Author Topic: <S> FSO squads  (Read 2969 times)

Offline 96Delta

• Nickel Member
      • Loose Cannons Alliance (LCA)  "Realize Your Potential"
<S> FSO squads
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2006, 12:34:06 PM »
Originally posted by daddog
Maybe some RV8's to spice things up?

Now you're talking daddog!

Would be an interesting "fantasy" FSO... :lol

Now gimmie my gatling gun!  :D

To be sure you are going to Heaven when you die  CLICK HERE.

Offline XPSteve

• Zinc Member
<S> FSO squads
« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2006, 12:47:50 PM »
Thanks Dicho. I enjoyed my 1st FSO, they need to fix that pot hole in the runway at 35 though, almost hit it myself. ;)

Offline Nifty

• Platinum Member
<S> FSO squads
« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2006, 01:17:56 PM »
I don't mind the "what if" planeset that much. Honestly, it really isn't a what if planeset. It's pretty much the planes that were around during the retaking of the Philippines and after that. It doesn't bother me that we're using that planeset and flying it in the Slot and Guadalcanal. I would much rather have Wildcats vs Early Zekes, but that's just me. I do have fun with the later Pacific planes too.

The P-38s enabled on the CV, well, that did bother me. I didn't like it one bit. Taking off in visual range of the enemy. Didn't like that either. Knowing people who pretty much waited all week, or at least looked forward all week were getting shot down in the first 5 minutes of the frame, some without even having a chance? Well, disgusted might be too strong of a word, but then again, it describes the feeling well.

Please try to keep the setups and orders somewhat historical.
proud member of the 332nd Flying Mongrels, noses in the wind since 1997.

Offline 68falcon

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
      • 68th Lightning Lancers
<S> FSO squads
« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2006, 03:05:09 PM »
Originally posted by TracerX
To be fair, I put enough aircraft into the air to achieve pairity.  The axis could have easily put 6 squads at A1 and A41 (instead of 4), with more pilots per squad.  The tactical importance of A41 and A1 almost demanded such a defense.  Falcon did not do that, and we ended up having a huge advantage.  Anyone that takes a solid look at this scenario from the Allied point of view, you will find that there is little the Allies can do to avoid getting overwhelmed by the Axis.  The only way for the Allies to gain pairity was to concentrate forces somewhere.

Tracer

Never expected you to mass your carriers or place them where you did. It definately caused some antacid popping when I saw what was going on. :( The squads I assigned to defense where in my opinion very capable of fending off an attack and holding a fair portion of our bases, but obviously not the one you created. You caught us when we where most vunerable:aok
My plan was to have a massive second wave attack. We did and where able to finish destroying all bases and attack and sink most of the task forces.
If I had known your plan or had some inclination as to what you where thinking I am still not sure how I could have stopped your attack or lessened the intial onslaught.

Oh btw it was changed to 2 squads per base because I did not have enough squads to cover the first rule 3 per base. So intially yes there was 4 but 2 more otw from A9
« Last Edit: September 16, 2006, 03:16:24 PM by 68falcon »
Commanding Officer
68th Lightning Lancers
Fear the Reaper no more. Fear the Lancers

Offline AKKaz

• Copper Member
<S> FSO squads
« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2006, 04:08:18 PM »
I could be wrong, and usually am ;), but axis putting most or all the forces at 41 not only took away the scenerio tasked orders but would just end up making it much more of a furball mentality than it was.

Setting all your forces in one area and taking off within sight of the nmy launch is easy when then what you are defending and attacking are in the same 15 mile area.  In that case, why would we even need orders or for the staff to make any setup other than 1 square 25 mile map. And if this was known and the axis had put all there forces at 41 to counter, I can't beleive that one 10 minute massive furball would have been any fun for anyone, if I am to beleive all the MA complaint posts about it over the years.

This seems to be the trend since OP Downfall, scenerio "what Ifs" and some type of gamey aspect.  We hear to many complaints about that in the MA, from noobs and vets alike.  But to start the trend of this in the FSO's take out the entire purpose of having them.  The FSO's are advertised as "relive historical battles and events".  In the past FSO's stayed within that realm even to the possibility of one sidedness with very few complaints.  It says alot when even those flying from the CV's have a hard time understanding it.

I agree with what Filth wrote, and with that said it may be hard to get some of the squad back in the FSO's with the current trend that has been happening lately.  4 or 5 of them I had just talked back into the sqd ops from some bad experiences like this from over a year ago.

to all involved in the setups, but please let's just keep one portion of AH to some reality and let the other arenas do as they want.
AKKaz
Arabian Knights

Offline daddog

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.332nd.org
<S> FSO squads
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2006, 09:36:13 PM »
Now you're talking daddog!

Would be an interesting "fantasy" FSO...

Now gimmie my gatling gun!
:p
Noses in the wind since 1997
332nd Flying Mongrels
daddog
Knowing for Sure

Offline doobs

• Silver Member
<S> FSO squads
« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2006, 10:00:48 PM »
The voice of reason

New things are tried for the FSO community with best intentions.

will not always happen, but FSO will always be a work in progress.

Trial and error, every event has had its complaints but the idea has always been in the right place, to make FSO enjoyable to all.

When we do the same old same old the complaints of new ideas is handed out, and when new ideas unfold new complaints arrise.

The CM staff will find a way:aok
R.I.P JG44
(founding XO)

68KO always remembered

Offline Kurt

• Silver Member
      • http://www.clowns-of-death.com
<S> FSO squads
« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2006, 10:23:45 PM »
Originally posted by doobs
The voice of reason

It is never a good idea to dub yourself the 'voice of reason'.

Post your thoughts and let others decide of you are the voice of reason... To do otherwise is pretense.:D

I'm sure Fidel Castro thinks he is the voice of reason... I'm sure Osama thinks he is the level headed one.

Let history decide, never assign your own title.
--Kurt
Supreme Exalted Grand Pooh-bah Clown
Clowns of Death <Now Defunct>
'A pair of jokers beats a pair of aces'

Offline doobs

• Silver Member
<S> FSO squads
« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2006, 10:53:21 PM »
hey Kurt,

WhenI'm drinkin I can be the voice of anything i want.

Voice of Voltron
Voice of Kotex
Voice of DNA
Voice of Snap Crackel Pop
Voice of GI Joe
Voice of Kurt
Voice of Democracy
Voice of McDonalds
Voice of Reason(phffft yeah right reason ya got me there)
Voice of the subway conductor
Voice of the polarity of the krispie
Voice of the new world order(lead by me ofcourse)
Voice of all Voices

So it be written so it be Told.:p
R.I.P JG44
(founding XO)

68KO always remembered

Offline SIM

• Nickel Member
<S> FSO squads
« Reply #39 on: September 16, 2006, 11:30:32 PM »
Voice of abused sheep? (That should come naturally.............)

Offline Sled

• Gold Member
      • Friday Squad Operations
<S> FSO squads
« Reply #40 on: September 16, 2006, 11:52:49 PM »
Originally posted by doobs
The voice of reason

New things are tried for the FSO community with best intentions.

will not always happen, but FSO will always be a work in progress.

Trial and error, every event has had its complaints but the idea has always been in the right place, to make FSO enjoyable to all.

When we do the same old same old the complaints of new ideas is handed out, and when new ideas unfold new complaints arrise.

The CM staff will find a way:aok

Well Doobs, I don't know if you are THE voice of reason. :p

But I agree with all you said in the rest of the post.

TY

:)

Remember folks, we (the CM team) are people with faults just like anyone else (plainly obvious). Nobody on the CM team claims to but perfect, and we are going to mess up. constructive feed back is always a help, and I know I always read the constructive comments. We may not always take and use every idea that comes along, but we listen to all, and try to use your collective comments to better FSO (and other events).

However, complaints without a solution, and threats of leaving FSO, although troubling, are of little help. We don't want anyone to leave FSO because they had a bad time at an event. But you have to admit we (CM team) can't run around trying to fix things just because someone says they are going to leave. I am sure anyone can see the danger in that. We do want people to stick with us through  the good and the bad and try to help us make FSO what most people want it to be.

Fun for all, something people want to attend.

We have tried some new things in the last few months. Some of you haven't liked it, and that's OK. I can guarantee all of you that the things that have been tried have been in an effort to bring some new fun to the FSO community. Some of it might work, and some...... well..... Hey we tried.

Post your comments, try to be understanding about what we are doing, we want to hear what you have to say about an event. We aren't going to do everything that everyone of you suggest, that would be madness. but we are going to read those thoughts, and they are going to be considered.

Don't threaten to leave, that is absolutely useless, and is of no value except to tell us someone is pissed. If you really care about FSO you would be more interested in staying and helping to make FSO better.

We have a lot of new people on the CM team, we are working on it, this isn't easy, give us time we'll figure it out.

:)
~Sled~                 Aces High Special Events
USMC/71sqn
      XO               What Aces High is really all about.

Offline Kurt

• Silver Member
      • http://www.clowns-of-death.com
<S> FSO squads
« Reply #41 on: September 17, 2006, 12:54:45 AM »
Sled,
I don't think anyone think's its easy...

But the reason we fly FSO is to get the realism we can't get in Main.

Sometimes realism means you fly for 2 hours and never see a bandit.  Sometimes realism means you get shot down fast.

Sometimes realism means that you are outnumbered and flying inferior planes.

Realism HURTS!

We want that.  

Getting killed because someone wanted to tweak history isn't fun.... But getting killled because someone modeled history is BIG FUN.

Don't let anyone tinker with the fundamental history... If it was slow sucky planes at the real fight, then thats what we want to fly.

We want to feel it, smell it, suffer it.  We want to be there.  More or less as it was.

We don't want hot rides, quick fights, and guaranteed victory... We want to be challenged.
--Kurt
Supreme Exalted Grand Pooh-bah Clown
Clowns of Death <Now Defunct>
'A pair of jokers beats a pair of aces'

Offline Sled

• Gold Member
      • Friday Squad Operations
<S> FSO squads
« Reply #42 on: September 17, 2006, 12:59:00 AM »
Good comments, noted, Thank you.:)

(excellent sig. BTW)
« Last Edit: September 17, 2006, 01:02:48 AM by SLED »
~Sled~                 Aces High Special Events
USMC/71sqn
      XO               What Aces High is really all about.

Offline Stoney74

• Silver Member
<S> FSO squads
« Reply #43 on: September 17, 2006, 01:41:21 AM »
Don't want to beat the horse, but...

Why not do a Midway, Coral Sea, Bismark Sea, New Guinea, etc scenario?  I know the plane sets are limited, maybe even a little bit boring.  I thought the same thing about the Malta FSO after flying the Hurri I 3 weeks in a row.  But, it was an enjoyable and competitive couple of weeks of flying.  I really enjoyed that Solomons fight last month as well.

I'd love to fly F4F against Zeros, but finding that fight in the MA('s) is practically impossible--not to mention times when taking up SBD's, Kates, Vals, TBM's, etc. is the only way to bang down some targets...

Offline mussie

• Gold Member
<S> FSO squads
« Reply #44 on: September 17, 2006, 04:37:56 AM »
Now again I was not there, so I dont know the whole story. but to determine if things were done correctly I think that you just need to examine the FSO Rules

The purpose of the Friday Squad Operations is to:
1- Provide players with an environment of fair play.
2- As seen in a historical light.

This historical environment of fair play may include:
Strategies, tactics and logisticsThat were used during World War II.

So in this case

1- Was the enviroment fair ?
I think the over all enviroment of the frame (IE: for bot sides as a whole) as there will always be somone or some squad that is sacrificed by need, chance or Command error)

2- Was the enviroment historical ?
To be historical the frame needs to have used Strategies, tactics and logistics That were used during World War II.
- Were P38's ever launched from CV's...?

I almost quit AH when I stopped playing FSO (I actually sent an email to AH support asking to close my account Skuzzy replied and said I could do it from with in the game. When I logged on to cancel my account. I ended up logging in to play ) So I hope that when I finnaly return to Active FSO Duty it is the same as it was when I left.

All