Author Topic: Stay away from Jiffy Lube  (Read 2920 times)

Offline AWMac

• Plutonium Member
Stay away from Jiffy Lube
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2006, 06:27:34 PM »
As I mentioned befer they have flavored ones too
Heard from friend of mine with a Cousin in the Compnee that they will have more flavors to.

Okra, Coon, Opussum, Doe in Heat and Squirrel.. Mmmmmm.. and you can mix em too!

Imagine Okra Opussum, Doe in Heat Squirrel or just Coon on a hot Summer Prom nite.

See that Jiffy Lube has nothing for ya'll but eattin the boots and trashin the coot.

Free samples too.. signed up all the Kin Folk and the Dawgs... been watchin the mail box now fer days.

:aok

Mac

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2006, 06:55:34 PM »
I've always changed my own oil. My 98lb little sister changes her own oil. Anyone that uses a "Quickie Change" is very, very gay.
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline nirvana

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2006, 07:09:23 PM »
I'm a mechanic in training, boy I have been waiting to let off some steam about this damn Mercury Mountaineer I had in today.  8 spark plugs(someone used cheap-o ones, put Motorcraft in), new wires because they used cheap crap (again, replaced with Motorcraft), new air filter, she said her left rear blinker wasn't working, checked it multiple times and it worked fine, A/C hose (***** to put back in:mad: ) and overall, it took me 5 hours to do:( .  Gotta love where they put those spark plugs, woo boy.

Anyway, yeah, oil change, tire rotation, is $25.  Have a good day!
Who are you to wave your finger?

Offline flakbait

• Silver Member
      • http://www.worldaccessnet.com/~delta6
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2006, 12:47:10 AM »
Had a local garage try to charge me $2,500 for a complete rebuild on an '01 Saturn. It wouldn't pass emissions at all, and the rear O2 sensor was acting kinda funny. So, I break out the wrench and dismantle the rear end in my apartment parking lot. Swap sensors out (got a new one from a friend that won't rape me) and try again... No dice. She failed a compression test. Okay, that narrows it down. Take it in to the garage and they say "It needs a complete rebuild! New pistons, new rings, new everything. We've got a great deal, too! $2,500 or so including labor! Your car will only be gone five weeks, no more!"

I say I'll wait a week. Took it down to another local garage, one highly recommended, and ya know what? Blown (sucked?) intake manifold gasket. That ******' ******* wanted $2,500 for a rebuild when a $75 part/labor charge would've done the job. After that, I take both of my vehicles to my new best friend. He finds out what's honestly wrong with the car/bike, gives me a very reasonable estimate, and gets the job done on-time.

Oh, as for changing oil; I do it myself in front of the apartment manager. As long as I don't make a mess and don't tie up more than just my parking space, she doesn't give a rip.

-----------------------
Flakbait [Delta6]

Offline nirvana

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2006, 12:48:57 AM »
:lol 5 weeks for a rebuild
Who are you to wave your finger?

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2006, 02:46:06 AM »
Originally posted by rpm
I've always changed my own oil. My 98lb little sister changes her own oil. Anyone that uses a "Quickie Change" is very, very gay.

Many people cant change their own oil due to rules where they live. Most apartment complexes around here wont let you do any mechanical work in their parking lots, same goes with condo's, townhomes, mobile home parks, and covenant controlled communities.
Corkyjr on country jumping:
In the end you should be thankful for those players like us who switch to try and help keep things even because our willingness to do so, helps a more selfish, I want it my way player, get to fly his latewar uber ride.

Offline mora

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2006, 07:03:33 AM »
I've changed an engine on a apartment complex parking lot. No big deal here if you don't leave a mess.

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2006, 07:16:56 AM »
Originally posted by AWMac
As I mentioned befer they have flavored ones too
Heard from friend of mine with a Cousin in the Compnee that they will have more flavors to.

Okra, Coon, Opussum, Doe in Heat and Squirrel.. Mmmmmm.. and you can mix em too!

Imagine Okra Opussum, Doe in Heat Squirrel or just Coon on a hot Summer Prom nite.

See that Jiffy Lube has nothing for ya'll but eattin the boots and trashin the coot.

Free samples too.. signed up all the Kin Folk and the Dawgs... been watchin the mail box now fer days.

:aok

Mac

ROFLMAO

Okra coon.........now I got to hab me som of that thar stuff. :aok
Democracy is two wolves deciding on what to eat. Freedom is a well armed sheep protesting the vote.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline eskimo2

• Platinum Member
      • hallbuzz.com
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2006, 08:16:55 AM »
Whatever I can't fix on my Volvo I take to a great Sicilian Volvo & European car mechanic on the other side of town.  He has a cheesy looking messy shop and a strong Italian accent highlighted by colorful language, but he knows his stuff extremely well, is 100% honest and for some reason charges much less than the going rate.  So I can't explain why I strayed from him and had the old Volvo's catalytic converter replaced at Monroe chain store.  They ended up installing the wrong catalytic converter; one that didn't have an oxygen sensor input, so they just left that part off.  My wife and father-in-law picked the car up; the next day I immediately noticed the "Check Engine" light.  I took the car to my mechanic, Santino, and he immediately explained what they did.  I went back to Monroe furious and made a big scene.  They offered to fix it but I insisted on a full refund as I wanted it fixed by a knowledgeable mechanic.  The manager was off so I ended up talking to the corporate office; they promise to give me a full refund when I bring back their part and after our check clears.  Santino fixed the car for 60% of what Monroe charged; I gave him a $30 tip and have vowed to never take my car anywhere else.  If you are in the Akron area and own a European car, take it to Santino's at 1266 E. Archwood Ave in Akron.

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2006, 12:20:32 PM »
Flakbait,

Bad compression hasn't a thing to do with a blown gasket unless it's a head gasket.

Local shops can be a problem too.

When I was going to college, one of the jobs I had was working as a pump jockey at a local gas station. It was right on the freeway through town.

I watched the asst Mgr. pump some gas and check under the hood. He pulled a wire off of the alternator and when the customer started the engine ov course got a dash light for the lack of charge. He "looked" at it for the customer, said the alternator was bad then "changed" it out. The customer lef the car. The car was pu inside the shop and the alternator was changed. The alternator was disassembled and the housing painted nice and pretty then the unit was reinstalled with all the wires attatched. Net profit was about $100.00 for the "new" alternator and labor and this was in 1971 when that was a bunch of money.

I don't trust local shops until I talk to them a bit and some other customers. I also don't leave the vehicle for minor stuff like an oil change. I watch them do the work and make sure it gets changed. I then stop in the lot before leaving and check the vehicle over making sure all the caps are put back on and the filter isn't leaking. I caught one fast lube place that left the dipstick on the top of the engine and the oil fill cap next to it on the intake manifold.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Mickey1992

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2006, 12:21:37 PM »
I got my oil changed at Valvoline today.

"You're a quart low sir.  We recommend an engine flush whenever the oil level gets below......"

No thanks.

"Would you like the recommended Valvoline MaxLife oil that....." ($13 more than conventional oil)

No thanks.

"Your air filter appears dirty and we recommend that you change the air filter...."

No thanks.  (The air filter was cleaner than my furnace filter, and I am not paying $26 for a filter I can get at Napa for $13.)

I was really hoping that they were going to tell me that my wipers needed replaced because I just installed new ones on Monday.  But they didn't. ;)

Offline mora

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2006, 12:29:56 PM »
Are these stories you are telling really common occurances or are they isolated incidents? Sounds pretty unbelievable to me. I've worked  in the industry for years and I've never witnessed deliberate cheating. Bad workmanship is another matter..

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2006, 12:50:23 PM »
It's more common than it should be. It used to be that the majority of places to get gas had a garage in it as well. You had gas and service there. Now most places are just gas and go self service so not much chance of getting clipped like I saw at that station.

It seems that at least once a year some TV station does a sting and finds some crooked shops out there. If you present the stereotypical dumb driver (female usually, no clue as to how the car works, it just makes a "funny noise")  you are open to being taken. If they see you know a bit about it you are less likely to be hit. Make it easy to scam you and someone will take you up on it.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline StarOfAfrica2

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.vf-17.org
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2006, 01:06:46 PM »
Btw, this isnt the first time Jiffy Lube has been caught doing stuff like this.  They got busted for it back in the 90s too, alot of store managers and regionals lost their jobs over it.

Offline lotus

• Zinc Member
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2006, 01:32:00 PM »
Back in the 90s, my ex was a manager at the Jiffy Lube in Chapel Hill, NC.  All those quick change places, IMO (and experience), are about is sales - making money.  The cheap price advertised for the oil change is a ploy to get you to bring your car in and go through their checklists to see what sales they can add-on to the $19.99 oil change to boost their sales and make their quotas for the month.  (And they love it when women come in.)

I, as a rule, never go to those types of places because I know that "moron #1 or #2" are going to come out and say "Ma'am - your transmission fluid" or "your serpentine belt needs replaced because yadda yadda yadda".    If a person takes their car in for an oil change - that's what they want, pure and simple.  If they want more done - I'm sure they have a particular mechanic they take their car to for those types of things.

If you do elect to support these businesses - buyer beware.  In the years that monster worked for Jiffy Lube - I heard many stories (also witnessed some) that were horrific.  They forgot to replace the oil pan.  Ooops!  The filter wasn't tightened, but they pulled it out of the bay anyway.  In one case - an emergency brake pedal got stuck on a brand new car and instead of alerting the customer/owner of the car to give him the choice of having the dealer fix it or Jiffy Lube - they (the JL people - my ex being the decision maker) decided they could un-stick it themselves.  The outcome - the brake pedal did disengage and smacked my ex in the nose - braking it of course - had it been about an inch or two higher could have caused a much more serious possible fatal injury considering the psi of the disengaging pedal with his face right down there in the mix.  (No, he wasn't the brightest crayon in the box - notice I refer to him as "ex". )

Also - keep in mind - the employees at these places for the most part are not certified mechanics or do not have a whole lot of training, only the training that shop provides and is geared more toward sales.  Most of them are young guys that cannot be employed by a certified shop due to lack of training or experience.  It is a place for them to start out and work their way to gaining more experience and know-how.  (Not meant as a slam or dig or to offend anyone in any way.)

In closing - I would like to express how grateful I am to my dad for making sure that I knew certain things before I left home - how to change a flat, how to change my oil, how to change my spark plugs, how to test my battery and how to jump a car, how to flush my radiator, etc.  It has come in handy over the years and saved me a ton of money.  I love him for that and the fact that he still reminds me to check my oil and make sure I change it.