Author Topic: Russian Diplomats Murdered....oh my  (Read 1148 times)

Offline Boroda

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Russian Diplomats Murdered....oh my
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2006, 11:34:17 AM »
Originally posted by Hangtime
ROFL!...

the line was 'insertion successful'.

I'm gonna start callin you 'Ensign Checkov'.

;)

It's a joke from a 1984 Soviet TV series "TASS is authorised to state...", Soviet journalist tells it to a CIA resident in some African country ;)

I still didn't see any ST episodes with michman Chekov, only saw modern ones and some from the first season :(

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2006, 01:49:14 PM »
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/5118702.stm

To paraphrase (some words changed to remove explicit content)

"Teh Russian foreign ministry said teh "terrorists" responsible were "inhuman, without honour, conscience or religion".

It urged teh Iraqi authorities and teh US-led coalition forces to find and punish teh perpetrators."
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline weaselsan

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2006, 02:09:58 PM »
Originally posted by Hangtime
yup. nobody ever defected from mother russia. brighton beach is our 'guantanamo bay' facility for russian spies.

A friend of mine has one of those mail order Russian brides, a real cute one named Olga. Her greatest thrill was when he took her shopping for clothes. She excitedly was showing me what he had bought for her, then I took her aside and explained what the Goodwill was......maybe I should'nt have done that.

Offline ramzey

• Gold Member

Offline ChickenHawk

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2006, 05:05:35 PM »
Originally posted by Dos Equis

In the 1980's, Time magazine ran a report about how the Spetsnaz used to round up insurgents in Afghanistan. They would throw them down the wells of the towns. They would then douse them with some Willy Peter. It had the double effect of killing the insurgents horribly AND ruining the town's water supply to let the village know that's what happens when you harbor them.

We need some of that creative thinking now.

Yep, it's tactics like this that won the Afghani war for the Russians.  Yes sir, they really got that country ship shape in nothing flat.  Even now, on a warm summer night, between the crackling sound of gunfire, you can still hear the grateful Afghanistan populace sing songs of thankfulness to their great benevolent Russian fathers.
Do not attribute to malice what can be easily explained by incompetence, fear, ignorance or stupidity, because there are millions more garden variety idiots walking around in the world than there are blackhearted Machiavellis.

Offline Estel

• Copper Member
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2006, 09:22:56 AM »
I agree. It's time for a new elite unit, made up of US and Russian special forces. You could call them... hmm... Rainbow!

It will be impossible. There is very big difference in how we and you are fighting. If our squad will be blocked, it will fight till the end of gauges and then will go and fight with bayonets. Your guys will ask for help from artillery and evacution helicopters. It's a fact. I know history of Vietnam war. And I found there many situations when Delta interrupted missions and asked for evaco.

But this is not the only reason. Another one - big difference in tactics. Your tactics is based on massive support. Artillery strike on call, CAS and etc. Our tactics is to be able to fight without any support. Or with limited one.

Really I can't imagine US soldier on the war without refregerater with coca-cola and without bathroom.

Offline Thud

• Nickel Member
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2006, 09:29:14 AM »
Originally posted by Estel
It will be impossible. There is very big difference in how we and you are fighting. If our squad will be blocked, it will fight till the end of gauges and then will go and fight with bayonets. Your guys will ask for help from artillery and evacution helicopters. It's a fact. I know history of Vietnam war. And I found there many situations when Delta interrupted missions and asked for evaco.

But this is not the only reason. Another one - big difference in tactics. Your tactics is based on massive support. Artillery strike on call, CAS and etc. Our tactics is to be able to fight without any support. Or with limited one.

Really I can't imagine US soldier on the war without refregerater with coca-cola and without bathroom.

Teh Russi4n C0mmandos Ar3 teh Pwnage bEST EVAR!!

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2006, 12:53:22 PM »
I remember being truly amazed when it finally became clear that the USSR was losing its War in Afganistan.  At the time I couldnt understand it, I mean here was this great superpower, ICBMs, Nuclear submarines, best tanks, best planes, best everything...and these cave dwelling throwbacks were defeating them on the field of battle.....

of course the cavers were receiving a certain amount of.........shall we say, covert support  :huh
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Boroda

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2006, 12:58:00 PM »
Originally posted by Yeager
I remember being truly amazed when it finally became clear that the USSR was losing its War in Afganistan.  At the time I couldnt understand it, I mean here was this great superpower, ICBMs, Nuclear submarines, best tanks, best planes, best everything...and these cave dwelling throwbacks were defeating them on the field of battle.....

of course the cavers were receiving a certain amount of.........shall we say, covert support  :huh

USSR didn't "lose" an Afghan war. We withdrew after Gorby's decision. So now we have the same war in former Central-Asian Soviet Republics.

As I said many times - sending troops to Afghanistan was a stupidity, and withdrawing in a way it was done was a crime. Ask Estel about what was going on there...

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2006, 01:10:26 PM »
Im sure there are aspects to it that I do not undersand......I suppose it was a war that could have been won militarily, but was lost politically.

Hmmm....sounds familiar :cry

Offline Dos Equis

• Nickel Member
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2006, 01:54:36 PM »
Originally posted by Estel

That's a fairly scathing indictment of the US Special Forces. My guess is that they  operate just as well without CnC support as anything the Russians have. I'm not qualified to do a comparative analysis, but there are plenty of people in Jane's and other think tanks that have papers on that sort of thing.

As for no organization that fights terror at the highest levels - all we can hope is that the terror orgnaizations stay fragmented like the counter terror organizations are.

Offline Dos Equis

• Nickel Member
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2006, 01:57:55 PM »
Originally posted by ChickenHawk
Yep, it's tactics like this that won the Afghani war for the Russians.  Yes sir, they really got that country ship shape in nothing flat.  Even now, on a warm summer night, between the crackling sound of gunfire, you can still hear the grateful Afghanistan populace sing songs of thankfulness to their great benevolent Russian fathers.

You can ask Estel and others, but I don't think the Russians lost the war because of their anti-insurgent tactics. Nor did they have Predator drones, sat recon and the CnC that the US military does.

Winning hearts and minds only to have it backfire when a few Marines get pissed after an IED incident, this isn't working. The Sunnis and Shi'tes want at each other. Only the American occupation keeps them from going at it. Time to retreat to the oil fields and Basra and let them have at it.

Offline Boroda

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2006, 02:03:59 PM »
I hope you understand that the situation there in late-80s was much more under control then what you guys have in Iraq now. At least noone kidnapped and killed US diplomats. And Afghanistan had a legitimate government that only got some support from USSR. And Afghanistan wasn't occupied.

Sorry to say this - but what US govt does in recent years looks absolutely insane :( If only you didn't bomb Yugoslavia - RF probably could provide all possible support in Iraq, but that 1999 aggression was tooo much. Now occupants are responsible for all such accidents with diplomats, so it goes.

Do you have such an idiomatic expression as "stepping on a rake"?

Offline Neubob

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • My Movie Clip Website
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2006, 02:09:11 PM »
Originally posted by Boroda
Do you have such an idiomatic expression as "stepping on a rake"?

What's a rake?

If you're talking about lawn-care equipment, we prefer John Deere tractors and migrant laborers.

Offline ChickenHawk

• Silver Member
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2006, 02:19:43 PM »

Winning hearts and minds only to have it backfire when a few Marines get pissed after an IED incident, this isn't working.

I couldn't agree more that this isn't working. But if you kill off an entire village by poisoning their water, you can pretty much forget taking the high road and you might as well just call yourself a terrorist state.  Because that's what it is, terrorism.

The Sunnis and Shi'tes want at each other. Only the American occupation keeps them from going at it. Time to retreat to the oil fields and Basra and let them have at it.

On this we agree.
Do not attribute to malice what can be easily explained by incompetence, fear, ignorance or stupidity, because there are millions more garden variety idiots walking around in the world than there are blackhearted Machiavellis.