Author Topic: OK Idea to Stop the potatods  (Read 5060 times)

Offline Arcades057

• Copper Member
OK Idea to Stop the potatods
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2006, 03:12:01 PM »
I dunno man, it seems like everyone has a different idea of fun.  A lot of new folks don't really want to come online, fight one-on-one engagements against the older players and get spanked all the time; they want to get kills too.  They horde to get them.  Sure, only one of those guys is going to get the kill, but they all think "this time it'll be me!" as they zoom in for the Nth time.

The game IS supposed to be about air combat... and bombing missions, and GVing, and naval operations of a sort...  Yet at least once a week someone has a gripe that a certain aspect doesn't perform the way THEY want it to.  Usually the BKs lead the charge against that person, so it's odd to see one of you on the other side.  I don't think you can change this sort of thing without changing the people first.  The new people that come on and ask, usually in caps, "HOW DO I FLY" and get answered by "Alt-F4" probably don't want to learn ACMs; they want a point-and-shoot FPS.  Seems like a lot of those people coming here and the people who've been here for a while have to deal... either that or chase the n00bs away or teach them.

This kind of thing, mars, it seems like you can **** in your left hand and then wish that the horde will disappear in your right and see which fills up first.  Hell, I'm still waiting for more strat targets to come back, so I'm doing the same.

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2006, 03:23:50 PM »
« Last Edit: August 30, 2006, 03:42:59 PM by Dichotomy »
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2006, 03:26:03 PM »
:rofl :rofl :rofl
Dicho that's great.

Bronk
See Rule #4

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2006, 03:26:52 PM »

Bored at work :D
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.slowcat.de
« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2006, 03:26:58 PM »
Originally posted by Dichotomy

:aok

You just forgot the "mines bigger" - scene :D.
21 is only half the truth.

Offline Killjoy2

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.nortonfamily.net
« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2006, 03:40:58 PM »

There are two kinds of potatods.

potatod 1)  These are a product of the Mission Planner.  Lots-of-luck changing this.

potatod 2)  These are a function of the map.  How far do I have to fly?  Where are there enemies?  Do I have resources I need at my launch base?  Is the vehicle spawn close to the enemy base and is it too difficult to use?  Where's the CV?  These all relate to finding a quick, easy fight to get into.

It seems that when ever theres a "tank town" of "fighter town" we have happy players.  At least untill the buffs show up to close the base.  (ban buff groups at TT and FT)  These features seem to fulfill the needs of furballers and armored players.

Even with TT and FT you have a problem with potatod 1 and 2.  Just not as much.

My suggestion for improving overall game play is further disperse the game.

Why not put some feature play in the more remote areas of the map?  Use the example of "Fighter Town" only make it a historical matchup.  Or put a "King of Bunkers Hill" feature on the map.  A really difficult base to capture.  An island with some serious shore batteries and protected approaches on the beach heads.  (The base name should change to reflect who captured it.)(I like Killjoy's island)

Feature play like these take nothing away from furballing or tank play, but they make for more interesting options and disperse the potatod.

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2006, 03:43:49 PM »
Originally posted by Schatzi
:aok

You just forgot the "mines bigger" - scene :D.

edited just for you Schatzi :)

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2006, 04:52:42 PM »
Originally posted by Arcades057
Usually the BKs lead the charge against that person

:rolleyes: Gee, I never saw a remark like this coming.
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney
I was wondering why I get ignored so often.  -Hitech

Offline 68ROX

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2006, 05:54:26 PM »
Face it...the majority of the time the hoard approach WORKS.  Please read Tsun-su's "Art of War".  Sure, it's millenia old strategies, but they work.  Bring overwhelming numbers to bear--there IS saftey in numbers.  

The hoard that works together and STAYS together as a TEAM takes the most bases, AND brings about a psychological advantage.

My only complaint is how unbelieveably lopsided the country numbers can be; example:  Rooks: 169 players, Bishops: 149 Players, Knights: 120 players...that was last Saturday afternoon, Chicago Time.

It's amazing what an extra 50 players over an opposing side can do in a battle, but it's been a major problem since Air Warrior.  People get sick of getting ganged by overwhelming numbers and defect to the bigger side.

The next thing you know the smaller country keeps getting smaller and smaller as players get frustrated and leave...sometimes even dumping their subscriptions.

Sadly, I understand that there IS no soloution.

ROX
PigStompers
347th Fighter Group

Offline ALF

• Silver Member
      • http://www.mikethinks.com
« Reply #39 on: August 30, 2006, 07:38:51 PM »
This has been discussed adnausium, and HT has said it is not something that is going to happen.  Geez, the I cant defend a field so only X enemy should be able to attack it...yea...thats a great idea.:rofl

Offline KTM520guy

• Nickel Member
« Reply #40 on: August 30, 2006, 08:01:41 PM »
SYSTEM: I see your flying towards A12
SYSTEM: You are not allowed to fly to A12
SYSTEM: No soup for you. Back to the tower!
Everything King Midas touches turns to gold. Everything Chuck Norris touches turns up dead.

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
« Reply #41 on: August 30, 2006, 08:03:14 PM »
Silly idea follows...

Maybe we should fix the strat ?

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #42 on: August 30, 2006, 10:02:18 PM »
Originally posted by LePaul
Silly idea follows...

Maybe we should fix the strat ?

:lol  That's funny.
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney
I was wondering why I get ignored so often.  -Hitech

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #43 on: August 30, 2006, 10:45:35 PM »
AH2's version of the "Easy Button" =  InstaHorde

why bother with anything else, if it requires effort to gain..................

truly sad..........:(

seriously,  I think we need another Arena, but  it would end up like the FR / RR scenario, only diehard  Air Combat types who look for a good fight would fly, with the majority staying in the "Land grab without a fight" arena, because the Insta Horde ( again AH2's version of the "Easy Button" ) is simply easy/lazy and no effort is needed..........

HTC  probably does not want to support another arena for the old time die hard players of old,  not enough of us left, dieing breed, welcome to the millenium:furious

might I add, the old FR arena still had squads/players fighting for turf, but we actually fought and did not need a 10/15/20 to 1 odds to do it, and most of us still don't need it and don't want it.......but minority groups in online MPG's never get anywhere when asking for something to be changed or done about a serious situation involving gameplay..........
« Last Edit: August 30, 2006, 10:49:29 PM by TequilaChaser »
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Rolex

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #44 on: August 31, 2006, 04:15:02 AM »
I don't think anyone is banned from using the AvA. Why not recruit more people to go there instead of trying to change the unchangeable?