Author Topic: National Security Agency vs The Bill of Rights  (Read 1737 times)

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
National Security Agency vs The Bill of Rights
« Reply #105 on: May 23, 2006, 01:11:46 AM »
If you wait until the sky does fall, it will be too late.

The sky is actually our perception of the atmosphere which surrounds us and exists because the various constituant gasses are attracted toward the surface of the earth by the force of gravity.

Life on earth could not exist without a 'fallen' sky.
Holden McGroin LLC makes every effort to provide accurate and complete information. Since humor, irony, and keen insight may be foreign to some readers, no warranty, expressed or implied is offered. Re-writing this disclaimer cost me big bucks at the lawyer’s office!

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #106 on: May 23, 2006, 01:43:59 AM »
Rolex.. you have a gift. Thanks for wasting it on us.

Was an interesting era... I kinda doubt the politicians of the 50's and 60's would scarcely recognize the capitol crowd today... or if a Republican would even recognize a republican. Some things haven't changed...  "My esteemed colleague" still means 'this blithering idiot".

Joe McCarthy had a cause. The cause was this Republic and its perpetuity. That was what impelled him onward. What he did was voluntary; he did not have to do it. He did not have to accept "the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune," as Shakespeare has put it. He could have coasted; he could have been a conformist; he could have kept his eye always on his constituency and the next election. But he was not impelled to do that....

I have often wondered whether I would have done what Joe McCarthy did. I have some doubt about it. I think in moments I would have quailed. I am afraid that in moments when the load became so heavy and the fury so great, I might have faltered. He did not falter under any attack. He did not falter under any assault of character which was made upon him, day after day. He had the courage to withstand the attacks. He excelled in the human attributes of loyalty and devotion to his country, and had the courage to express and articulate his devotion in everyday life.

Senator Everett Dirksen
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline Mighty1

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #107 on: May 23, 2006, 07:04:54 AM »
Originally posted by Arlo
Neh. Not seeing the self promotion of blogsites as their being less biased than the MSM as a reasonable form of open mindedness. ;)

I'm not talking about just blogs I mean I read or watch from multiple sources and form my opinion from that. I don't just watch the MSM and say they are telling the truth Just as I don't just watch Fox and agree with everything they say.

You have to hear all sides of a story before you can form a rational opinion.

*********************edit***************
ok after reading what I posted and seeing some of the comments here (not talking about you Arlo)I thought I should edit it to reflect that not everyone who sees both sides can form rational opinions. Just wanted to clarify that.

:p
« Last Edit: May 23, 2006, 08:30:05 AM by Mighty1 »
I have been reborn a new man!

Notice I never said a better man.

Offline Hap

• Gold Member
« Reply #108 on: May 23, 2006, 08:04:25 AM »
Both Rolex and Hang brought forward some important matters, Rolex by way of anecdote, thanks, I too enjoyed reading it, and Hang directly with a quote by Dirkson, whom I also recall.

This "truth" stuff ain't for sissies.  And the awful truth is many (most?) will sell their birth right for a mess of pottage.  A movie, VERY MUCH to that point I saw last night.  Paul Scofield in "Man for all Seasons.  When the pack is going one way because either "that's the way we're going right now" or "that's the way the boss is going" standing on truth, St. Thomas More's postion, always comes with a price.  In his case, it cost him his head.

I greatly admire (amongst many qualities) those who do not deviate from the truth and remain charitable (see More's writings published by Vintage Spiritual Classics.  You'll be blown away).  And those who miss the mark and later turn from action that is or is felt to be highly reprehensible and dedicate oneself to the amendment of one's life.  

I too agree with Rolex or was it Hang who said "folks from 50 years ago would not recognize much our current political process & rebulican and democrats."  When I emailed by 2 senators and 1 congressman stating my objection to the NSA's action's, I asked, "does no one take civics anymore."  

Of course, the answer is either "no," or "not really" as these boards show.  Do some posters exhibit knowledge of America's system of checks and balances, of course.  The majority have not.  Whether they "can not" I do not really know.  I suspect such is the case.

That many could care less and relish more the occasion of discussion to mock is not merely a sign of the times.  For wit, is very much part of the spice of life.  When, however, (and this is probably an overstatement, at least I hope it is) better than a generation is largely ignorant of . . . the history of serious discussion (for lack of a better phrase) those methods appear "a joke."  So jokes abound.  

The good news is improvement is possible.  Also, this bbs is a sample, but I don't know what we're a sample of, unless it be dweebry.  I fear that "dweebery" has gone nationwide if not worldwide.  Progress should be easy from this juncture.  Right?

hap