Author Topic: Gay marriage - why?  (Read 3120 times)

Offline Mr Big

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
Gay marriage - why?
« Reply #75 on: June 06, 2006, 08:06:46 PM »
All I'm saying is that it's a dog and pony show. Both sides get to have fun with it for their perceived benefits.

I say "the tools on both sides" because it's true. Both sides know the outcome already, yet they want to get on stage for the main event, which is the "show"

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
      • http://sbm.boomzoom.org/
Gay marriage - why?
« Reply #76 on: June 06, 2006, 08:10:18 PM »
"They" don't want to get on stage. The Republicans do.

"Both sides" don't want to "have fun with this". The Republicans do.

Can't you see the difference?

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
Gay marriage - why?
« Reply #77 on: June 06, 2006, 08:28:58 PM »
Originally posted by Nash

I actually agree with you.  One thing to keep in mind though is that in every state where this has been put on the balot, it has been approved, usually by an overwhelming majority.

Offline BluKitty

• Nickel Member
      • http://
Gay marriage - why?
« Reply #78 on: June 06, 2006, 08:33:30 PM »
It seems more and more that these "special groups" are no more than the fun police.

So your fun is being spoiled by gay marriage?.... intresting....  Gun"Swinger"?

Gays have the same EXACT rights as straits. THey have the right to marry somone of the opposite gender.

But they don't have the right to marry the person they love....

Wow, another ambiguous definition ... imagine that.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2006, 08:37:19 PM by BluKitty »

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
Gay marriage - why?
« Reply #79 on: June 06, 2006, 08:38:17 PM »
What an absolutely INCREDIBLE coincidence....

Nash bringing up the gay marriage ban on June 6 and...wonder of wonders... the SAME TOPIC on "his man" Drifty's blog datelined June 5!

Hey Nash, if Limbaugh's drones are "dittoheads" what are Driftydrones?

heh
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Mr Big

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
Gay marriage - why?
« Reply #80 on: June 06, 2006, 08:42:24 PM »
Originally posted by Nash

Here's the deal:

Both sides see an advantage in this. Each side can play this to their strenght. It's a win/win for all of them.

Think a little.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
Gay marriage - why?
« Reply #81 on: June 06, 2006, 08:44:51 PM »
Originally posted by Gunslinger
I actually agree with you.  One thing to keep in mind though is that in every state where this has been put on the balot, it has been approved, usually by an overwhelming majority.

Including Oregon and California, those hotbeds of Republican activism. :rofl

Simple solution is don't give ANY married couple..people, sheep, dogs, whatever.... any special benefits (taxes, etc.) that a single person wouldn't get. Problem sol-ved.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Mr Big

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
Gay marriage - why?
« Reply #82 on: June 06, 2006, 08:49:28 PM »
The tools on both sides each know that this will not pass. Each side will then waste time to "debate" the issue for no other reason than political "glitter"

Offline Mr Big

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
Gay marriage - why?
« Reply #83 on: June 06, 2006, 08:50:27 PM »
Toad, clear your private messages, mr popular :)

Offline DiabloTX

• Plutonium Member
Gay marriage - why?
« Reply #84 on: June 06, 2006, 08:51:00 PM »
The Lawyers will pump a bunch of money to make sure this gets passed.  I am sure they want to double their income potential.
"There ain't no revolution, only evolution, but every time I'm in Denmark I eat a danish for peace." - Diablo

Offline Mr Big

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
Gay marriage - why?
« Reply #85 on: June 06, 2006, 08:52:46 PM »
Originally posted by DiabloTX
The Lawyers will pump a bunch of money to make sure this gets passed.  I am sure they want to double their income potential.

It's not getting passed.....that's the thing. Everyone knows it will not pass.

Both sides are going to "debate" it though, by GOD!

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
Gay marriage - why?
« Reply #86 on: June 06, 2006, 09:01:06 PM »
Lol.... Christ, Toad.

It was the day's top story, the President gave not one but two speeches on it, it was on every blog and on every teevee and in every newspaper.... and now you're saying "what a coincidence!" to the fact that drifty happens to join in the thousands upon thousands of people, including me, who are talking about it?

What a gong show....

But at least you've stopped quoting other blogs, calling them driftglass' posts, and blaming me for getting my subject matter off of posts driftglass didn't even write.

Man, you seem to want this bad......
« Last Edit: June 06, 2006, 09:03:32 PM by Nash »

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
Gay marriage - why?
« Reply #87 on: June 06, 2006, 09:04:42 PM »
Originally posted by BluKitty

But they don't have the right to marry the person they love....

I love Jessica Alba, where in the constitution does it say I have the RIGHT to marry her?  Hell I love her, Jessica Beil, and a few others.....where does it say I have the RIGHT to marry ALL of them.

No one has the right to marry the one they love, just to marry somone of the opposite gender.  It's granted to everyone of every race anc creed.

Offline BluKitty

• Nickel Member
      • http://
Gay marriage - why?
« Reply #88 on: June 06, 2006, 09:06:41 PM »
Your forgetting that part about " I do "

and in history ... women didn't always get a choice.

Is that your best argurement?  (rollseyes)

And I said THE person ... implying one, stop trying to equate this to polygamy when your loseing the argurement.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2006, 09:08:42 PM by BluKitty »

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
Gay marriage - why?
« Reply #89 on: June 06, 2006, 09:14:12 PM »
Hmm... but now that ya mention driftglass, I took a look and he makes an interesting argument regarding the perceived threat to the institution of marriage.

Personally, that angle never made sense to me. What is this threat? Admittedly, there are just some things I'll never be able to understand. Here's driftglass' take:

----------------------------
"So let us imagine there’s a box in, oh, say, Massachusetts or Oregon or Iowa.

A big box, and in that box are the following items:

1. A Bible.
2. A preacher.
3. A gay couple.
4. A straight friend.
5. Enough consumables and comforts to last a lifetime.

Sort of a Biosphere II, but with vastly better feng shui.

And you’re living la vida no-neck in some high-toned, melanin-poor gated exurb, or in some scruffier digs where the “gate” is a gaunt, three-legged pit-bull named Bobby Lee tied the rusted hulk of an El Camino up on ancient blocks.

Now at some point over the course of years, the gay couple may ask the preacher to pick up the bible and, with their straight friend standing witness, get hitched.

Or they may not.

In fact, they exist only in a cloud of quantum connubial possibilities until you bust the box open and demand to know just what in the **** they’re doing in there. And how can they have amassed such a formidable stockpile of really spiffy antiques without ever having left the box!

It is only when you kick the door down and intrude on their private business that the haze of potential outcomes collapses into a single, nuptial certainty.

So the question is, when exactly -- over the course of, say, forty years of leaving the box intact and letting them be -- did their status inside the box destroy your marriage outside the box?

When was it -- precisely -- during those four decades that this single detail of the lives of strangers who live so immensely far away from you in every meaningful way managed to intrude into your life so violently that it ruined your relationship with your spouse and debased the value of the love and mutual commitment you share?

So much so that the only possible solution is to amend the foundational documents of our democracy?

Because if you cannot identify the specific, quantifiable harm that such a union would have on you and yours, then shut your ****ing hole."
-----------------------

Lol.... I don't care what anyone says.... he's hilarious. :D