Author Topic: WWIIOnline wii be 9.95$ / month  (Read 2640 times)

Offline Kieren

• Zinc Member
WWIIOnline wii be 9.95$ / month
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2001, 06:26:00 AM »
I don't think it pays to be either optimistic or pessimistic about WWIIonline.

On the one hand you have a sim that will have to be populated by hundreds, if not thousands of players in order to flesh out the full war concept of the game. It will necessitate the lowering of the price tag to get that many people on at once.

On the other hand this means that the game will stand with open arms welcoming every type of player that will walk through the door. This means you will see every type of "gaming the game" trick you ever conceived, and more. There won't be any other way, as I seriously doubt there would be - what is the limit, 2,000 players at once? - 2,000 ultra or even moderately serious players online simultaneously.

This is the part that is so laughable to me when I hear guys come here and talk about how cool WWIIonline will be, especially when it comes to the hardcore guys. By virtue of being forced to draw so many people to make it work, it can't work the way the hardcore want it to. The people simply won't be drawn to that type of play en masse IMHO. But hey, I could be wrong. I would entreat you all to envision a typical night in the MA for us, and you see we can't even get 200 people to "play realistically".

Finally, if WWIIonline sticks to the ultra crowd, it likely will be a ghost town beyond Lazs's worst nightmare. Sure, the plane guys might find each other, they might not. The ground troops might find a fight, maybe they won't. It had better be a small world in that case, because I can see hours and hours of hide-and-seek if this sim stays true to the hardcore simmers dreams. If it doesn't stay hardcore, well, it will just be a bigger MA arena.

Offline flakbait

• Silver Member
      • http://www.worldaccessnet.com/~delta6
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2001, 06:46:00 AM »

Originally posted by Dowding:
That's the biggest 'if' in online gaming today.

June 1st 2001? I really doubt we'll get anything more than a basic game for our money.

You got that right.

I just hope it isn't going to be quake with both water and aeroplane wings.

From what I've gathered they're trying to pull off (everying ever built during WW2 is available) it will be.

-----------------------
Flakbait [Delta6]
Delta 6's Flight School
Put the P-61B in Aces High
"With all due respect Chaplian, I don't think God wants to hear from me right now.
I'm gonna go out there and remove one of His creations from this universe.
And when I get back I'm gonna drink a bottle of Scotch like it was
Chiggy von Richthofen's blood and celebrate his death."
Col. McQueen, Space: Above and Beyond

Offline Jochen

• Copper Member
      • http://www.jannousiainen.net
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2001, 06:58:00 AM »
Wetsy, I already know what kind of folks that low price tag will draw... Even AH feels like kindergarten sometimes when I compare it to WB few years back. High price has its benefits too, if nothing else, folks tend to be more mature which is the way I like it. Pilots don't play 2$ per hour just so they could piss off others.

But point is, both IEN and HTC are forced to rethink their pricing soon after WWIIOL becomes reality. I think AW is practically dead already.

In my opinion WWIIOL will be technically better than either WB or AH, if they can implement all the stuff they have promised. So, they would have propably the best engine, sea and ground war and lowest pricing, only thing that is against them is relative lack of interest towards blitzkrieg if you compare it to late war which is offered by AH and WB.

------------------
jochen Gefechtsverband Kowalewski

Units: I. and II./KG 51, II. and III./KG 76, NSGr 1, NSGr 2, NSGr 20.
Planes: Do 17Z, Ju 87, Ju 88A, He 111H, Ar 234A, Me 410A, Me 262A, Fw 190F, Fw 190G.

Sieg oder bolsevismus!

Planes: Do 17Z, Ju 87D, Ju 88A, He 111H, Ar 234A, Me 410A, Me 262A, Fw 190A, Fw 190F, Fw 190G.

Sieg oder bolsevismus!

Offline Jekyll

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.bigpond.net.au/phoenix
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2001, 07:05:00 AM »

Originally posted by flakbait:
From what I've gathered they're trying to pull off (everying ever built during WW2 is available) it will be.

Please enlighten us Flakbait, or Delta6 or .....

Just WHAT have you gathered that leads you to this conclusion?

Personally, ANYTHING which has more than the current 18-20 online in my timezone is sounding pretty good  

------------------
When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.
Chapter 13, verse 11

Offline Jekyll

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.bigpond.net.au/phoenix
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2001, 07:10:00 AM »

Originally posted by Ghosth:
Remember in the priceing war guys that they have stated that WWIIOL WILL NOT be a free download!

Absolutely right Ghosth.  You could play AH for almost a month and a half for what they will be charging for the retail release of WW2OL!

Of course, after 2 months it would be cheaper to fly WW2OL than AH.

Interesting times ahead  

------------------
When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.
Chapter 13, verse 11

Offline Jochen

• Copper Member
      • http://www.jannousiainen.net
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2001, 07:29:00 AM »

On the one hand you have a sim that will have to be populated by hundreds, if not thousands of players in order to flesh out the full war concept of the game. It will necessitate the lowering of the price tag to get that many people on at once.

Does AH have thousands of players to flesh out the air, sea and ground concept? No. We barely have 200 peaople online at the time, still air, sea and land battles occur and they are fun.

And think about this: AH is concentrated mainly on air warfare which is hardest part of those three. We have mostly pilots since it is hard to imagine anyone to sign up for tanks or ships only.

WWIIOL on the other hand treats every player in similar value, regardless if their preference is air, ground or sea. This expands possible player base immensely.

By virtue of being forced to draw so many people to make it work, it can't work the way the hardcore want it to. The people simply won't be drawn to that type of play en masse IMHO. But hey, I could be wrong. I would entreat you all to envision a typical night in the MA for us, and you see we can't even get 200 people to "play realistically".

Hah! Are you comparing arena with historical sides and units to our MA? Of course pilots in MA fly what they want and how they want, it is free for all! But WWIIOL is completely different concept, in case you haven't noticed it. There will be limited number of good planes available so that every enemy plane wont be Spitfire I you encounter, you would see Hawk 75's and Hurricanes too.

Now that is what I call roadkille.

WWIIOL starts from blitzkrieg, not from late war. Plus, they have already modeled unarmed trucks for supply runs and anktitank guns to be towed.

Quite contrary what we have in AH right now, isnt it? If it is going to be a quake, shouldnt they be modeling rare uberplanes rather than early war planes? You tell me.

------------------

Planes: Do 17Z, Ju 87, Ju 88A, He 111H, Ar 234A, Me 410A, Me 262A, Fw 190F, Fw 190G.

Sieg oder bolsevismus!

Planes: Do 17Z, Ju 87D, Ju 88A, He 111H, Ar 234A, Me 410A, Me 262A, Fw 190A, Fw 190F, Fw 190G.

Sieg oder bolsevismus!

Offline Staga

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.nohomersclub.com/
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2001, 07:38:00 AM »
IMHO AH needs someone like MG to bash other sims.
Its a toejamty job but someones gotta do it.

Any volunteers ?

Offline Fury

• Copper Member
      • http://n/a
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2001, 07:43:00 AM »
The best thing about that announcment is that I will be able to play AH *and* WWIIOL.

Fury

Offline air_guard

• Nickel Member
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2001, 08:01:00 AM »
good luck if ya wanna go ww2online.(i will try it too but guess i  dont expect much for that type of gameing type )
what ive been seeing so far its more like a ages of empire game with some planes haha.
nothing wrong with aoe but my guess is: this will be to much a complex game to play for some of us that is trying to have a life beside lol.
another thing is they are lying about release dates all the time, last time i botherd to check was last summer and then it should be up and running in a few months.
did a check before that too and same thing.
well i dont belive it before i see it !
remember falcon 4.0 lol 2 years late and already outdated when it was out for sale.
(good game but still outdated)

my guess is 10% will stop ah after ww2 online goes online. rest of us will stay but time will show.

airguard

Offline BUG_EAF322

• Gold Member
      • http://bug322.startje.com
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2001, 08:09:00 AM »
Well i'm gonna play it 10 dollar won't be much  
Also waiting on Il-2
Yep i'm gonna play them especialy when i'm tired off all those chog's and a none refined P38 model.

Why  should HTC care about the P38 there only a few pilots flying it, u could better give em a new model Hog that would statisfy the mayority

Offline LLv34_Camouflage

• Gold Member
      • http://www.virtualpilots.fi/LLv34
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2001, 08:37:00 AM »
IL-2, AH, WW2OL... Damn, when am I supposed to eat and sleep?  

Camo

------------------
Camouflage
XO, Lentolaivue 34
 www.muodos.fi/LLv34

Brewster into AH!

"The really good pilots use their superior judgement to keep them out of situations
where they might be required to demonstrate their superior skill."
CO, Lentolaivue 34
Brewster's in AH!
"How about the power to kill a Yak from 200 yards away - with mind bullets!"

-towd_

« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2001, 08:47:00 AM »
yippie !!!!

Offline Dnil

• Silver Member
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2001, 08:54:00 AM »
WWIIOL isnt anything like AH or WB or AW or FA.  

------------------
Dnil---Skyhawk until I get Dnil back :)
Maj. 900th Bloody Jaguars
Part time aircraft restorer. www.kingwoodcable.com/jheuer

Offline Jammer

• Zinc Member
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2001, 08:59:00 AM »

Originally posted by air_guard:

what ive been seeing so far its more like a ages of empire game with some planes haha.

That is BS. Do you know about the developers background? They are some of the creators of WB and AW, so there you have what your 'quake' and 'AOE' comparisons are worth.

And also WWIIOL has potential to draw a much larger crowd than a pure flight sim, because of the naval/ground aspects.

It might fail or it might succed. I hope and belive in the latter, and in that case it'll r0Xx0R everything else out on the market.

And while the engine might seem dated, I guarantee its not. With 2km+ of visual limit on the ground with persistant buildings, trees, 64 vehicles onscreen and other objects, the game creates a new level of immersion.

Oh I sound like the CRS PR-guy, don't I? *lol*

See ya in the blitz!

------------------

Offline Cobra

• Nickel Member
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2001, 09:22:00 AM »
Guys,
Why complain about the price.  This means I can have a sub in BOTH AH and WWIIONLINE!

I think it benefits ALL of us.

Cobra