Author Topic: Schrage Muzik  (Read 825 times)

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Schrage Muzik
« on: August 30, 2006, 10:23:05 AM »
Give us the Schrage Muzik option on the Bf110G. It will add weight and such, and we have no gunsight set up for it, but why not add it?

Set it up like a gunpod, only it fires upwards instead of forwards. The pilot would have to select the secondary weapon of "SMuZ" instead of "CAN" and fire only the secondary gun to get it working.

This would pave the way for a couple of Japanese twins as well, and for a few notable German night fighters. Sure in real life they were used at much closer ranges than in AH, but in real life bombers didn't fly as fast as most late ware fighters, and they didn't have lethal guns out to 1.5k, so why should the fighters that HUNT the bombers be so strictly limited?

It would burden any plane it's an option for (weight and some drag for the gun barrels), and would be a challenge to aim (no gunsight and limited ammo for each gun -- 3 drums of 60/90 rounds per gun for 2 guns, I believe), and would be all but useless against anything but bombers. Not to mention sitting fairly still underneath a set of bombers is a good way to get pilot killed by the ball turret!

Hopefully we'll see them on Ju88Gs and He219s and Ki46s, and any number of bomber killers. For the meantime I'd fly the 110G a lot more for bomber interception if it had this option.

Offline Stoney74

• Silver Member
Schrage Muzik
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2006, 03:37:30 PM »
It would work against those that don't have ball turrets pretty well, as it did against Lancs in the war...

Offline ridley1

• Nickel Member
Schrage Muzik
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2006, 03:59:18 PM »
219's? we got 219's?

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Schrage Muzik
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2006, 04:13:09 PM »
Stoney I'm betting it worked against a lot, because it was used at night (hard to see the enemy fighter to shoot at it, during pitch black night)

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
Schrage Muzik
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2006, 05:35:45 PM »
While I'd love to see this in something like CT in an actual night operation, what I see in the current game is a lot of frustrated spraying, and inverted vulching. Probably not work the effort for HT, but who knows? Maybe when the 110s get remodelled...

FWIW, I'd like to see a lot of different armament options for just about everything, but I can also see why HT wouldn't like that so much (the number of historically used weapons configurations is probably quite large).
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney
I was wondering why I get ignored so often.  -Hitech

Offline Reynolds

• Gold Member
      • http://flyingknights.csmsites.com
Schrage Muzik
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2006, 04:06:51 AM »
Um, I know I should know what you are talking about, and yet as I wrack my brain I cannot for the life of me remember what it is. Please describe what this SMuZ does.

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
Schrage Muzik
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2006, 05:11:17 AM »
Heavy gun firing upwards at somewhat steep angle.
Designed to hit bombers in the belly.
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline Stoney74

• Silver Member
Schrage Muzik
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2006, 08:48:58 AM »
Check out the book "Tail End Charlies".  Good description of the use of it against the Lancs at night.  First mission they used it, it was deadly.  I don't have time to look up a quote from the book--maybe later.

The book is a great read--recommend it to anyone interested in the ETO bombing campaigns

Offline Panzzer

• Gold Member
Schrage Muzik
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2006, 09:49:44 AM »
Schräge Musik, yes please, "Jazz Music". As a load-out option in the 110G-2 (and in some of the other planes when we get 'em :)). Could be useful in some of the Special Events, why not in the MA and AvA too when occasion arises.

edit: maybe as a secondary weapon for the gunner as well as for the pilot?
« Last Edit: August 31, 2006, 09:58:02 AM by Panzzer »
Panzzer - Lentorykmentti 3

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Schrage Muzik
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2006, 10:21:23 AM »
I don't think the gunner should do it. They were not flexible guns. The pilot operated them.

Offline Panzzer

• Gold Member
Schrage Muzik
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2006, 10:34:25 AM »
Originally posted by Krusty
I don't think the gunner should do it. They were not flexible guns. The pilot operated them.
Yes, I know that, it was just an idea - something for the gunner to do... I guess it's better for the pilot to shoot the Music-installation, after all. The gunner can try his luck with the machine gun. ;)
Panzzer - Lentorykmentti 3

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Schrage Muzik
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2006, 12:00:39 PM »
Heh... I wonder if anybody has ever tried that with the 110 rear guns? Chances are a 110 really can't get so far ahead of the bombers -- they're normally too fast. However the 2x MGs wouldn't make much of a dent. You'd have to unload the entire thing just to damage an engine.

By then the pilot realized what's happened, has turned, or jumped to the nose gun and nailed you.

What's another semi-fast fighter that had a dorsal gun position? Beside the Defiant (it sucked)

Offline Debonair

• Gold Member
Schrage Muzik
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2006, 06:19:41 PM »
P-61 had that nice quad 0.50 on top....i used to use my SE-5a's slanted music Lewis gun in DoA when i couldn't turn inside someone, it increased your efective turn rate by 12.5% & got nice hits in the belly where they did all sorts of sweet damage