Author Topic: Man Forced to remove Arabic t-shirt  (Read 1820 times)

Offline dmf

• Gold Member
Man Forced to remove Arabic t-shirt
« Reply #45 on: August 30, 2006, 03:55:21 PM »
Originally posted by Sandman
Here's the thing though... if the shirt simply said "We Will Not Be Silent" and only said it in english, no one would have made a fuss.

They got their panties in a wad because of the arabic.

Id be a little nervous too if I got on a plane in the US and saw that .

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
« Reply #46 on: August 30, 2006, 03:56:49 PM »
Originally posted by Gunslinger
To top it off you have the balls to wear a T-Shirt praising them.
Praising the terrorists?  You may have misread the shirt.
"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #47 on: August 30, 2006, 03:57:23 PM »
Originally posted by wooley
But can you honestly say the whole thing was not a series of complete over-reactions - firstly by the passengers complaining and subsequently by the airline / security staff?

I agree over-reaction took place.

Try and put yourself in the passengers position. We're coming up on the five year anniversary of 911. It's on everybodys mind, and everybody wonders could it happen again?

Put yourself in Mr Jarrars position. You have the same knowledge as the rest of the world about 911. You know young arab men carried it out. You are about to travel on an airline................. Your pissed about the war in Iraq, and you want everyone to know by wearing your tee shirt. You have the right to put the tee-shirt on and attempt to board a plane.............. Or could you maybe just try and use a little better judgement?

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline wooley

• Copper Member
« Reply #48 on: August 30, 2006, 03:57:51 PM »
Originally posted by Shifty
Exactly.

This country suffered greatly five years ago from young arab men who had their panties in a wad.  Mr Jarrar would not feel the need to wear a shirt like that if he'd get his own panties out of a wad.

So that'll be Muslims and everyone else of Mediteranean, North African, Middle Eastern, Pakistani, Indian, Malaysian and Indoneasian descent everywhere tried, convicted and sentenced.

Next case please.

Offline dmf

• Gold Member
« Reply #49 on: August 30, 2006, 03:58:26 PM »
Raed Jarrar's Story why I had originally chosen a seat which would be far from that area.

It sucks to be an Arab/Muslim living in the US these days. When you go to the middle east, you are a US tax-payer destroying people's houses with your money, and when you come back to the US, you are a suspected terrorist and plane hijacker.

source

Would that have anything at all to do with sleeper cells of terrorists living in this country?

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #50 on: August 30, 2006, 03:59:56 PM »
Originally posted by Chairboy
Praising the terrorists?  You may have misread the shirt.

Hmmm what else could it mean considering that is all you hear about now a days.  If this is silence I'd hate to see loud.

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #51 on: August 30, 2006, 04:01:18 PM »
So that'll be Muslims and everyone else of Mediteranean, North African, Middle Eastern, Pakistani, Indian, Malaysian and Indoneasian descent everywhere tried, convicted and sentenced.

Next case please.

-5 points for complete generalization and poor application of a statement

Offline wooley

• Copper Member
« Reply #52 on: August 30, 2006, 04:06:51 PM »
I agree over-reaction took place.

Try and put yourself in the passengers position. We're coming up on the five year anniversary of 911. It's on everybodys mind, and everybody wonders could it happen again?

Put yourself in Mr Jarrars position. You have the same knowledge as the rest of the world about 911. You know young arab men carried it out. You are about to travel on an airline................. Your pissed about the war in Iraq, and you want everyone to know by wearing your tee shirt. You have the right to put the tee-shirt on and attempt to board a plane.............. Or could you maybe just try and use a little better judgement?

OK - we're getting closer to consensus here :aok

The guy was asking for trouble wearing the t-shirt. But I have to say, I would have no problem getting on the plane with the guy.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure no terrorist would get on a plane wearing something that so clearly said "sit next to me Mr Air Marshall".

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #53 on: August 30, 2006, 04:09:41 PM »

Next case please.

Wooley don't jump off the deep end.

Nobody tried convicted , and sentenced any group.   People of all nationalities fly into America dailey. I don't know why you're trying so hard to play the race card. Maybe you think it will give you instant victory in the debate?

The terrorist were young arab men. To notice or aknowledge that does'nt make a person racsist. Nor does the fact that you ignore it make you some tower of tolerance and wisdom.

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #54 on: August 30, 2006, 04:13:31 PM »

Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure no terrorist would get on a plane wearing something that so clearly said "sit next to me Mr Air Marshall".

You have a point there.:D

Then again would you have thought before 911 a group of people would hijack 4 different aircraft on the same day armed with box cutters?

You just never bud, you just never f***in know.;)

I gotta get back to work!!!!!!!!:confused:

Offline Seagoon

• Gold Member
      • http://www.providencepca.com
« Reply #55 on: August 30, 2006, 04:19:39 PM »
Hi Sandy,

Here's the thing though... if the shirt simply said "We Will Not Be Silent" and only said it in english, no one would have made a fuss.

They got their panties in a wad because of the arabic.

Given the current situation, having a man wearing a T-Shirt with an Arabic Slogan that most Westerners could not read would have created a panic amongst the other passengers. For all they know, it could have said "Allah hu Akbar." It need not even have said anything, if they man had attempted to board the plane wearing a red or green headband, I am sure he would have been stopped as well.

The action was not taken to stiffle his freedom of speech, it was done for the safety of the other passengers. And before we get into extended discussions of their fear being "unreasonable" given 9/11 and the recent attempt to bring down almost a dozen commercial flights at once, and the fact that the intervention of passengers was the only thing that saved the U.S. Capitol building and the plane that Richard "You'll be Judged by Allah!" Reid was flying on, I think a certain amount of passenger wariness at this point is both reasonable and understandable. The Jihadis certainly aren't showing any signs that they plan to stop targeting commercial flights.

- SEAGOON
SEAGOON aka Pastor Andy Webb
"We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion... Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Offline wooley

• Copper Member
« Reply #56 on: August 30, 2006, 04:21:26 PM »
Wooley don't jump off the deep end.

Nobody tried convicted , and sentenced any group.   People of all nationalities fly into America dailey. I don't know why you're trying so hard to play the race card. Maybe you think it will give you instant victory in the debate?

The terrorist were young arab men. To notice or aknowledge that does'nt make a person racsist. Nor does the fact that you ignore it make you some tower of tolerance and wisdom.

OK - that post went a bit far (my post I mean).

Here's my last point: I accept the majority of the terrorism threat in the world comes from very specific areas of the world and that people from those parts of the world are, unfortunately for them, going to be under closer scruteny - especially at airports. But lets not go too far people. The guy - in my opinion - was guilty of bad judgement, but for other people to express offense and almost have him denied access to the plane was also highly inconsiderate.

Right, I really need to do some work..
« Last Edit: August 30, 2006, 04:24:37 PM by wooley »

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #57 on: August 30, 2006, 04:25:36 PM »
I have a shirt that says, "Practice Safe Lunch: Use a Condiment"  I hope to get a few smiles when I wear it.

The guy wearing the shirt got just the reaction he was looking for.

You don't wear a shirt making a statement without asking for a reaction.
Holden McGroin LLC makes every effort to provide accurate and complete information. Since humor, irony, and keen insight may be foreign to some readers, no warranty, expressed or implied is offered. Re-writing this disclaimer cost me big bucks at the lawyer’s office!

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
« Reply #58 on: August 30, 2006, 04:29:02 PM »
Originally posted by Gunslinger
Hmmm what else could it mean considering that is all you hear about now a days.  If this is silence I'd hate to see loud.
It means that he disagrees with the war in Iraq, and he will "not be silent" about it.  What part of disagreeing with the war in Iraq equals supporting terrorists?

Second, read the article:
Inspector Harris said: "We cant make sure that your t-shirt means we will not be silent, we don't have a translator. Maybe it means something else". I said: "But as you can see, the statement is in both Arabic and English". He said "maybe it is not the same message".
He wasn't in trouble because it said "We will not be silent", he was busted because it was in arabic, and anything in arabic is suspicious.  The guy apparently didn't have a problem with the message.
"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Offline StarOfAfrica2

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.vf-17.org
« Reply #59 on: August 30, 2006, 04:29:05 PM »
Another point that should be made, since it was brought up........

The TSA doesnt do security at all airports anymore, and soon will not do security at ANY airports.  All airport security is being turned over to private security companies.  

This doesnt say one way or the other if they were TSA agents or private security agents.  I doubt it matters.  One is just about as ignorant as the other, in my experience.  And that comes from someone who makes his living in private contract security.  Airports require such a huge investment in manpower that only the largest companies can afford to shift enough employees around to take the contract, and even then they have to do ALOT of hiring.  You dont get the cream of the crop, especially not at first.  Rather ironic, isnt it?  Either way, security should have handled that better, they just dropped the ball.  

Not defending the guy mind you, I think it was a boneheaded thing to do wearing that shirt, and JetBlue had every right to refuse him access to the plane.  It would have never been blown out of proportion like this though if the Security guards had used a bit of tact and had some education.