Author Topic: Wishful thinking....my idea on the game  (Read 2215 times)

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
Wishful thinking....my idea on the game
« on: September 26, 2006, 03:12:13 PM »
It's what one does while mowing the lawn and thinking about nothing.  It's just another variation on ideas thrown out before I believe.  The map is rough and not to scale but I think it will help illustrate the plan.

-Red fields are capturable and have fighters/medium bombers and VH.
-Yellow fields have all enabled exept jets and are the heavy bomber bases
-Purple are jet enabled bases
-the N on the map represents neutral fields.
-270 person cap in the arena.  90 person cap on each country

For the 'win the reset" crowd.  Your job is to capture and hold the center isle fields and the other two N fields on your country's coast.  Gotta hold all three to win the reset.  Rolling the map via undefended bases isn't an issue but you've gotta work to take and hold the 3 Ns, in particular the center Isle as all three countries are after it.

There are tank corridors shown for the GV crowd.  It would lead to some hopefully wide open "Kursk" style tank warfare and allows for the tankers to 'flank' the other guys capturable fields if they want to.

The heavy bomber guys in this scenario at least have to up further back and fly it hopefully a bit more realistically.  Personally I'd do away with the 3 plane formations too and make it so if you want to run a mission you need more folks to do it.   Deep in 'enemy' territory would be strat fuel and supply targets as well as country wide dar for the heavies to go after.  Obviously with jet fields protecting them, the bombers would have more of a challenge

I'd have local dar too that can be knocked out to create blind corridors for fighters etc.  I kept thinking about the set up during the B of B with the chain of radars on the coast.

Hopefully there'd be enough water for carriers and PT spawns too.

For the fighter/furballers there would be enough close fields, plus this, at least theoretically would funnel the fights to certain places on the map.  I would like to believe the N fields would be constantly contested, in particular the center isle where you'd get everyone there.

Yeah I know it's goofy, but it seems like to please both the guys who like to 'win the war' and the guys who like to fly and fight, we need to funnel them into the same hot spots to have it out.

rip away :)
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2006, 03:41:52 PM »
Guppy could you please add some 25 mile grid lines for a sense of scale?

HiTech

Offline Hap

• Gold Member
Re: Wishful thinking....my idea on the game
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2006, 03:52:39 PM »
Originally posted by Guppy35
For the 'win the reset" crowd.  Your job is to capture and hold the center isle fields and the other two N fields on your country's coast.  Gotta hold all three to win the reset.  Rolling the map via undefended bases isn't an issue; but you've gotta work to take and hold the 3 N's.  In particular, the center Isle as all three countries are after it.

Guppy, I'm gnawing on your reset rules.  I'm having trouble seeing "and the other two N field on your country's coast."  I'm so dense.

for your substantive suggestion.

hap

Offline ridley1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2006, 04:07:07 PM »
so, you'd have to hold 3 of the 4 'N' islands?

How many fields per island?

Good work. I like it .The Idea has merit.

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2006, 04:10:43 PM »
Originally posted by hitech
Guppy could you please add some 25 mile grid lines for a sense of scale?

HiTech

To be honest I hadn't thought that far, as I just wanted to put the idea out there.  The included is a best guess.  Math was never my subject :)
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2006, 04:15:35 PM »
Originally posted by ridley1

The key in my mind is somehow funneling the fights to each other.

Say the Knits are the top left country.  They'd need to hold the center island, the  N field to their south and to their east.

With the capturable fields on each side of the river, it does offer the potential to build a buffer between the N field and the other guys.  

But as I see it, to take and hold all three would take some serious effort and a serious cap.  I don't see how you could horde this way as if you horde one, you'll probably lose another.

And lets face it, should the Knits, for example hold the N between them and the Rooks, and the N between them and the Bish,  both those countries are going to have reason to go after it, and probably both would be hard at it to stop the taking of the center isle.

And how often to you have to fight both sides in one spot these days.  I know it happens once in a while, but that center isle fight could be a real brawl.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2006, 04:16:20 PM »
Originally posted by ridley1

Almost forgot.  I think 1 field on the N's between the countries and 2 on the one in the center.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2006, 04:21:10 PM »
Interesting idea Guppy.... I can see some real brawls developing on that map.  Can't wait to see what some of the old timers have to say about it :aok I just hope everybody keeps it civil and constructive.  
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline Charon

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2006, 04:24:50 PM »
That's getting close to the "central/neutrals" concept that made AW (pre gamestorm) so much fun, IMO. The war goes on, but action is concentrated with little room to milkrun. 3-country furballs as a common event.

The issue with AW (and why it was changed with Gamestorm) was the AW servers couldn't handle that much concentration, with the big numbers playing at that time, before they choked.

Even better would be winning the war based on the time those central bases were held during a month :)

[edit: This is the only type of setup that gets me interested in the "strat" (actually localized tactical ops passed off as strat) game typically found in these sims. And I'm a big strat guy otherwise. I virtually stopped being a flight sim strat player during gamestom-era AW and then in AH because there seemed to be no real point to taking some nondescript base in the middle of a huge map that may not impact gameplay until a reset two days later when I'm not even online. Again, just my individual perspective as a "what can I do while I'm on today for whichever country I'm flying for today" type of player.]

Charon
« Last Edit: September 26, 2006, 04:38:02 PM by Charon »

Offline Schutt

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2006, 04:28:57 PM »
Make that 3 fields in center.

Offline BigR

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2006, 04:31:47 PM »
i really like this idea a lot.

Offline MOIL

• Silver Member
      • http://www.ltar.org
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2006, 06:59:44 PM »
I think you're onto something here:aok

Offline scot12b

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2006, 07:10:19 PM »
Old timer:noid Ya thats  Dan in a nut shell:aok :aok

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2006, 07:47:04 PM »
What's the name of that water body?  "Klingon BattleCruiser Pond" ? :p

Offline J_A_B

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2006, 08:00:10 PM »
Given the sheer size of the AH sectors (25 miles), I'd say the bases are too far apart.  If built to a smaller scale, that sort of map and ruleset has a lot of potential.  Charon compared that to an AW map (and I believe Dan may have been inspired somewhat by AW), but keep in mind AW sectors were only about 12 miles across.

With the advent in AH2 of multiple arenas with smaller player populations and (in some) much slower aircraft, the use of smaller distances between airfields is as important as ever.

I'm aware that the image posted is a "concept" image; in a production arena I'd also expect to see some differentiation between country coastlines and such so they don't look quite so obviously mirrored.

I also liked the idea of placing three N fields in the central section instead of one.

J_A_B