Author Topic: Withdrawing from combat?  (Read 903 times)

Offline Obie303

• Silver Member
Withdrawing from combat?
« on: July 17, 2006, 02:52:08 AM »
Hello everyone!  

I've recently signed up for the AH 2 two week trial and my first sortie was as to be expected.....shot down.  I do have one question though.

During my first flight, I was raked across the center of my spit by a 109.  I was wounded but my flight controls were mostly intact.  I managed to gain some altitude in case I was forced to bail.  As I was withdrawing from the combat zone, I managed to limp back to a friendly airfield only to notice that not only was I wounded but my fuel tanks took several hits.  I was out of fuel and I bailed out short of my airfield.  When I hit the silk and made it down, message over the radio (?) said I was shot down.  Did my opponent get the credit for the kill?  

I'm not too concerned about my score cuz I have one of those jobs that restricts my time online.  Anyway, I went back up and scored my 1st kill after a few minutes.:D

Hope to see everyone out there!
I have fought a good fight,
I have finished my course,
I have kept the faith.
(quote on a Polish pilot's grave marker in Nottinghamshire, England)

71 (Eagle) Squadron

Offline Platano

• Silver Member
Withdrawing from combat?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2006, 03:32:36 AM »
yea if u bail out and he had previously hit you than he will get credited for the kill
Army of Muppets

Fly Luftwaffe.

Offline McDeath

• Nickel Member
Withdrawing from combat?
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2006, 06:02:52 AM »
if you ditch they wont get credit for the kill

Try to ditch in friendly territory so you dont get captured
flying as                     
Voudou  III/JG11 BOG
71Sqn./USMC
When we are done with you, you are going to wish your Daddy pulled out early!
"Then throw caution to the wind, buy a one way ticket to furball city and pop

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Withdrawing from combat?
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2006, 08:45:35 AM »
First, I'm over in Southbrige, What cha do in Sturbridge?

When you hit the silk, a host message should have come up on the screen saying"xxxx shot you down", and then when you hit the ground you should get the host message "you have bailed safely" or "you have been captured".

Limping home after a fight can be done. Hitting D will bring up a list of things that can be damaged on your aircraft, "green" text means its good, "Red" text is bad.

Hitting "E6B" on the clipboard will show you your fuel/range, and will reflect a fuel hit so you can figure how far you can run. Pilot wounds are bad.... simulated when the screen twists a bit and goes to black for a few seconds...Your pilot WILL die in a "finite" amount of time. I've never timed it, or counted how many time you'll pass out before you die, but the time between "black-outs" gets shorter and shorter to let you know you don't have much time. Hitting "x" as the screen starts to go black will put you in "auto-level" and keep you flying while your pilot takes his nap :)

Dieing = no points
bailing = 1/4 points
ditching = 1/2 points
landing = full points

Not that points matter :) but you can decide which way you want to do it yourself. Oh and by the way, once you "open" your shute, you can bring up the clipboard and click on "End flight" or what ever they labled it as and it will bring you to the tower instantly, instead of riding the shute all the way down.

Welcome to Aces High !

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
Withdrawing from combat?
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2006, 11:17:36 AM »
Not quite.

Death Multipliers
 Landed = 1.0
Discoed = 0.25
Bailed = 0.5
Ditched = 0.75
Captured = 0.4
Killed = 0.25
Crashed = 0.25

Offline Campi

• Zinc Member
Withdrawing from combat?
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2006, 01:24:56 PM »
if i read that right it's better to be captured then killed or crashed... interesting.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Withdrawing from combat?
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2006, 01:26:18 PM »
Originally posted by Campi
if i read that right it's better to be captured then killed or crashed... interesting.

Well, most people think living is better than dying ;)
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Campi

• Zinc Member
Withdrawing from combat?
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2006, 01:27:23 PM »
what's the difference tween a bail and a ditch?

Offline Tigger29

• Gold Member
Withdrawing from combat?
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2006, 01:40:17 PM »
Bailing is when you eject out of your aircraft.

Ditching is when you make an emergency landing in an area not occupied by enemy forces.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
Withdrawing from combat?
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2006, 03:28:45 PM »
Originally posted by McDeath
if you ditch they wont get credit for the kill

Try to ditch in friendly territory so you dont get captured

Not entirely correct.  If you are damaged and ditch in enemy territory, the other guy gets kill credit.  If you ditch within d2.5 of an enemy, they get credit for the kill.  

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline 101ABN

• Nickel Member
Withdrawing from combat?
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2006, 04:08:03 PM »
on the topic of pilot wound.. i dont think you can really time it.. ive flown for awhile passing out all the time until i landed.. and there have been times that i passed out twice and it was curtains after that.  Depends on how much lead you bring back in your backside i guess

Offline RSLQK186

• Silver Member
Withdrawing from combat?
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2006, 07:19:17 PM »
Gs seem to make you bleed out quicker. I've gotten clear of the fray and still had a lot of blackouts untill I got a bead on a good place to land. Then used auto angle and keyboard trim. Make it a lot farther than flying by stick. Some times a whole secter. Still get some blackouts, but not as often and I'm in auto so I let it ride. Land more times than not. The trick is to get free ASAP when you get wounded.
Hacksaw- THE UNFORGIVEN
Founder- Special events contingent
"I'm very very sneaky"

Offline Obie303

• Silver Member
Withdrawing from combat?
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2006, 08:34:55 PM »
Hi Fugitive!  I work the dog watch (2300-0700) in Sturbridge.  I'm the guy with the flashy blue lights.  

Anyway, to get back to this subject.  I'm completely confused now.  I bailed out when I ran out of fuel.  I knew it was going to happen but I figued getting back to my base would be better if I didn't get captured.  Now, I'm not so sure.  

The wounded pilot thing was pretty intense!:aok  I did use the autopilot when I blacked out.  I'm guessing it was six or seven times before my fuel became critical.  

So the question still stands...is it better to ditch, bail, crash & burn (my favorite as of now!:D ), killed, or to be captured?
I have fought a good fight,
I have finished my course,
I have kept the faith.
(quote on a Polish pilot's grave marker in Nottinghamshire, England)

71 (Eagle) Squadron

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Withdrawing from combat?
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2006, 09:17:36 PM »
Originally posted by Obie303
So the question still stands...is it better to ditch, bail, crash & burn (my favorite as of now!:D ), killed, or to be captured?

If you look at Murdrīs posting again, it should be obvious... :D
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Withdrawing from combat?
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2006, 09:26:28 PM »
You a local, or state? If ya see a Ford Windstar "flying" it could be me  :O

Death Multipliers
Landed = 1.0
Ditched = 0.75
Bailed = 0.5
Captured = 0.4
Discoed = 0.25
Killed = 0.25
Crashed = 0.25

If we go by the list above, they are in order, from top to bottom of the best way to get out of your plane, but point multiplyer.

So landing gives you full points for your run while bailing only gives you half the points.

In your run that you mentioned above, knowing you weren't going to make it back to a base, ditching would have been better. But trying to ditch WHILE passing out is difficult which could give you a "crash" and only a quarter of your points, so bailing would have been your best bet.

Of course, all of this is based on the idea that "points" are important. Most people who fly here do so for "fun" and the "thrill of the kill". Should you get really hooked into the game, compare your score to your score to watch for improvement.

Good Luck and welcome to your new addiction :aok