Author Topic: A reverse thought  (Read 796 times)

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
A reverse thought
« on: July 09, 2006, 11:32:33 AM »
Seems to me that from the very beginning of the process to make bases harder to capture it has had the exact reverse outcome of what was intended.
As each thing introduced to make base capturing harder has came to be, it has produced even worse side effects.
From what I have witnessed it has taken the occasional horde and made it into the norm. It has reduced battles to the point of non-existence, instead of improved them.
It has bogged gameplay and map resets to the point of tedium and boredom in most instances.
Two or three days on any map now and a majority are bored beyond tears.
Being ten out from a base and getting vaporized by ack while getting a drink, etc. is pretty annoying.
I would think , if anything, we would be heading in the other direction. A direction that would make gameplay fast paced and and exciting once again. Instead, seems to me, that it is going the direction of bringing ecitement to a slow, boring snail`s pace.

Just some thoughts.
Democracy is two wolves deciding on what to eat. Freedom is a well armed sheep protesting the vote.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
A reverse thought
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2006, 03:43:10 PM »
Are you implying that if the game had remained focused on fighting, instead of CTF, everything would be peachy?

Yeah, that's kinda what I think too.
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney
I was wondering why I get ignored so often.  -Hitech

Offline Badboy

• Silver Member
Re: A reverse thought
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2006, 03:51:14 PM »
Originally posted by Jackal1
Two or three days on any map now and a majority are bored beyond tears.

Hmm,

Give me a plane and an enemy aircraft to fight and I will never get bored. But I'm primarily here for the air combat, everything else is just the icing on the cake.

I remember flying on the same simple terrain everyday for years, the excitement came from individual combat, the game play was whatever the players wanted it to be, and it was always fun. For me, almost nothing has changed.

Badboy
« Last Edit: July 09, 2006, 03:55:57 PM by Badboy »
The Damned (est. 1988)
  • AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Air Warrior Trainer - Retired

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
A reverse thought
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2006, 04:04:59 PM »
Totally agree Jackal.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline sharp8th

• Copper Member
A reverse thought
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2006, 04:08:36 PM »
whant  some            

with that whine

Offline jaxxo

• Silver Member
A reverse thought
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2006, 05:58:21 PM »
you mean 60 cons hovering in vulch formation isnt fun? i especially enjoy being chastised for "upping" on a capped field.."what a dummy! he actually wants to fight!" followed by 25 wtgs on channel 200 for 15 vulches :rolleyes:

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.slowcat.de
Re: Re: A reverse thought
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2006, 06:26:19 PM »
Originally posted by Badboy
Hmm,

Give me a plane and an enemy aircraft to fight and I will never get bored. But I'm primarily here for the air combat, everything else is just the icing on the cake.

I remember flying on the same simple terrain everyday for years, the excitement came from individual combat, the game play was whatever the players wanted it to be, and it was always fun. For me, almost nothing has changed.

Badboy

Agree. Even though the tendency for hordes on some maps can be frustrating.... but theres always ways out. Either get killed in a decent 5 vs 1, find a lone base to pick a fight on your own or simply lure someone to DA or TA..... no reason for boredom. The game is what we individually make it out to be for us.

For me its (mostly) fun.
21 is only half the truth.

Offline Morpheus

• Plutonium Member
A reverse thought
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2006, 08:05:36 PM »
vulching is everywhere, in every sim. Taking bases means vulching. Usually on line, in a sim, to complete whatever mission you have, it means vulching. Last night in lockon even, there was vulching. As gay as it gets imo. Vulching with missiles from 40+ miles isn't what I would call fun, or even a challenge.
Vulching, hording, mass suicide is apart of life if you're going to fly on line. Not saying its a good thing, I'm just saying its a thing... And its something you'll never ever get rid of.

the ack is stupid. it will blow the **** out of you 10 miles away, but get over a base, and you can fly around all day with maybe getting hit a few times.
If you don't receive Jesus Christ, you don't receive the gift of righteousness.

Offline jtdragon

• Copper Member
Vulching
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2006, 08:57:04 PM »
funney, IDF was able to win in 68 by what we call vulching, Take out the planes on the ground. Been SOP sence WWII, to take a area take out the air fields first and keep them on the ground. take out base capture and there would be no vulching.
JT

Offline Morpheus

• Plutonium Member
A reverse thought
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2006, 10:09:09 PM »
on the same token, take out this pathetic bullchit thing known as rank and the only thing people will fight for, is the fight itself.
If you don't receive Jesus Christ, you don't receive the gift of righteousness.

Offline Raptor

• Platinum Member
A reverse thought
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2006, 10:36:48 PM »
Vulching is going to happen no matter what, but thats not what the original post was getting at. I agree, now I fear flying near an enemy cv more than the 10 f4us that up from that carrier.

Offline Mace2004

• Silver Member
      • TrackIR 4.0
A reverse thought
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2006, 11:43:54 PM »
I don't really have a problem with the hordes, I can always go to another base or join in a "counter horde".  It seems that there are two general points of view on this in the MA; your own country doesn't coordinate and work together, then everyone complains when the other side does.  

What I do miss and think was a less than optimum decision by HT was to turn kill shooter on in the DA.  When I got burned out in the MA and want pure fighting...with as many fights as possible in the shortest period of time, I'd drop into the DA and join in or, many times our whole squad would go there and do 1v1 training or KOTH.  IMHO the DA has been ruined.

Mace
Mace
Golden Gryphon Guild Mercenary Force G3-MF

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
A reverse thought
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2006, 12:39:35 AM »
Originally posted by Mace2004

What I do miss and think was a less than optimum decision by HT was to turn kill shooter on in the DA.  When I got burned out in the MA and want pure fighting...with as many fights as possible in the shortest period of time, I'd drop into the DA and join in or, many times our whole squad would go there and do 1v1 training or KOTH.  IMHO the DA has been ruined.

I'd love to have it back to how it was.  

HiTech, this game has such an incredibly difficult learning curve as is.  The DA, with killshooter off, helped an awful lot of people get better much more quickly then usual.  I think it's good for the game in general to keep it off, and worth the occasional griefer.  I understand how annoying those threads got, but can we have it back for parole for awhile?  See how it goes?  Please?
Vudak
352nd Fighter Group

Offline ujustdied

• Nickel Member
A reverse thought
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2006, 12:51:13 AM »
lol some words of advice never leave then game when your on the way to a base because then unexpectid will happen.

i think what would make the game a lot more fun would be to make the maps smaller and put the fields closer together. then it would be a lot more fun of a map and would also be fun.

i do agree though some of these maps are getting really boring (srry guys) and it would be nice to have some maps that have better terrain and some of the newer things that ppl can do with the terrain editor. ( like for instance i saw in a 1 H2H map there were planes up and down the runways like in real life to the right of the runway). just certain things like that.

one other thing it would be nice to have it so your plane sinks in the water. just a thought.

Offline mars01

• Platinum Member
A reverse thought
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2006, 07:53:41 AM »
LOL Jack,

Yeah I noticed the same thing about 6 months after AHII released.  For a while the fights were great, but then everyone started taking the easy way out by dropping the FHrs.  And fights went instantly to teh suck.