Author Topic: Winter Map W/ Skins  (Read 5398 times)

Offline USRanger

• AvA Staff Member
  • Plutonium Member
      • BoP Home
Winter Map W/ Skins
« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2006, 06:28:09 AM »
Now THAT is a beautiful terrain.
Axis vs Allies Staff Member
☩ JG11 Sonderstaffel ☩
Flying 'Black[Death] 10' ☩JG11☩

Only the Proud, Only the Strong Ne Desit Virtus

Offline NHawk

• Silver Member
Winter Map W/ Skins
« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2006, 07:01:42 AM »
Thanks Ranger...

I'll tell a little story here..

Way back in 2002 or 2003 I was fixated on pushing the limits and creating a photorealistic terrain for AH. Or, at least one very close to it. I experimented with tiles that entire time. I had a complete terrain ready to go, no frame rate hits, looked great. Then someone (this IS meant as humor) in his infinite wisdom decided to change the way the textures tile in the game and call it AH2. So, I experimented a little more and that shot is one of the results. Some of my experiments worked, some didn't. Some required the old way of tiling. Then I recall reading something about not being able to return to the old way the textures tiled (which we can force with the bitmaps and alphas). Once I saw that, I got so frustrated I completely stopped doing textures. I THINK I backed up all that I had and deleted them from my HD. I'm really not sure on that, I may have been ticked enough to just delete them. :(

This is an example of forcing the "old" way of tiling in AH2...

I know, I know it's not exactly seamless but you get the idea. ;)

Anyway, until I get the bug again my texture creation days are over, as are my hopes of a photorealistic terrain in AH.
Most of the people you meet in life are like slinkies. Pretty much useless, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
-------------------------------
Sometimes I think I have alzheimers. But then I forget about it and it's not a problem anymore.

Offline NHawk

• Silver Member
Winter Map W/ Skins
« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2006, 07:21:31 AM »
Originally posted by Bogie603rd
Well I want the trees. But I want to know if I save the file as an 8bit bitmap image. And I place the file in my texsrc folder. Will the hills and trees appear on the tile? Or do I have to place those manually?
Bogie, sorry I think your post got lost in the shuffe.

The trees and hills are built in clutter in the TE/Game. If you make a part of the terrain "rock" you get the little hills. If you make it forest you get the trees, etc. You don't need to build each tile like I think, you think you do. :)
Most of the people you meet in life are like slinkies. Pretty much useless, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
Sometimes I think I have alzheimers. But then I forget about it and it's not a problem anymore.

Offline Bogie603rd

• Silver Member
      • http://603sqdrn.collectivelyspaced.com
Winter Map W/ Skins
« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2006, 10:23:54 AM »
AAAAh... I thought it was some algorithm to where you have to make 5 - 10 different tiles so the system "randomly" selectes which tile will be used to make it look realistic. Didnt realize it was a picture and the TE adds-on the hills and trees.

Thanks a lot NHawk, this will open up my world of tiling for sure.
No. 603 Squadron... Visit us on the web, if you dare:
http://603sqdrn.collectivelyspaced.com
Join our TeamSpeak server, Click Here.

New forum ID: Denholm

Offline NHawk

• Silver Member
Winter Map W/ Skins
« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2006, 12:48:26 PM »
Think of everything in the game as a shape made out of crystal clear glass. Until you wrap it with a texture you can't see it. Any of the textures can be changed, thus changing the appearance of that item. It's still the same shape but looks different.

If you use the alphas in conjunction with the texture you can change the general appearance of an item. Such as trees can be changed from oak to palm.

Offline macleod01

• Gold Member
      • http://www.71sqn.co.uk
Winter Map W/ Skins
« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2006, 04:24:23 PM »
Nhawk, did u create that terrain?
seeds have been laid...but they arent trees we're growing. we're growing organic grenades!- 321BAR
I'd have a better chance in running into a Dodo Bird in the middle of rush hour, walking down the I-5 with two hookers in tow before I see a useful post from glock89- Ack-Ack

Offline toadkill

• Nickel Member
Winter Map W/ Skins
« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2006, 11:39:31 PM »
is there a setting for,

GVs bounce alot and cant move at anything above 5 miles an hour.

??

if so, dont submit a map with it, or i will come trough there and kill you =D

that is all
<S>
Toad

Offline NHawk

• Silver Member
Winter Map W/ Skins
« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2006, 05:54:03 AM »
Originally posted by macleod01
Nhawk, did u create that terrain?
Yes I did. That is my experimental terrain done with the first release of the TE for AH2.

Offline macleod01

• Gold Member
Winter Map W/ Skins
« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2006, 06:32:12 AM »
HOLY... That is absolutly fantastic! Im amazed!
seeds have been laid...but they arent trees we're growing. we're growing organic grenades!- 321BAR
I'd have a better chance in running into a Dodo Bird in the middle of rush hour, walking down the I-5 with two hookers in tow before I see a useful post from glock89- Ack-Ack

Offline NUTTZ

• Silver Member
Winter Map W/ Skins
« Reply #39 on: June 18, 2006, 01:26:05 PM »
All of my tiles are are mine:)  I posted long, long ago HOW to make seamless tiles from a photo. I still think the lesson is floating around here somewhere.

it's really easy, AH1 really was easier to make tiles, and the submissive tiles or overlappng 1/4 tiles.  AH2 is harder to make the "submissive" tiles,

But the alpha tiles have great potential for better seaming of 2 different tiles.  The greatest thing i can see with AH2 editor that nobody seamed to do yet ( or I just haven't seen it) Is the water to land transition. Endless possibilities.  I used a void used by the traget or some other object ( can't remember) reskinned it to look like waves, set 3 of them offset slightly from each other and 10 feet higher that each other, set them over the water and as you flew over it, it looked like it had movement and waves were lapping up the beach.

i Have many tiles to share, once i find a new hosting server i'll start posting some sets.

NUTTZ

Offline macleod01

• Gold Member
Winter Map W/ Skins
« Reply #40 on: June 18, 2006, 01:32:10 PM »
i was thinkin how kool it would be to create the Normanday landings. If we had Landing craft (PLEASE HTC!) it would be soo much fun!

Offline croduh

• Gold Member
Winter Map W/ Skins
« Reply #41 on: June 18, 2006, 01:38:21 PM »
Ultimate link for ah2 editing -

http://www.accesswave.ca/~tscott/

Many good info and examples to explore on that site.

Offline Raptor

• Platinum Member
Winter Map W/ Skins
« Reply #42 on: June 18, 2006, 01:38:58 PM »
Originally posted by NUTTZ
All of my tiles are are mine:)  I posted long, long ago HOW to make seamless tiles from a photo. I still think the lesson is floating around here somewhere.

it's really easy, AH1 really was easier to make tiles, and the submissive tiles or overlappng 1/4 tiles.  AH2 is harder to make the "submissive" tiles,

But the alpha tiles have great potential for better seaming of 2 different tiles.  The greatest thing i can see with AH2 editor that nobody seamed to do yet ( or I just haven't seen it) Is the water to land transition. Endless possibilities.  I used a void used by the traget or some other object ( can't remember) reskinned it to look like waves, set 3 of them offset slightly from each other and 10 feet higher that each other, set them over the water and as you flew over it, it looked like it had movement and waves were lapping up the beach.

i Have many tiles to share, once i find a new hosting server i'll start posting some sets.

NUTTZ

The pictures on that lesson you posted no longer work if I recall correctly, Can you post pictures of the waves from the water transitions? Maybe start a new thread, that really has me interested.

Offline NUTTZ

• Silver Member
Winter Map W/ Skins
« Reply #43 on: June 18, 2006, 02:36:44 PM »
Originally posted by Raptor
The pictures on that lesson you posted no longer work if I recall correctly, Can you post pictures of the waves from the water transitions? Maybe start a new thread, that really has me interested.

The cutting of the tile will still work for getting the tiles to be seamless.
The alpha tiles change the way the tiles overlap, so the lesson will still work to take a photograph and make it a seamless tile.

NUTTZ

Offline croduh

• Gold Member
Winter Map W/ Skins
« Reply #44 on: June 18, 2006, 02:42:59 PM »
I have a copy of word document of that lesson with all the pics in it ( if i understand it's the lesson about seamless tiles you are talking here) i can email it if anyone wants:)