Author Topic: XP vs Vista  (Read 3302 times)

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
XP vs Vista
« on: May 16, 2006, 11:33:18 AM »
http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTA0NSwxLCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==

surprise surprise, MS is going to make us (force us) to run this resource hog vista. Happened to be flipping through a PC Computing magazine in the library the other day with a few "features" of vista, the most notable being:

- transparent windows (you can see the desktop through them
[big freakin' whoop, how does that improve the OS in any way?]

- thumbnails while alt-tabbing and descriptions while same
[I have that NOW, you can install that power tool and others NOW]

- When you put your mouse over a minimized window on your task bar a mini thumbnail pops up
[WHO CARES?!?! How does that help the OS any???]

Basically the article listed a lot of CRAP that adds enormously to code bloat (and resource consumption) but does jack watermelon to help you, the OS user, find a stable and easy to run OS.

Then take into account the link I posted about DX10, and you come to the conclusion that MS is a bunch of retards. I bet they have a room of 10,000 monkeys and won't be "done" updating Windows software for another 10,000 years.

*sigh*

I don't want to have to run that bloated crap called vista. XP has enough. What happened to the days of MINIMUM FOOTPRINT software??? Hrm??

*rant over*

Offline 68DevilM

• Gold Member
XP vs Vista
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2006, 11:41:47 AM »
sounds like crap, looks like crap, smells like crap......hmm conclusion is?

Offline Grits

• Platinum Member
Re: XP vs Vista
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2006, 11:43:52 AM »
Originally posted by Krusty
surprise surprise, MS is going to make us (force us) to run this resource hog vista. Happened to be flipping through a PC Computing magazine in the library the other day with a few "features" of vista, the most notable being:

I didnt read the link. How are they going to make me use Vista if I dont buy it?

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
XP vs Vista
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2006, 11:45:42 AM »
Not sure if i read it somewhere but DX 10= VISTA only.

Bronk
See Rule #4

Offline Roscoroo

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.roscoroo.com/
XP vs Vista
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2006, 11:56:26 AM »
<-  Currently in the 2nd beta ...

ITS A Frelling monster ... oink oink oink ...

3500+ 939 w 2 gig of ram ... and it still causes GRUNTS .
Its got hun"dreds" of stupid buggy things that can and will drive ya bats .

It doesnt really do much more then XP and if ya want vista so bad,,,, I'd suggest ya just go get the XPvista theme for your version of xp and be happy that it doesnt sit there and think for 10 mins befor it does anything.

Its an OS built to Sell new pc's thats for shure ..
Roscoroo ,
"Of course at Uncle Teds restaurant , you have the option to shoot them yourself"  Ted Nugent
(=Ghosts=Scenariroo's  Patch donation

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
XP vs Vista
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2006, 11:58:38 AM »
Correct.  DirectX 10 will only be available on Vista.

Corporate users will be forced to upgrade as MS will drop support for XP, as soon as they can.  And where corporate goes, so does the OEM computer makers.  Where OEM computer makers go, so do most end users.

Edit:  Hehe Rosco.  And 2GB of RAM is considered a bare minimum for the OS and any application to run.  4GB will be needed for any power users or gamers.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2006, 12:02:20 PM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
XP vs Vista
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2006, 12:25:26 PM »
Originally posted by Skuzzy
And 2GB of RAM is considered a bare minimum for the OS and any application to run.  4GB will be needed for any power users or gamers.

[EXPLETIVE DELETED][EXPLETIVE DELETED][EXPLETIVE DELETED]

Offline Roscoroo

• Plutonium Member
XP vs Vista
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2006, 12:26:49 PM »
yea .. that extra ram will be sold as a seperate pc addon for your inconvience... lol

btw its really wacked getting sli cards to run smoothy still
Roscoroo ,
"Of course at Uncle Teds restaurant , you have the option to shoot them yourself"  Ted Nugent

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
XP vs Vista
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2006, 12:29:59 PM »
It's not just the ram... a LOT of computers CAN'T run more than 2GB ram. It's a motherboard limitation!!

I had to really search for a motherboard that had more than 2GB ram when I was buying mine. Mine allows 4 GB total, and I've only been able to afford 1.5GB to date.

The stupid thing is that MS is asking too much hardware to run the exact same crap we already have now. They're asking for too much power from a PC to run a simple OS. As a result a LOT of folks won't be able to run it, and a LOT of people will have to upgrade CPU/Mobo/RAM just to run it in the same manner they run XP now.

It's bloat for bloat's sake! And they're going to force us all to use it!

P.S. Yes, the link I postd said that DX10 was only going to be for Vista.

Offline Brenjen

• Silver Member
XP vs Vista
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2006, 12:35:58 PM »
Why do you think it keeps getting postponed? They know what it is & how it's going to screw the average guy up. That's why I keep advising people who are about to drop several hundred bucks on anything that can be outdated by the release of Vista to wait.

Number one, the high dollar DX-9 compliant cards out today are going to be dirt cheap when DX-10 comes out

Number two if they do get Vista right (it's just a what if people) you will need to upgrade a buttload of stuff to keep pace as the mainstream goes that direction.

So just hold your water & see what happens, they may dump Vista and just release a more solid version of XP-64bit with DX-10 if they can't get Vista right soon. I doubt they will seeing how much money they have sunk into a chunk of landfill fodder but you never know what microslave is likely to do, they can take a 300million dollar hit & keep on trucking like nothing ever happened.

I am waiting to see it's release like a kid at a car crash.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
XP vs Vista
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2006, 01:23:23 PM »
It'll be another year, at a minimum, before a DX10 game (worth having that is) is released.  The DX10 architecture is very different from DX9.  The current DX9 cards will not be able to run a DX10 game very well at all, assuming the game actually makes use of the DX10 feature set.

ATI will be first with a DX10 video card, and have already started making changes to thier architecture (the X1900 series is more DX10, than DX9).  NVidia will follow, but when is anybody's guess.  They have not been, uh, in good graces (yeah, that's the ticket) with MS for a while.

I would not be in any hurry to upgrade to Vista folks.  It is going to be painful.

Edit:  Krusty, the physical address limit on the x86 architecture is 4GB.  To get past that, the motherboard has to support PAE.  And the OS has to support is as well.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Kev367th

• Platinum Member
XP vs Vista
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2006, 01:31:33 PM »
Another bugbear will be the DRM (Digital Rights Media) in Vista.
Under certain circumstances it can prevent you from doing a dual boot system.

Thought 4Gb of memory will only show up at around 3.5Gbs due to space reseved for tables?
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
Asus M3N-HT mobo
2 x 2Gb Corsair 1066 DDR2 memory

Offline Roscoroo

• Plutonium Member
XP vs Vista
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2006, 02:17:32 PM »
I have a feeling they will make a dx10 ver for the ntfs/xp type os's eventually

as of now there gonna need to try to cram vista down everyones throat ...

I cant wait til we see GOOGLEFOX ... the ultamate OS ... muhahahahaa
(small dream ... dont ruin it )
Roscoroo ,

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
XP vs Vista
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2006, 02:20:32 PM »
Oh yes, DRM is going to be more intrusive than ever in Vista.  In many cases you will not be able to burn media, depending on the content you are trying to copy.
Backups of DVD's will be nearly impossible with Vista, especially with later generations of CPU's.  And before anyone causally thinks some hacker will get around it.  It is based on hardware protection in the CPU itself.  All current generation CPU's have this mechanism.

Edit:  Google's OS is about 6 years away (and that is a fairly conservative estimate)
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Brenjen

• Silver Member
XP vs Vista
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2006, 02:30:39 PM »
It'll be another year, at a minimum, before a DX10 game (worth having that is) is released.

According to something  I read the other day, it'll be at least that long before MS releases Vista, I think they said it was postponed until at least June? or July of 07. I also heard that Nvidia & ATI already have the hardware ready for DX-10 compliant release, they're just waiting on Vista.

Is there a game in the works ready for release on the DX-10 structure that you know of Skuzzy? ( I'm sure there are several, but you seemed to be alluding to something inparticular)