Author Topic: HT ... idea on Arena population control  (Read 1339 times)

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
HT ... idea on Arena population control
« on: September 21, 2006, 10:24:50 AM »
Let's say that the arena max population is 300 in LW1 for example.

Current counts ...

Rooks have 150
Bish have 80
Knights have 70

So if I choose LW1 I am presented with a popup that provides me a selective choice to join either the Bish or the Knights ... Rooks are not available due to their superior numbers.

Would this not help some people who want to fly in that arena, who really don't care what country that they fly for and at the same time direct people to help create a balance ... if they want to fly in that particular arena ?

This would allow the arena max to be surpassed, but also persuade others to balance.

So when someone chooses the arena you do ...

If current_arena_pop >= arena_max ... display country choice panel

The country choice panel would display, in this case, Bish or Knights.

Now in the instance when all countries have equal numbers or equality in numbers with say +/- 10 people ... then the popup would not appear and they would go to the country that they last flew for in the arena.

Rooks have 110
Bish have 90
Knights have 100

This would not produce the popup and the player would just directly join the last country that they flew for.

Would this not make the joining of a particular arena fluid and dynamic and at the same time allow the population max to dynamically change if people choose to do the right thing ?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2006, 10:59:28 AM by SlapShot »
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline DadRabit

• Nickel Member
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2006, 10:45:18 AM »
would be nice.  as long as we could add a pop-up blocker too    :D
David (Daddy Rabbit) Jester
S! 68KO
S! A8WB
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. Ronald Reagan

Offline DaPup

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2006, 10:54:55 AM »
I think that sounds great Slap, not sure how much trouble that would entail on HTC's end to create but I think it would help with the overpopulation of one side over the others.

Offline Mustaine

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2006, 11:05:11 AM »
if you made it so a third choice would be "try another arena", it would not be so bad i think.

I think the squad I used to fly with would want to fly "together", and I am guessing with a smaller squad like that (10 players max online @ 1 time) 1 or 2 would log into another arena, mention they couldn't get into arean XXX and the others would leave and join them somewhere else

at least therotically... knowing 42 he'd be up for doing something like that... LW (luftwaffe) planes are LW planes in all arenas.

I am not speakign for him per say, but thats just a guess.

you know me personally slappy, and all I won't do is fly bish, otherwise I prefer knights, but have flown rook.

this whole thing with the arenas though does disrupt one thing... things like RJO. now some didn't like that, others did. one thing it did do was bring a the community together a bit, and helped the rooks overcome their low numbers before it was started. it is a shame soemthign like that can no longer realistically function. i kind of liked being one of the defense people in that, when the knights / bish tried to backdoor the horde there were certain people who's job it was to defend even while outnumbered the back lines.
Genetically engineered in a lab, and raised by wolverines -- ]V[ E G A D E T ]-[
AoM DFC ZLA BMF and a bunch of other acronyms.

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2006, 11:13:14 AM »
Originally posted by Mustaine
if you made it so a third choice would be "try another arena", it would not be so bad i think.

I think the squad I used to fly with would want to fly "together", and I am guessing with a smaller squad like that (10 players max online @ 1 time) 1 or 2 would log into another arena, mention they couldn't get into arean XXX and the others would leave and join them somewhere else

at least therotically... knowing 42 he'd be up for doing something like that... LW (luftwaffe) planes are LW planes in all arenas.

I am not speakign for him per say, but thats just a guess.

you know me personally slappy, and all I won't do is fly bish, otherwise I prefer knights, but have flown rook.

this whole thing with the arenas though does disrupt one thing... things like RJO. now some didn't like that, others did. one thing it did do was bring a the community together a bit, and helped the rooks overcome their low numbers before it was started. it is a shame soemthign like that can no longer realistically function. i kind of liked being one of the defense people in that, when the knights / bish tried to backdoor the horde there were certain people who's job it was to defend even while outnumbered the back lines.

Yup ... know you personally and had a blast with you and 42 at the con.

Well ... the idea provides "choice" ... and it's your choice to do what you or your squad wants to do. Others would also have the same choice and if the parameters of the choice(s) suited them, then they could join the arena ... else go look elsewhere at other arena choices.

What I have seen is that there are individuals (those that don't belong to squads) that want to join an arena ... but can't because the max population has been met ... this idea would allow them to join the arena ... but under certain conditions ... they would not summarily be denied like they are now.

Now ... I hope that the discussion(s) in this thread are about the merits of my idea and not what was in the past ... there are numerous threads already that are covering that subject ... this idea is trying to move towards the future and forget the past.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2006, 12:03:41 PM »
Originally posted by DaPup
I think that sounds great Slap, not sure how much trouble that would entail on HTC's end to create but I think it would help with the overpopulation of one side over the others.

If HT were to think that this idea or a derivative of it is viable, then he probably wouldn't care what trouble it would entail for him coading it ... but rather would it solve a problem without causing/creating another problem.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Offline Edbert

• Gold Member
      • http://www.edbert.net
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2006, 12:03:59 PM »
I'm not sure, would have to think about it some more, but creative thinking and adaptation (like you have shown) are definitely part of the solution to what so many folks see as a problem.

Speaking just for myself...I would not like to be restricted from joining any country. I would see that as what many folks who are complaining say it is, limiting my choice of playing where/what/how I want to play. As long as someone, in your scenario, is willing to suffer the ENY then who's to say they cannot join rooks?

Now of course in your scenario those already playing rooks would be penalised for the new guy joining the side with the numbers, As long as they were allowed to switch at will I would not think this to be a problem. When you land and exit your La7 and find the ENY kicked in while you were on sortie and you cannot reup in another one, you should be allowed, in my opinion, to switch sides and fly the La7 for another chesspeice.

I have heard that unlimited or loosely limited side-switching will lead to espionage, but don't kid yourself, spies are rampant already and will continue to be so even if side switching were limited to once per tour.

I don't know the solution, but I think that given enough time the current mechanics will work themselves out. I mean everything folks are complaining about, EVERYTHING that is perceived as affecting them negatively, is only doing so because of their own personal choice. If you have some sort of rabid loyalty to one of the chesspeices that prevents you from switching sides when your team outnumbers all opponents, then it is YOUR choice to only be able to fly the P40. If you are afraid to join a side that is outnumbered, or are afriad of not being on the side with numerical superiority, then it is YOUR choice to be restricted from flying the uber-ride you want.

Once it sinks in that personal choice is the root cause of all these perceived injustices I expect the whining to die down to normal levels.

=========

...so you were a MAW eh? that splains a lot....lol...Hubs was a BOP once too...

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2006, 12:16:59 PM »
Thanks for the reply Ed.

The idea revolves around "balance", which I believe from reading numerous post as of late, is what HT is trying to strive for the most, along with trying to get arenas above and beyond the CAP limit, but with control and balance.

ENY formulas and side-switching limits are still maintained as they already are, but in my example above, I believe that that Rooks would be facing an ENY restriction ... now if more people joined the arena under my conditions, the Rooks ENY restrictions would probably disappear quite quickly ... so a by-product would probably result in the ENY formula not being implemented so often or for long periods of time.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2006, 12:40:28 PM »
Originally posted by DadRabit
would be nice.  as long as we could add a pop-up blocker too    :D

:aok :D
Democracy is two wolves deciding on what to eat. Freedom is a well armed sheep protesting the vote.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2006, 12:43:59 PM »
Originally posted by Jackal1
:aok :D

Only a chigga-flicker would find that funny ...  :p
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2006, 12:48:37 PM »
SlapShot:

My thoughts.

I would change one thing, I wouldn't do it only at max, but wrather anytime ENY is 5 or above.

Im fairly certain the idea would work to maintain balanced sides.

It is also more restrictive than the current system.

Im fairly sure even more would complain about it vs the current system.

One thing to rember about the ENY system.

If you rember when it was implemented, it took a while for things to balance out, I view it as a wave dampener, with the change we did last week we threw one big rock in a pool,and waves are bouncing back and forth from the sides,it is going to take a while for the waves to disipate.

I.E. Im not realy sure anything needs to change yet, just need to wait for the waves to become very small riples.

HiTech
HiTech

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2006, 01:01:09 PM »
Applying the logic to ENY and/or MAX ... wouldn't that make it more restrictive ?

No need to apply it to ENY. Giving people the choice to join the less populated countries would, by default, fix the ENY as numbers approached "balance".

Why would this be more restrictive ? ... One of the goals is to surpass the MAX parameter that is currently being used, which is what I have seen/hear from alot of the posts that I have read is a restriction causing much angst ... lots want into the LW arena, but are being refused because MAX has been reached ... with this, MAX can be surpassed dynamically, as long as balance (within a +/-) is maintained ... which is less restrictive I would think ... no ?

I understand the concept of the big rock in the pond thing ... as I too develop a software product and have thrown quite a few rocks too.

I didn't spend hours thinking about it ... it just hit me and considering whats going on at the moment I briefly fleshed it out as I wrote it (just like writing coad).

Maybe as the waves decrease in size, it might not be appropriate ... just trying to help.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Offline DaPup

• Copper Member
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2006, 01:59:03 PM »
Yes, my only problem with the change has been the fact that when I am on LW is normally full so no choice is really available to me. I also don't care what side I am flying on or my squaddies (alot of people do) but I would have no problems joining the lower numbered side to help balance it out as long as I could get into the arena that I like.

I also agree with you HiTech that it might be best to let the "ripples" die down some before new changes are made lol.

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2006, 02:06:38 PM »
I can see where both HT and slap are coming from.. there needs to be some balance and it needs to be some combo of carrot/stick.

reward good behavior (change sides for balance) and punish bad (mega squad with no changing countries internal rules).

lazs
Public Relations Officer for the BK's

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2006, 02:42:30 PM »
Originally posted by lazs2
I can see where both HT and slap are coming from.. there needs to be some balance and it needs to be some combo of carrot/stick.

reward good behavior (change sides for balance) and punish bad (mega squad with no changing countries internal rules).

lazs
Public Relations Officer for the BK's

The idea stemmed from the angst of a hard-coded arena MAX. Current solution is when an arena is MAXed out ... another arena for the same type is created ... which usually is not populated enough to have fun (from what I have read)

So ... If I wanted to go the the EW Arena (or any arena) and the MAX had been reached and I couldn't get in ... I would be pissed and I think you might too ... but I would then maybe try another arena ... or log.

This idea allows the MAX to be dynamic ... as long as those joining the arena are will to participate in balancing the arena (carrot/stick) ... if needed. If balance is maintained within a + or - range ... then people would not need to choose ... they would enter the country they last flew for and the population would still be able to increase.

Also, if the balance in an arena is skewed ... a free by-product of this idea will also help eliminate (if active) any ENY restrictions by people joining the lesser populated countries.
SlapShot - Blue Knights