Author Topic: <S> FSO squads  (Read 2970 times)

Offline TracerX

• Gold Member
<S> FSO squads
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2006, 01:42:17 AM »
Originally posted by FiLtH
Please for the next one lets try to go for quality of the fight over going for the sure win.  

Check the logs and scores.  Nothing sure about what you were facing.

Offline Auger

• Nickel Member
      • AKs Home Page
<S> FSO squads
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2006, 02:04:07 AM »
Next time, why don't we just put the Allies at one end of the airfield and the Axis at the other?  The host gives the "Go" and we all just start taxiing and shooting.  It would last about as long, with the same effect, without all that unnecessary flying.  One more like this and I may as well find that old Quake III CD.

This was definitely the worst frame E V E R.  I was out so fast my name didn't even register in the logs.

Offline mussie

• Gold Member
<S> FSO squads
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2006, 02:23:56 AM »
Originally posted by 96Delta
I came...
I saw...
I engaged...
then my plane fell apart. :lol

...i never fired a shot.

Ahh, the joys of flying Japanese aircraft.
And this after I repeatedly warned my guys that
the Ki-84 had a nasty tendency to shed parts.  doh!

Had fun for the 3 minutes it lasted though.  

David
343.Kokutai

Man I miss that feeling.... I got it in OP downfall but I miss FSO

I still remember  my first FSO combat chasing a Spitty in a 190? 109? with 1177 and another squady behind me (Made a great first film)....

In most other FSO's I got my arse handed to me, but thats ok because
1- Its not about the Kill
2- Its not about personal glory
3- Its not about how great a pilot i am (which I ain't)

Its is about
1- The Atmosphere
2- The Teamwork
3- The Challenge

Where else but FSO would you spend a full two mintues trying to slow down your bird when Ditching... (I made it lol) Now that is somthing I will never forget....

The only time I have ever had an adreneline rush is playing FSO, It Just takes AH to a different level...

FSO

Offline Sled

• Gold Member
      • Friday Squad Operations
<S> FSO squads
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2006, 04:02:51 AM »
The 38's were allowed at the CV's because, the IJN had full use of all of there fighters from the CV to. N1K, Ki84, and Ki61, none of these are carrier AC, but they were flown from carriers just like the 38.

So to be fair the 38's were allowed to. I tested the 38 launching heavy off a carrier, and I had no problems getting off.

Sometimes doing something a little different can be fun, just ask HTC.;)
~Sled~                 Aces High Special Events
USMC/71sqn
      XO               What Aces High is really all about.

Offline 332nd outlaw

• Zinc Member
<S> FSO squads
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2006, 07:27:34 AM »
sorry sled but i fly FSO becauses it suppose to be the one place the game is truly suppose to be a SIM and not a bs furball that we could get uping on any fighter town map.

half the fun for me in FSO is taking the time to get setup for the attack/defense of a objective. no milatary in the world would of launched AC so close to a nme field without having complete control of the air before hand thus this blew the whole frame into BS territory for me. forget about the 38's launching from a cv. we can make arguments both ways on this one. but a CV task group let alone 3 would of never got that close to a nme base in the real world before being spotted and attacked way before it got there.  

tho i truly figured we would get wiped out by the axies forces tracer put enough AC in the area to overwhelm the defense.

this seems to be a continuation of the BS planning of the CM team that has been taking charge ever sense operation downfall as if that wasn't enough to show them that some tatical thought had to go into major squad operation style events.

sorry guys i do apreciate you wanting to give us some good action but to put togther a good FSO you got to take more time thinking things thru and to me one of the main questions you got to ask yourself when putting togther a op is would this even be considerd in a real world set up.

after all FSO is suppose to be based off of WWII fighting even if they are what if's

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
<S> FSO squads
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2006, 07:58:07 AM »
Just my .02.... I 'lived' but busted up my plane on refuel.  I would have been 'okay' with upping a 38 from a carrier but with a bomb, external, and within sight of the enemy upping?

I'm not going to criticize someones elses work that I've never done before but I will note that my preference in squad ops is to have the opportunity to form up, make a plan even if it's on the fly, and fly as a squad for a while.

Can we tweak this one before next Friday please?
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline daddog

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.332nd.org
<S> FSO squads
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2006, 08:27:55 AM »
The issue is not about how “difficult” it would be to take P-38’s off a CV. My whole squad was able to.
The 38's were allowed at the CV's because, the IJN had full use of all of there fighters from the CV to.
That was the mistake on the part of the CM’s IMHO. Come on, you can’t even do that in the MA? What is next? P-51’s and Fw-190’s off CV’s?  Maybe some RV8's to spice things up? Keep Squad Ops they way it was intended to be.

I sure hope you guys hearing what the players are posting? I agree with almost all of them. Filth said it well
Alot of the guys in our squad only seem to play AH for FSOs. They really look forward to friday nights. Seeing so many leave so early I felt bad for em. Please for the next one lets try to go for quality of the fight over going for the sure win. If its in the rules and all fine...but rule makers, please keep the event somewhat realistic and not geared towards allowing things that are out of the norm.

When I first read my orders about taking off a P38 off a CV I assumed it was a mistake. When I wrote back it was confirmed. I was not happy about it at all. Nor was my squad, we did it anyway, but it sure left a bad taste in my mouth, and theirs. As others have posted I have guys that are here only for FSO. If this continues they will quit. I have already had rumblings of guys leaving.

Army aircraft off CV’s. Players allowed to man ack. Engaging the enemy in 2 minutes. This is worse than some of the issues we had last month.

Quit trying to try “new things guys”. Stick with what has worked over the years.
Noses in the wind since 1997
332nd Flying Mongrels
daddog
Knowing for Sure

Offline WarLover

• Zinc Member
      • http://vfs1000.com
<S> FSO squads
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2006, 10:10:01 AM »
Let me start by saying that I really appreciate the work that all the CM do to make FSO happen. Its a tough job that all too often goes unappreciated by the players who derive enjoyment from their scenarios and hard work.

I personally enjoy FSO more than any other aspect of AH because it is more than just a furball all the time. Historical accuracy, flying skill, teamwork and mission accomplishment rate high in my book. Unfortunately, last night's FSO was an exception to the rule.

I understand that last night was an effort to try something new and I applaud the overall concept of trying to keep FSO fresh and challenging.

However, I have to admit that I believe last nights "experiment" failed for  several reasons:

1) Historical accuracy was violated at several levels in the scenario (e.g. - non-historical planeset for the period, landbased aircraft off carriers, proximity of forces at the start of the frame, etc.) Although many of these activities like landbased planes off carriers under combat conditions did occur (Doolittle Raid and P47s off Jeep carriers at Saipan that I know about), they were very rare occurrances.

2) Instant furball action rather than overall realism of play was the emphasis. Its interesting that even AH seems to have begun moving away from this concept a bit in the new MA areas. (BTW - I applaude that effort!)

3) For many of the participants, what had the potential to be a two hour event lasted no more than 5 minutes and perhaps that is the saddest part of all. All that hard work on the part of the CMs and so few got to really enjoy it.

I personally would rather see us stick with realistic scenarios even if it does mean we don't furball all the time and leave the whole "furball at all costs" mentality out of FSO all together. If a furball develops, all the better but lets not force them to instantly occur at wheels up.

Once again, my humble thanks to all the CM and I hope we learn from last night so that FSO only becomes more and more enjoyable.

Clear skys and smooth air to all!

Offline forHIM

• Gold Member
<S> FSO squads
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2006, 10:20:57 AM »
I apologize to any individuals that may believe this was an attack against them.

My comments are my own and should not be considered an endorsement of or by the CM Team as a whole or in part.

Offline mussie

• Gold Member
<S> FSO squads
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2006, 10:33:36 AM »
With all the work you do on the AHEVENTS.ORG I think your entitled to say your piece mate....  :aok

Forhim

Offline TracerX

• Gold Member
<S> FSO squads
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2006, 11:05:38 AM »
No offense taken here ForHim, this one needs to be discussed.

Offline TracerX

• Gold Member
<S> FSO squads
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2006, 11:22:17 AM »
Originally posted by 332nd outlaw
tho i truly figured we would get wiped out by the axies forces tracer put enough AC in the area to overwhelm the defense.

To be fair, I put enough aircraft into the air to achieve pairity.  The axis could have easily put 6 squads at A1 and A41 (instead of 4), with more pilots per squad.  The tactical importance of A41 and A1 almost demanded such a defense.  Falcon did not do that, and we ended up having a huge advantage.  Anyone that takes a solid look at this scenario from the Allied point of view, you will find that there is little the Allies can do to avoid getting overwhelmed by the Axis.  The only way for the Allies to gain pairity was to concentrate forces somewhere.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2006, 11:32:09 AM by TracerX »

Offline skernsk

• Platinum Member
<S> FSO squads
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2006, 11:31:40 AM »
Good post warlover, I could not have said it better myself, that is why I did not post until now.

Thanks for the effort, but frame 1 clearly did not improve FSO.  Chalk it up as a lesson learned and bring on Frame 2.  Go back to the tried and true, keep it simple.

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
<S> FSO squads
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2006, 11:44:48 AM »
Originally posted by XPSteve
So how do we know who won? Sorry, I'm new to FSO.

you did great by the way
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline Nightshift82

• Nickel Member
<S> FSO squads
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2006, 12:30:36 PM »
I had a good time last night.  Like it was said before, the CM's did what they could with what they had.  I'm sure this frame was just one small bump in the road.  I'd just hate to see people lose faith in FSO because of a frame wasn't really what it's supposed to be.
Night5  
First tour: 55  (If anyone cares.......)