To better maintain E... when climbing out, look for the Accel guage.. lets say you want to maintain 300 MPH even as you climb out, push your stick forward to "0".. and you pretty much stay at 300 MPH as you climb and level out

Work great (if) your force feedback is working (mines isnt waiting on a fix), you can get a feel for where the 0 is and wont even need to look. Practice enough and you can look behind you the whole time while screaming up out of a dive.

Dont worry about chopping throttle as you dive, if you start to compress use the trim to smooth out of it. I personally like to appear as if I'm screaming in on thier 6 at mac 1, they figure I'll be easy to dodge at that speed, which is accurate... but while OMW down, at about 1k out, I chopped my gas and hit 1 flap and I'm slowing rapidly... but still maintaing my speed relative to what they are in (slow more for a Hurri, less for an LA7 / 109) once they commit to a move I can sometimes pull in beind tem using a combo chop trrottle / flap(s) to turn with em, or go full throttle + wep, no flap, pull up into a high yoyo, invert keeping an eye on em, and jump on em when they are at thier slowest.

Trial and error man is all it is really, the more you can traverse the sky knowing your Energey state while looking around, the easier it gets. IMO force feedback is a must, my K/D improved bigtime with it... but thats just me, others migt not think so.

Have patience young grasshopper, go for "the shot", not just "a shot", with 50's you had better dial in your convergence and sights... try using ".target xxx", xxx being the number of yards away the target will be, i.e .target 500.. I know exactly wich part of my sight to put where wen I need to shoot.

Also with bombers, no need to try and blow them up, you'll waste all your ammo, concentrate on 1 engine.. once it catches fire, it will burn him down.. while dudes is on fire, climb out and figure out which engine on which buff your gonna hit next.

BTW I suck, so feel free to ignore this... just my observations.

Offline Wasara

• Zinc Member
P-51D Mustang
« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2006, 08:13:32 AM »
Thanks a lot,Marine!

Again one excellent response!
Happy Trails!