Author Topic: WWIIOnline wii be 9.95$ / month  (Read 2633 times)

Hans

WWIIOnline wii be 9.95$ / month
« Reply #75 on: February 16, 2001, 03:24:00 AM »
For those dogging the Cornered Rat Software people, just remember this.

They used to work with HiTech and Pyro, back when they all worked on WarBirds.

It isn't like CRS is a bunch of upstart strangers.  They used to work on WarBirds, and SO DID HITECH AND PYRO.

I guess there was a difference in opinions on what to do after they practically were forced to quit working for Interactive Magic, who tried to make them move from Texas to South Carloina.  HT and Pryo wanted to do WarBirds again, and the rest thought they could do better than that.

We will see, but I wouldn't go around claiming that CRS is fooling themselves.  They probably CAN do what they say.

Hans.

Offline Kieren

• Zinc Member
« Reply #76 on: February 16, 2001, 06:23:00 AM »
I have no doubt that anyone could produce a sim with the most realistic flight model, most realistic features of ground and water, ultra realism to the bone. All that is needed is time and money.

The question is whether or not you can find enough people seriously interested in populating such a world. I used to think so, I am not so sure now. The price tag is cheap enough to pull people in, but will they be the people you want? Some yes, some no. In addition, if reading their BBS was any indication there certainly are PLENTY of the people some of us are rushing out of here to escape there.

[This message has been edited by Kieren (edited 02-16-2001).]

Offline Staga

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.nohomersclub.com/
« Reply #77 on: February 16, 2001, 06:54:00 AM »
Their new site and bulletinboard sucks big time  

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
« Reply #78 on: February 16, 2001, 09:43:00 AM »
 Kieren I've thought the same thing, and not just a few times         I'm glad you're still around here. AH is a better place with your well though our responses and logical responses. Better than mine most times..

<hmm>

IMO, once again...for Raubvogel and others with the twitchy, knee jerk, self-offense, pre-emptive flame responses to any discussion of thier new found baby... (I suspect some of it is a triggered response by the chip implanted in the back of thier necks when they signed the NDA   )

Does a  higher $$$ = smarter community/customers?? Well the answer is not simply in black and white. IMO yes, a higher $$ does to some extent indicate a smarter customer base because at $30/mo or more the subscriber is usually better employed than the person who is "bun-man" at Burger King. So does a better paying job = more smarts? Not necesarily. More maturity? Definatley not necesarily. If you look around you can see that this community has a maturity problem. Hell even at $2.00 an hour WB's had MG.  And even though AW dos is looked upon as a golden age of flight simming there was definatley no shortage of a-holes there too, at $6/hr and plus.
The down side is a number of good people are left our of our enjoyable sim. That is the sad part.

But!  A low $$$  ($10/mo in this case) means there is no bar at all because any literally 8 yr old can conjur up $10/mo. They do and in massive numbers too.  The kids that become the predominant portion of the subscriber base only do what kids like to do, goof off, game the game and garner attention in many different ways 0- some good, quite alot bad.  You want to kid yourselves into thinking that WWII Online will too hard for themr, far more realistic than they want and overall comprise itself of a mature subscriber base, well fine ...    That in itself is almost entertaining to folks like me who know better cause it sure makes me laugh  

And notice not once did I flame the CRS folks, WWII Online itself!  Just the unwashed masses that some who wear rose coloured glasses cannot see when they look at WWII Online and imagine it's gameplay and future community.  I will always go and play, spend my  $$$$ where I have fun.  If I have more fun at Target Korea, WWII Online, WB III why by gopsh then that's where I'll hang my hat - regardless of price (unless it's hourly in which case I'l pass).
 But I do not see any of them replacing my AH diet atany time in the future at all. Actually TK and WWII Online do stand to be a side dish to my regular staple here.

-Westy

MrSiD

« Reply #79 on: February 16, 2001, 11:00:00 AM »
We wouldn't have this whole dweeb problem (8-year old abusers) if only the gameHOSTS would have the spine to cancel the abusers accounts after a number of valid complaints (filmed, logged proof..)

The bottom line is that the gamemakers care only about the $, players have to deal with their problems if solving it will cut their income. Things would be SO much better if only there would be a regulator on the arena keeping an order.

Offline Jammer

• Zinc Member
« Reply #80 on: February 16, 2001, 11:21:00 AM »

Originally posted by Westy:
That in itself is almost entertaining to folks like me who know better cause it sure makes me laugh  

-Westy

Oh so you "know better"??? It remains to be seen doesn't it?

As for the $10 monthly fee beeing to low(!)...well that is not that simple IMO.

The low fee is nessecary to draw in the crowd needed to populate a game like WWIIOL.
Sure, maybe a lot of kinder garten kid will play WWIIOL, and sure, they might not be very mature, but ultimately you don't have to interact with them, either you ignore them or you shoot them. They will be the mass populating the servers, while your squad will make up your online pals, together with the rest of the 'mature' WWIIOL community.

It's not like a RPG, and I belive that WWIIOL will be less open (though not immune) to abusive behaviour.

"Gaming the game" is what I intend to do. Not cheating, mind you, but in war all means are allowed and I will certainly use every 'exploit', develop every small edge there is to help win the war. In this I do NOT include bugs and cheats of course, even if we have to live with those 2 things in every computer game, so even in WWIIOL. Setting the price higher to scare off cheaters and bug exploiters is not realistic, and not effective. There are morons with money too...

(On a side note I, unlike some people, don't think that 'only' 200 people online playing in the Blitzkrieg 'arena' would be a 'disaster', or 'boring'. Hopefully those 200 people would seek up the action, and the fighting would be concentrated around a smaller area, for example a town like Dinant. Sure it's a lot of empty space, but it doesn't affect the playing experience very much.)

In short, 'my' community and experience will mainy consist of my squad and a circle of other squads who share my enthusiasm for the game, while the rest will mostly be 'faceless' soldiers, friends or foes, who I might come to respect or not, according to their behavior.

I see your concerns, and they are valid indeed, I just wanted to point out that there are other ways to approach them. In a larger context this concerns not only WWIIOL, UO, AH and WB, but the whole online gaming industry/entertainment, and it's future. Its a growing and potentially huge market, and issues as those adressed in this thread have to be resolved sooner or later.

------------------

Offline Jammer

• Zinc Member
« Reply #81 on: February 16, 2001, 11:30:00 AM »

Originally posted by Staga:
Their new site and bulletinboard sucks big time    

What sucks with the new site?

Agreed the BBS is flawed, but bugs will be squashed, and it'll get better. Still I wish they would have used the same BBS software as this one does.  

The site though, is cool, and the World@War will be one cool feature.

Sorry for the cheerleading...but who can resist something like this:

------------------

[This message has been edited by Jammer (edited 02-16-2001).]

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
« Reply #82 on: February 16, 2001, 11:42:00 AM »
Jammer <shakes head>  

I'll give you credit for the basic pomp pom waving and sticking fingers in your ears and doing the 'nyah nyhah I cannot hear you. Nothing you say can hurt me.."

But that's all cause my words are wasted on the neophyte.

-Westy

AKSeaWulfe

« Reply #83 on: February 16, 2001, 12:10:00 PM »
Nice picture.

I still ain't buying the hype, else I go the way of the 109.. gettin' burned!!!

<begins to chant>
Wait and see! Wait and see! WAIT and SEE!

-SW

Offline Jammer

• Zinc Member
« Reply #84 on: February 16, 2001, 12:16:00 PM »

Jammer <shakes head>  

I'll give you credit for the basic pomp pom waving and sticking fingers in your ears and doing the 'nyah nyhah I cannot hear you. Nothing you say can hurt me.."

But that's all cause my words are wasted on the neophyte.

-Westy

Well I could say the same about you Westy. Can we agree not to agree and then time will tell who where right?  

No need to get personal and nasty.  

That is not mature.

LJK Raubvogel

« Reply #85 on: February 16, 2001, 12:30:00 PM »

You want to kid yourselves into thinking that WWII Online will too hard for themr, far more realistic than they want and overall comprise itself of a mature subscriber base, well fine ...    That in itself is almost entertaining to folks like me who know better cause it sure makes me laugh  
  -Westy

Ahhh....ummmm.....nevermind. Since you *know better* it would be a waste of my time. lmao

lazs

« Reply #86 on: February 16, 2001, 12:46:00 PM »
kieren.... for what it's worth...I am beggining to think you are one of the brightest, most insightful guys posting to this board.  
lazs

Offline Fariz

• Silver Member
      • http://9giap.warriormage.com
« Reply #87 on: February 16, 2001, 12:55:00 PM »
Are those trees 3d or sprites? They looks like it is sprites.

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
« Reply #88 on: February 16, 2001, 01:28:00 PM »
 Nasty?? huh?  Wow.

All I can say to that is grow some skin.

-Westy

p.s. And tell us who you REALLY are behind that "shades"  handle.  Little too much orange in that flame beind the 109 too.  

[This message has been edited by Westy (edited 02-16-2001).]

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
      • http://lephturn.webhop.net
« Reply #89 on: February 16, 2001, 01:36:00 PM »
MrSid,

You spake thusly:  
We wouldn't have this whole dweeb problem (8-year old abusers) if only the gameHOSTS would have the spine to cancel the abusers accounts after a number of valid complaints (filmed, logged proof..)

HTC DOES do something about abusers of the game.  As the chief trainer, I've had the unfortunate job of being forced to report abuse of the TA to Pyro.  I haven't had to do that for the same fellow twice, it gets taken care of.  If somebody is abusing the game/community, HTC will do something about it if necessary.

------------------
Lephturn - Aces High Chief Trainer
A member of The Flying Pigs  http://www.flyingpigs.com

Check out Lephturn's Aerodrome!

"Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know." - Michel Eyquem, seigneur de Montaigne. (1533–1592)