Author Topic: Messeschmitt Bf-109, Emil, Gustav and Konrad  (Read 6238 times)

Offline Platano

• Silver Member
Messeschmitt Bf-109, Emil, Gustav and Konrad
« Reply #60 on: July 03, 2006, 09:57:14 PM »
Originally posted by Reynolds
Just above the engine exhaust points. in that above picture, it is kind of box-shaped

Reynolds those are supercharger intakes..all 109's had them..early 109's had them looking square-ish while later models had them circular..
Army of Muppets

Fly Luftwaffe.

Offline Reynolds

• Gold Member
      • http://flyingknights.csmsites.com
« Reply #61 on: July 03, 2006, 10:04:40 PM »
Ah, thanks, i have always wondered

Offline DiabloTX

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #62 on: July 03, 2006, 10:26:19 PM »

I have this print mounted and hanging in my condo.  Done by Jerry Crandall and autographed by Hartmann.  One of my most cherished possessions.
"There ain't no revolution, only evolution, but every time I'm in Denmark I eat a danish for peace." - Diablo

Offline Reynolds

• Gold Member
« Reply #63 on: July 03, 2006, 10:49:17 PM »
Dear god that is beutiful...:eek:

Offline Platano

• Silver Member
« Reply #64 on: July 04, 2006, 03:55:01 AM »
Originally posted by DiabloTX

I have this print mounted and hanging in my condo.  Done by Jerry Crandall and autographed by Hartmann.  One of my most cherished possessions.

wow autographed by THE HArtmann???  isnt he dead?? if so when did he die?
Army of Muppets

Fly Luftwaffe.

Offline Reynolds

• Gold Member
« Reply #65 on: July 04, 2006, 04:03:21 AM »
I dont know who Hartman is, but that is absolutely breathtaking...

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #66 on: July 04, 2006, 04:09:56 AM »
Erich Hartmann, Ace of Aces, 354 kills in 109.
He died in 1993 I think.

I've got 2 books autographed by Gunther Rall, - basically my most cherished posessions. He is still alive and well as far as I know.
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline Reynolds

• Gold Member
« Reply #67 on: July 04, 2006, 04:15:22 AM »
THAT HARTMAN?!? I didnt know he was a painter! DEAR squealing GOD YOU ARE LUCKY Diablo! How much did you pay for it?

Offline DiabloTX

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #68 on: July 04, 2006, 04:36:59 AM »
Ok, here's the story:  Back in the spring of 1990 I was stationed in Norfolk, Virginia.  I had a weekend off so a shipmate of mine (who's still my best friend and is here in Houston as well) took a trip up to D.C.  While there I went to Virginia Bader's Fine Arts Gallery.  They had this print and I bought it for $145 unframed.  While the salesman was getting the print I also saw a print by Mike Wooten of a 109E-4 from the Battle Of Britain.  They wanted $45.00 for that so when the salesman came back I told him that I would like a copy of the Emil as well.  He told me that he had a special one that he'd sell me for the same price, the only difference was this one is signed by Mike Wooten AND G. Rall, D. Hrabak, and A. Galland.  He went back to the stockroom and came out with it, unrolled it and I saw the signatures on it.  Needless to say I was smilin' like a possum eatin' a sweet potater.  I have it framed and hanging on the wall next to the Hartmann print.  I'll take pictures of them later and post them here.  

That print (the white Hartmann 109 by Jerry Crandall, Hartmann wasn't a painter, not that I know of) hasn't been available in over 15 years and it sells for about $2000 now on the secondary market.

This is someone else's copy of the same Emil print...you can just see the signatures on it.

"There ain't no revolution, only evolution, but every time I'm in Denmark I eat a danish for peace." - Diablo

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #69 on: July 04, 2006, 04:40:24 AM »
Reynolds you mis read , the painter is Crandall not Hartmann

But the painted plane is Hartmann 109 (see the double chevron, a Gruppenkommandeur marking)

Offline Reynolds

• Gold Member
« Reply #70 on: July 04, 2006, 04:43:19 AM »
So, a Non-signed, non-canvas, poster of that picture sells for 2000? or less? I have to get one, even if it is just a poster!

Offline DiabloTX

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #71 on: July 04, 2006, 04:48:09 AM »
As far as I know all of the limited edition prints were signed.  In fact, it's kind of hard to find any J. Crandall prints now and this one was a VERY limited print.  I have a thing for things painted white; cars, guitars, etc...so when I saw this print of a white 109 flown by Hartmann I had to have it!  :D

Offline DiabloTX

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #72 on: July 04, 2006, 04:53:40 AM »
I just checked eBay and they only had 3 Jerry Crandall WWII aviation prints.  2 going for $999 of a 109 and a P-47 and a Me-262 going for $2000.  Both of the former prints were signed: Hartmann and Zemke, Gabreski, with Mahurin respectively.

Offline Reynolds

• Gold Member
« Reply #73 on: July 04, 2006, 05:13:12 AM »
Damn i wish i had that kind of money! Id settle for a poster!

Offline DiabloTX

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #74 on: July 04, 2006, 05:21:46 AM »
Originally posted by Blixen
bf 109 v-1

V1 Original 109 prototype fitted with Rolls-Royce Kestrel engine of 695 hp. Civil registration D-IABI.

If this machine still existed, can you imagine what the value of it would be?

:eek: