Author Topic: Convergence  (Read 1440 times)

Offline Yoshimbo

• Nickel Member
      • http://freewebs.com/yoshimbo/
Convergence
« on: July 17, 2006, 10:12:52 PM »
I was wondering what kind of convergence settings you think are best for various planes.

IN PARTICULAR, i was wondering what kind of convergences ya'll have set for 6gun planes i.e. f6f, f4u's, p51d, etc.

your input on convergence for not only for these planes, but others as well, would be very much appreciated and a great help not only to me but other would be pilots.:aok

thankyou

:D

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
Convergence
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2006, 10:16:47 PM »
It's really personal preference.  Where do you normally open fire from?

Personally?  I use 275 for all the 6 gun planes.  For Spitfires, and pretty much everything else, I use 225.  Since I've come to the conclusion that I try to fly all 6 gun planes as though I'm in a Spitfire, I've determined I'm not thinking something through quite right.

Apparently quite a few Corsair groups used 300 in the war (well, according to one book I read, but sure that will be smacked down in a moment or two by the more knowledgable :D )
Vudak
352nd Fighter Group

Offline Yoshimbo

• Nickel Member
Convergence
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2006, 10:23:58 PM »
i fire from close to medium range. unless I'm in a plane that has gunz all in nose (p38, 110) then I'll try and blast ya as soon as i get in range and have shot lined up:D

But I'm lookin to hear ya'lls convergences and why, it may provide sum insight as to how i might set some of mine up.

Offline Booz

• Nickel Member
Convergence
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2006, 10:27:38 PM »
And another point of view, I set all .50s to 400yds to catch break turns on the BnZ. Perfect range to chop em in half when they evade.

Offline Spatula

• Silver Member
Convergence
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2006, 11:32:30 PM »
This how i set mine (for wing-mounted kites):

6 gun 50s => All at 325
4 gun 50s => All 300
As above, MGs i set a single point to inflict damage to en-masse to a point (or walk it through a wing root). MGs need to be concentrated to cause real damage.

For cannon armed planes, espc the hispano 20mm, i set em so they have a shot-gun/scatter type of effect as a single hit can ruin someones day.
4 Gun Cannons => Inner pair set to 375, Outer pair set to 350 (for a nice scatter-pattern) Yes, inner is set longer than outers to give the scattered rounds pattern a bit of 'length' and reach.

like so (excuse the crudity of my paint diagram...) - also note the 'longer' effective range band.
Airborne Kitchen Utensil Assault Group

Offline whels

• Silver Member
Convergence
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2006, 11:28:21 AM »
all 50Cal  to 400
303s   to  325
Hispano 20mm(Typhoon,Tempest,F4U-C,spits) 400
Yaks Las c205 20mms  325
LW guns
all MGs 325  all Cannons(20 n 30mm) to 375
for LWs ive found the cannon needs 50 yards more
then MGs to compensate for the big drop. with above
LW Cannons will hit where MGs do.

Whels

Offline macleod01

• Gold Member
      • http://www.71sqn.co.uk
Convergence
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2006, 11:47:26 AM »
how useful is 600 convergance?
seeds have been laid...but they arent trees we're growing. we're growing organic grenades!- 321BAR
I'd have a better chance in running into a Dodo Bird in the middle of rush hour, walking down the I-5 with two hookers in tow before I see a useful post from glock89- Ack-Ack

Offline Simaril

• Platinum Member
Convergence
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2006, 11:57:14 AM »
Not very.

Remember that when you are set for long convergence, if you get a close shot your hits will be spread out and less effective. Also, the "hit" point will be a bit above your gunsight pipper, because convergence allows for bullet drop in order to make the bullets converge at the stated distance.

Most important, if you really take most of your shots at 600 range, you are losing some damage potential since the rounds will slow down and scatter at that range no matter what your convergence settings are.

I put all guns to converge at same spot, usually 300. If you notice, many responders are tying their flying style with the convergence. Boozer likes the BnZ energy style, and his convergence is long to be deadly at those ranges. Other guys have it in close, probably because they fly turns and get lots of in close defelction shots.

Remember that convergence is useless if you dont hit the target. My advice is simple: watch what the range is when you get good hits, and set the convergence toi that range. That way your hits are focused and deadly!
Maturity is knowing that I've been an idiot in the past.
Wisdom is realizing I will be an idiot in the future.
Common sense is trying to not be an idiot right now

"Social Fads are for sheeple." - Meatwad

Offline Mustaine

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
Convergence
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2006, 12:26:13 PM »
personally I set all guns on all planes to 275 (bet range for me that I can tell) once the plane icon gets below D400 i start shooting (meaning the plane is between 400 and 200 from me)

with all guns the same on all planes i don't have to think about when ot where i should shoot on a particular plane.

also with the .50's when they are all tightly grouped you get more impact per square foot so to say. all tightly packed bullets hitting the same place on the airframe does more critical damage to that part of the airframe.
Genetically engineered in a lab, and raised by wolverines -- ]V[ E G A D E T ]-[
AoM DFC ZLA BMF and a bunch of other acronyms.

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
Convergence
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2006, 10:23:56 PM »
<---personal preferences is 350 for all guns unless mixture of cannons and machineguns, then I set cannons 25 to 50 further out than the 50's//303's/7mm etc....to try and keep em all hitting at same distance 350 ( think weight drop of cannon round )

but truly, it is that mental picture of the planes SIZE in yor boresight/windscreen that is KEY FACTOR in when to pull the trigger( wether they are on a crossing snapshot/dead 6/under the nose deflection shot/etc...), one can not honestly rely on the ICON Range counter in AH2, as they could in AH
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Balsy

• Nickel Member
Convergence
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2006, 07:53:33 AM »
200, I like in close shots :)

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Convergence
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2006, 08:27:02 AM »
Not to one-up Spatula but I had this done and thought it might help some.
Personally I have most of mine set to 275.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d64/fuzeman/GunConvergence.jpg
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline macleod01

• Gold Member
      • http://www.71sqn.co.uk
Convergence
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2006, 11:34:27 AM »
Originally posted by Simaril
Remember that convergence is useless if you dont hit the target. My advice is simple: watch what the range is when you get good hits, and set the convergence toi that range. That way your hits are focused and deadly! [/B]

The problem with that is that i need to hit the target! Which for me is the problem. I tried setting it to 600 in an attempt to get more kills above my 1. And ive been playing for about 3 months! Im starting to feel pathetic!
seeds have been laid...but they arent trees we're growing. we're growing organic grenades!- 321BAR
I'd have a better chance in running into a Dodo Bird in the middle of rush hour, walking down the I-5 with two hookers in tow before I see a useful post from glock89- Ack-Ack

Offline Yoshimbo

• Nickel Member
Convergence
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2006, 02:34:36 PM »
tx for all the input, i find these convergences to suit me:

everything (cannons, .50s, 303, etc) Pending on the location in the wing, is generally set to d400, anything set in the cowling or in nose is set to d650

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.slowcat.de
Convergence
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2006, 03:20:33 PM »
I would say convergence also depends on gun type and what you DO with it.

303's in HMk1 --> 175... further out dispersion removes most of the "punch" and makes shots less effective

303's in Spitfires etc (as secondary weapon) --> further out (usually around 200-250
21 is only half the truth.