Author Topic: Best Plane?  (Read 3812 times)

Offline 2bighorn

• Gold Member
Best Plane?
« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2006, 01:29:29 AM »
Originally posted by Ball
Actually, it is not a shade and i have been freely admitting it is me when asked - this is not a new account it is just my normal one renamed. Since yesterday i have even put it in my squad name to save any confusion.

LOL at least you could add an S to your ID. You'd be twice of what  you're now ;)

Offline Nightshift82

• Nickel Member
Best Plane?
« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2006, 08:38:08 AM »
Originally posted by Schatzi
I started to learn this game in a Spitfire Mk5 ;).

me too :aok
Night5  
First tour: 55  (If anyone cares.......)

Offline Condor

• Nickel Member
Best Plane?
« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2006, 10:53:25 AM »
No one has mentioned the Ki-84.  I chose it as my starter plane from several recommended by a friend and after reading Soda's writeups.  I can't say I'm doing well in it but I attrtribute that more to my lack of skill than to the airplane.  It doesn't seem to be hard to fly and manuever but then the only others I've flown in AH are the 109F and the Tempest and I found both harder to fly.  

Did I make a bad choice?  

I have found it tends to shed critical parts in high speed dives but usually not below 475-500mph.
Balrog in game. Some day my performance may justify the name. LOL

Offline Sweet2th

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
Best Plane?
« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2006, 11:00:25 AM »
Spitfire MkV is and always will be the best starter plane.

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.slowcat.de
Best Plane?
« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2006, 11:00:36 AM »
Originally posted by Condor

Did I make a bad choice?  

[/b]

No.

I have found it tends to shed critical parts in high speed dives but usually not below 475-500mph. [/B]

That is one of the reasons i usually dont recommend it. The others are rather crappy guns, bad high speed handling (ie throttle work required!) and it isnt very durable when shot at (catches fire easily). Also, to turn well, the Ki needs working the flaps.

It however does turn well (low speed + flaps) and is very good in the vertical. Well flown its among the most dangerous planes in the set.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2006, 11:03:29 AM by Schatzi »
21 is only half the truth.

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
Best Plane?
« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2006, 11:02:39 AM »
Originally posted by Sweet2th
Spitfire MkV is and always will be the best starter plane.

I agree as in it is the best handling Spit of the bunch. I usually forgo it in recomendation because of its now reduced boost and mainly the low ammo load - with a low hit% its hard to get more then one kill with it.

Offline Sweet2th

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
Best Plane?
« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2006, 11:04:48 AM »
with a low hit% its hard to get more then one kill with it.

it's not about the kills, it's about learning to get kills.

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
Best Plane?
« Reply #37 on: October 03, 2006, 11:35:32 AM »
Originally posted by Schatzi
That is one of the reasons i usually dont recommend it. The others are rather crappy guns, bad high speed handling (ie throttle work required!) and it isnt very durable when shot at (catches fire easily). Also, to turn well, the Ki needs working the flaps.

It however does turn well (low speed + flaps) and is very good in the vertical. Well flown its among the most dangerous planes in the set.

All true (although the guns really aren't that bad....except when compared to Hizookas).  Note that Widewing first found that it is very important NOT to use combat trim in the Ki84, and this can make it even more difficult for a new player to use.

That said, I'm convinced that the Ki84 is the best close-in dogfighter in the game.

- oldman

Offline Condor

• Nickel Member
Best Plane?
« Reply #38 on: October 03, 2006, 11:39:46 AM »
Schatzi,

I knew more or less how you would respond since you have encouraged me before.  I didn't realize the guns were crappy or that flaps use was so critical.  That's kind of limiting since thety can't be deployed much above 160mph.  

I was hoping to get some other input but this thread is becoming a discussion of which Spit is best.  Of course, maybe that is all the input I need.  Perhaps I should have started with a Spit.  

I think I'll stick with the Ki for now.   I'm getting kind of attached to it.  Besides it and I have a common trait.  I also tend to fall apart under extreme stress.:)  Besides, the Spits have that funny trun and bank indicator.

What I really wanted to fly was the La-7 but that gets booed every time it's mentioned.  It was one of my favorite WWII fighters long before I joined the sim world and I found it fairly easy to fly in my brief experience with IL-2.  In spite of it's rep I got shot down a lot in it too.  I've just gotta learn to fly.:)

Offline Condor

• Nickel Member
Best Plane?
« Reply #39 on: October 03, 2006, 11:44:56 AM »
Oldman,  

Thanks for the tip on the combat trim.  I use it all the time. I thought that was the best way to start out.  I'll have to try not using it. Does anyone else have tips on how to get the most out ofthe Ki-84?

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
Best Plane?
« Reply #40 on: October 03, 2006, 12:00:28 PM »

Sometimes its also about not getting frustrated.... :)

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
Best Plane?
« Reply #41 on: October 03, 2006, 12:09:16 PM »
Condor:

Keep using combat trim for now. You have much more other stuff to worry about for now.... combat trim vs manual isnt going to make a difference for you (yet). Basic maneuvers, speed/Energy management and timing are a lot more important.

The La is much like the Ki IMHO. A great performer, but not very easy to fly well. Sure, you can HO-n-run in the LA, even get kills and/or rank that way... but thats not what i mean. If you ever have run across guys like Shane or HARR flying the La, youll know what i mean. In the La7, even more then the Ki, throttle work is critical, also flaps. Then its a beast in a close up stallfight, that can use its superior accelleration whenever it wishes to.

Offline Sweet2th

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
Best Plane?
« Reply #42 on: October 03, 2006, 12:20:47 PM »
Sometimes its also about not getting frustrated...

The spit v is the easiest plane to fly and the easiest plane to learn AcM in.

Most new pilots don't understand technical jargon and do not wanna understand it.They just want the eastiest plane to learn in which since AH-1 has to be the Spit MKv.

I was hoping to get some other input but this thread is becoming a discussion of which Spit is best.

I thought it was a thread about which is the best learning plane.Next to a spit v it would be an A6m-2.

Keep using combat trim for now. You have much more other stuff to worry about for now.... combat trim vs manual isnt going to make a difference for you

Learning manual trim from the beginning helps the new cadet accelerate in his or her learning ability.Anyone who disagree's only does so because then the Cadet  will not b as easy to kill and getting kills and wtg's for those kills is what it's all about to some.

Every Cadet i have helped set up trim control and showed the usage of has accelerated in learning faster than normal.Tr1gg is a perfect example of this.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2006, 12:23:46 PM by Sweet2th »

Offline Ball

• Silver Member
Best Plane?
« Reply #43 on: October 03, 2006, 12:38:58 PM »

First you get ze keelz... zen you get ze respect... zen you get ze vimen!

Offline Sweet2th

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
Best Plane?
« Reply #44 on: October 03, 2006, 01:03:43 PM »
zen you get ze respect

in a video game......o......k then

First you get ze keelz

Not always.If a cadet wants to learn to b a good fighter in aces high, one should fly all the fighters on the list in the hanger starting with the A6m-2.Fly each plane for a week or 2 weeks, at the end of that time frame you will know the psitives and negatives of that aircraft.After that plane work your way down the list.By the time you get done flying the Yak-9u you will have a way broader outlook and know how to approach, set up, and fight every fighter you encounter.

All the Acm moves are the same, it's just that each fighter does those moves differently than the others, some better than others.