Author Topic: Gay marriage - why?  (Read 3119 times)

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
      • http://sbm.boomzoom.org/
Gay marriage - why?
« on: June 06, 2006, 12:04:07 AM »
All of a sudden, out of nowhere, and apropos of nothing, same-sex marriage is once again on the agenda, and Bush starts giving speeches on teh ghey today, pressing for the Senate to amend the constitution to define marriage as the union between a man and a woman.

Mmkay.....

.... so, the Senate will pause and spend a week debating and then voting on a constitutional amendment to ban same sex marriages. That, despite the fact that most people think it won't even get a simple majority, never mind the super-majority required to amend the constitution. I guess that in times of such peace and prosperity, what else are they going to do to look like they're earning a paycheck? That must be it.

What's going on here?

And by that I obviously don't mean "What's going on in Iraq" or "What's going on in Iran" or "What's going on with immigration" or "What's going on with health insurance" or "What's going on with the deficits" or "What's going on with border control/security" or "What's going on with fuel prices" or just about a hundred thousand slightly more pressing issues....

I mean... Why the ghey alluhvasudden?

a) I don't know

b) Because it's an important issue, deserving of this kind of attention

c) It's not necessarily that important, but the recent overwhelming public outcry is demanding an immediate and swift resolution to this conflict

d) It's election year pandering

e) None of the above

My answer? Take a guess.

We're talking about a government who ran on, got elected due to, and governs based almost purely on symbolism: "Freedom", "evil-doers", "God", "the flag", "fear", "life", etc., etc........ etc.

And so what happens? What happens when the actual business of running a country proves to be just too much... hard work?

What happens when their feeble domestic policies, misguided and mismanaged wars, ideologically divisive social initiatives and ethically challenged managers produce nothing but failure after failure compounded by even more failure; whipped, diced and pureed.... creating a delicate and creamy dish of failure sauce?

That's easy. Just add two sprinklings of the ghey and whooboy, you've got a bona fide winner on your hands!

Ah, thank christ for meaninglessness and its ability to spark fire in the base.

By last count, we've got one or two Republicans around here, and I'm curious about them: Do they think Bush even gives a crap about gay marriage? I highly doubt that he does. No.... this one's for them. Aimed squarely at them.

Tell me, Republican voters, are you thanking your lucky stars tonight? Are you breathing a sigh of relief that, finally,  some real business is getting done in DC?

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
Gay marriage - why?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2006, 12:07:49 AM »
Of course you know. It's about working the Republican base into a frenzy. They have this special event coming up... I think it's called an election. ;)
sand

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
Gay marriage - why?
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2006, 12:09:46 AM »
To make a constitutional amendment over this is just stupid.
"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
Gay marriage - why?
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2006, 12:16:58 AM »
i guess it's to late to give 'em a raise and the summer off?
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
Gay marriage - why?
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2006, 12:39:37 AM »
Eh .... wasn't the last time some genius (or group of) decided the purpose of the U.S. constitution was to enforce a federal standard for moral behavior (prohibition) reversed because it was kinda stupid? Guess there's more drinking than homosexual affairs on the hill.

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
Gay marriage - why?
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2006, 12:54:52 AM »
Hang, that was one of the more clever things ever said on this board.
Punishr - N.D.M. Back in the air.
8.) Lasersailor 73 "Will lead the impending revolution from his keyboard"

Offline SFCHONDO

• Silver Member
Gay marriage - why?
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2006, 12:55:45 AM »
Gay marriage - why?

Cause there GAY
        HONDO
DENVER BRONCOS    

Retired from AH

Offline Debonair

• Gold Member
Gay marriage - why?
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2006, 01:00:28 AM »
senators do whatever they want beause they pwn joo!!!1!one.
if the read this thread, they'd have a laugh, but they are way too busy swimming in vats of treasure a la Scrooge McDuck except with hot naked interns.

Offline FUNKED1

• Platinum Member
      • http://soldatensender.blogspot.com/
Gay marriage - why?
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2006, 01:06:59 AM »
"all a means to attract and distract"

Offline nirvana

• Platinum Member
Gay marriage - why?
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2006, 01:08:00 AM »
Shouldn't gay's have to go through the same stuff as heterosexual couples in marriage?  I say if they want it, let em do it.  Screw your 20th century morals on homosexuality, FREE LOVE! This is the 21st century.
Who are you to wave your finger?

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
      • http://sbm.boomzoom.org/
Gay marriage - why?
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2006, 01:12:51 AM »
Originally posted by Sandman
Of course you know. It's about working the Republican base into a frenzy. They have this special event coming up... I think it's called an election. ;)

Of course (and this was a no-brainer, but as usual) you're right.

And.... I think that even the vast majority of the Bush loyal recognizes that.

So lets skip ahead a few pages. Here's what we're looking at....

A group of people quite used to compromise. Extreme compromise. Compromise to the extent that these highly religious people will abandon the poor, advocate war, and blame any catastrophe directly on the sins of those who perish.... as long as the President gives a wink and a nod to God.

They will compromise as long as the denial of birth control is at least given some manner of consideration - no matter how outrageous. As long as sex-ed is chock full of mandated misinformation. As long as Bush publicly considers that the earth is a mere 6,000 years old. As long as he gives his support to scientific "balance." As long as long as health professionals feel safe to deny a prescription based on theocratic principles.

......... and as long as Bush throws his ever diminishing weight behind a constitutional amendment to ban same sex marriage.

These nutbars are what it takes for them to win an election.

So here we are. Five months from an election, and the bones are getting tossed out fast and furious to the nutbars who grudgingly lap them up. Grudgingly, because nobody else are so stupid as to rely on these freaks to get elected. And grudgingly, because while everyone knows it, nobody is exactly that happy about it.

It's a symbiotic nightmare. At this point, it becomes hard to distinguish the hosts from the parasites.

Republicans can't win an election without them, and their crazed agenda wouldn't even get boosted to anything close to a national debate without their grudging help.

Offline DiabloTX

• Plutonium Member
Gay marriage - why?
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2006, 01:13:48 AM »
I personally don't see what the big deal is about gay marriage.

Sure marriage has it's benefits.

But it sure as hell brings a whole ****load of baggage with it too.
"There ain't no revolution, only evolution, but every time I'm in Denmark I eat a danish for peace." - Diablo

Offline Debonair

• Gold Member
Gay marriage - why?
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2006, 04:11:53 AM »
gays are teh ghey...

...except kurt tank.
and really hot lesbians.
johnny bench is borderline.

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
Gay marriage - why?
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2006, 07:14:49 AM »
Wag the dog....
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
Gay marriage - why?
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2006, 07:33:30 AM »
It's the Rove  "Fear, smear, and anti-queer!"  election recipe.

It's worked for him and Bush since thier beginning together because obviously there are more than enough shallow-thinking lemmings who will eagerly swallow the crap.