Author Topic: HT ... idea on Arena population control  (Read 1340 times)

Offline Kev367th

• Platinum Member
Re: Re: Re: HT ... idea on Arena population control
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2006, 05:59:01 PM »
Originally posted by SlapShot
Please point out how its limiting choices YET AGAIN.

Currently when an arena is MAXed out ... you have no choice ... with this you do at least have a choice ... it may not be the one you want, but nevertheless it's still a choice, and when taken, it would also help balance an arena.

It's a choice that I believe that alot of people would like to have at the moment, because currently they don't have a choice. Arena MAXed ... no soup for you.

If you and all the others that all those who are holding their collective breaths and turning blue thinking that HT will undo what is done ... it ain't gonna happen.

Yeah ... it's all the BKs fault ... HT is easily led by the nose ... I can tell that you have never met with and talked to HT.

Thanks for your constructive input tho.

Think about the main criticism at the moment -
The inability to fly with your squad
Your idea would only make it worse, and has HT has pointed out lead to more 'unrest'.
Until you can accept that "a lot" of people like to fly with their squad you'll never get the gist of the whole problem.
So no I don't agree "a lot" of people would be happy with your idea, in fact I would bet more than "a lot" would be extremely unhappy.

Arena maxxed - There is a choice, your wrong, LW1, LW2 etc.
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
Asus M3N-HT mobo
2 x 2Gb Corsair 1066 DDR2 memory

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
Re: Re: Re: Re: HT ... idea on Arena population control
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2006, 06:19:58 PM »
Originally posted by Kev367th
Think about the main criticism at the moment -
Your idea would only make it worse, and has HT has pointed out lead to more 'unrest'.
Until you can accept that "a lot" of people like to fly with their squad you'll never get the gist of the whole problem.
So no I don't agree "a lot" of people would be happy with your idea, in fact I would bet more than "a lot" would be extremely unhappy.

Arena maxxed - There is a choice, your wrong, LW1, LW2 etc.

Kev ... there is nothing you or anybody can tell me about flying with a squad ... I flew with one of the largest and best squads in the history of AH ... so I know all about it ...

BUT ....

there is nothing that is gonna solve ... I want to fly with my squad of 32 or more anywhere I want ... without HT reversing what he has already done ... and guess what ... if I were a betting man ... I would bet the ranch that it ain't going back to where it was.

I would also bet that my idea would make a lot of people happy. From what I have read ... LW2 ... LW3 ... some people don't like it and most hate it ... LW2 is usually the leftovers from LW1 with a max of 25 or more people ... sounds like great fun for an LW arena.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline vorticon

• Platinum Member
HT ... idea on Arena population control
« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2006, 07:24:22 PM »
"
So no I don't agree "a lot" of people would be happy with your idea, in fact I would bet more than "a lot" would be extremely unhappy."

so, you'll be unable to fly on the same team as your squad for a hour...better than being stuck in a different arena waiting for someone else to log off.

"
Guess you won't be happy till everyone either plays the game the way YOU WANT IT. "

this idea doesnt make you play the game any differently, just on a different team for a hour. just think of yourself as caught behind enemy lines if it matters that much...

Offline baine1

• Zinc Member
« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2006, 07:28:35 PM »
One of the problems with the current setup is that the low cap numbers  and the dividing of the player base among many different arenas, make it extremely difficullt to balance sides.
If a squad logs on enmasse, even a small squad of 10-15 people (About the size of the squad I belong to) it has a big impact on an arena that might only have 125 folks playing. People can change sides, but then if a squad logs off enmasse, as someone mentioned in one of the many posts on the new system, things are thrown off balance again and the people willing to switch can't do it again to immediately balance sides.

Add to that the churn factor, people logging on in hopes of finding a fight, finding that the 25 folks on side A  are happily battling the 30 folks from side B with both totally ignoring the poor saps on side C, and logging off and going somewhere else in hopes of finding some action, and you can see the difficulty.
I like the idea of being able to choose your country, particularly if you could see what countries other folks who are logged in have already selected. This way you can join up with squaddies.

I also would suggest doing away with the chess piece names, coming up with something totally different, so people have no particular loyalty and might be willing to give switching sides a try.

As for waiting for the waves to settle down, I would just observe that with more than a thousand posts generated by this new system, we are not looking at "waves" but at a tsunami.
I don't know if anything can be done now to help the situation, but I don't see it ending soon.

Offline SFCHONDO

• Silver Member
« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2006, 07:44:56 PM »
Why not make it simple. Say arena size is 300 for example (wish it was 350-400) just make each side have a max number of 100. If the country u want is full you either join another or wait till someone on that country logs off. Seems to be the simple solution. Is it perfect..No. But no system is.
        HONDO
DENVER BRONCOS    

Retired from AH

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2006, 10:25:13 PM »
Originally posted by SFCHONDO
Why not make it simple. Say arena size is 300 for example (wish it was 350-400) just make each side have a max number of 100. If the country u want is full you either join another or wait till someone on that country logs off. Seems to be the simple solution. Is it perfect..No. But no system is.

Now what do you do if ALL sides are full ? ... sit and wait till someone logs and hope to hell you log in before someone steals the slot ? ... how many times will you do that before you say just F-it and turn the computer off ? ... have you ever tried to log into a popular H2H room ? ... if you have, you will know what I am talking about.

This idea would still allow you to log in.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2006, 10:29:45 PM »
I also would suggest doing away with the chess piece names, coming up with something totally different, so people have no particular loyalty and might be willing to give switching sides a try.

Change the name to apples, oranges, and peaches ... you will still get someone saying ... I started as an apple and will always be an apple no matter what ... the names have nothing to do with the problem.

But what does any of this have to do with balance and arena caps and how to allieviate some of the problems that those bring to the table ?
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Offline TheCage

• Copper Member
« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2006, 11:28:48 PM »
Here is my two cents.   In another sim that I fly, my squadron when they get together, looks at the numbers and the one with the lowest numbers is the country we fly with.   Since the MA is dead, country loyalty is not important anymore.   The fighting is just as fun, and you get to know more people then just the ones in one country alone.   Flying with squads that you've fought for years is rather fun to say the least.  If squads would look at the numbers and fly that night with the few, game balance would not be a problem.   Since furballing seems to be the norm now, what difference does it make?   Just my two cents worth.

Offline Mugzeee

• Silver Member
« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2006, 12:11:34 AM »
I think maybe some are missing what Slap is trying to propose in it's entirety.

With his plan, the Arena "CAP" would be "fluid" so long as additional players wanting to enter would be accepting to the premise that they will be offset to one of the countries that were outnumbered at the time of their log on.

It would let the cap grow lenierly beoynd its "default cap"

His math 150 = 80 = 70 =300.  the arena would be a full by a default per sey.

Now if anyone wanted to join said maxed arena…they would be allowed to only if they were willing to go to whatever country was out numbered.

I’m not sure if I am for or against the idea just yet.

I might be for it,  if the logistics could be worked out.

Might be tricky.

But I think HT is prolly right. Even if it is a good idea…it prolly wouldn’t be viewed as such. Could be a bad move at the moment.

But then again, a well thought out marketing strategy could go a long ways towards it success.

hmmmmm

PS. This whole "chess peice" propaganda BS is getting really old.

Offline SFCHONDO

• Silver Member
« Reply #39 on: September 22, 2006, 12:40:19 AM »
Originally posted by SlapShot
Now what do you do if ALL sides are full ? ... sit and wait till someone logs and hope to hell you log in before someone steals the slot ? ... how many times will you do that before you say just F-it and turn the computer off ? ... have you ever tried to log into a popular H2H room ? ... if you have, you will know what I am talking about.

This idea would still allow you to log in.

Whats the differance if the freaking arena is full, my way or your way....A full arena is FULL....You still have to wait. Is that really that hard to understand?

Mugzee that's all fine, but HT doesn't seem to want big arenas anymore. he wants a cap on it.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2006, 12:43:07 AM by SFCHONDO »
        HONDO
DENVER BRONCOS    

Retired from AH

Offline Mugzeee

• Silver Member
« Reply #40 on: September 22, 2006, 01:14:04 AM »
Yeah i understand that Hondo :(
And to quote someone else
"I dont like it sir"

That being said. My reference to "Logistics" was in regards in part to Arena Caps. I still think 300 would be too low.

But all in all i think the proposed plan has some merit for the odd man out.

But i would only be hep on the idea if the arena caps were reasonable, and i think 300 for LW is unreasonable. But i dont think Slap was actually implying that 300 would be acceptable for the LW arena.

Now if the idea were to be implimented and the Cap of 300 in an arena stay in place? You would hear me screeming like i have about the current setup.

I dont care how much ridicule i may receive here by the few...They will continue to say "Paly it my way" i will continue to say "Play it my way"

But "they" cant seem to understand that it sounds no different from either side of the fench you sit on. The only real difference is that HT is basically on their side on this issue or they on his. And no HT doesnt have to Pick a side to actually be on one.

Finally i say...the idea that Slap proposes might have merit is properly implimented. We will just have to sit and watch it play out.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2006, 01:20:54 AM by Mugzeee »

Offline Edbert

• Gold Member
      • http://www.edbert.net
« Reply #41 on: September 22, 2006, 08:28:25 AM »

Originally posted by Edbert
...maybe there could be a 100 player limit for any one team, with a 300-player cap in each arena it ensures the arena will never get maxed out AND have unbalanced teams. If there are unbalanced teams in a non-maxed arena then the players only have themselves to blame.

:D

Edit (not directed at any individual or squad):
Ya know, back in another sim, I flew for a squad that was deep into the country loyalty thing. We flew for the glory of "Goldlandia" against the unwashed scum of the Barneys the Kermits and the Tampons, seemed fun and natural at the time, but seems really silly and downright childish now.

When we moved to AH-Beta we decided we would rotate among the chesspeices each tour, got to meet a lot of great people and squads that way. Both fighting WITH them and later AGAINST them, it was not personal...it was fun, it was not a war...it was a game. We did that for over 5 years, also found out that basically all the countries sucked, they all stole kills, they all failed to give 6 calls using you as bait, they all had fun-police on them, they all hid the carriers, they all....I digress.

Now I am in a squad where we often fly for 2 or three "countries" simultaneously, and hunt each other. Makes for some really entertaining squad nights, if we had them that is...LOL.

Bottom line here is don't get so caught up in "the war" thing, this is a game, it is only here so we can have fun while "pretend fighting" not REALLY fighting.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2006, 08:40:13 AM by Edbert »

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #42 on: September 22, 2006, 08:37:47 AM »
that won't work with......

THE RULE

The rule says that anyone leaving the hallowed dildo shaped chess piece will be thrown from the squad in rags....

Soooo...  you will still get the whines when one country has 80 players and 21 squaddies and life partners are not able to get into that arena in a clump.

lazs
Public Relations Officer for the BK's

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #43 on: September 22, 2006, 08:48:51 AM »
Whats the differance if the freaking arena is full, my way or your way....A full arena is FULL....You still have to wait. Is that really that hard to understand?

Mugzee that's all fine, but HT doesn't seem to want big arenas anymore. he wants a cap on it.

I guess you really aren't understanding my point ... with my idea, the arena will never be MAXed (full) and people can still get it ... if they accept the choices given to them. If they don't like the choices, then they will have to go elsewhere ... but at least those who are willing to accept the choices ... can get in.

With your idea, once the arena reaches the MAX (300 in this instance) ... no one gets in to the arena and must now choose LW2 ... which from what I have read, usually has around 25 or so players and really is no fun for those who would want to participate in an LW arena.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #44 on: September 22, 2006, 08:55:06 AM »
Originally posted by lazs2
that won't work with......

THE RULE

The rule says that anyone leaving the hallowed dildo shaped chess piece will be thrown from the squad in rags....

Soooo...  you will still get the whines when one country has 80 players and 21 squaddies and life partners are not able to get into that arena in a clump.

lazs
Public Relations Officer for the BK's

Your right ... in most instances it won't work for squads that have that "rule" ... this idea is not intended to help/save those that live by the "rule" ... it is intended to allow those who DON'T live by the "rule" the ability to get into an arena that would otherwise be closed ... if they choose to fly for one of the under-populated countries.

There is no solution, that I can think of, to alleiviate the problem of those who live by the "rule" ... why should those, who are willing to switch countries to help balance, be punished ? ... I can't think of any reason why.
SlapShot - Blue Knights