Author Topic: France to ban Public smoking?  (Read 1364 times)

Offline Samiam

• Nickel Member
France to ban Public smoking?
« Reply #60 on: October 05, 2006, 09:16:58 AM »
Originally posted by lukster
When you enter another's private property you do so on privilege, not right.

Privilege of the owner, not the government. If the owner says no smoking or leave, no problem.

If the owner says, "folks in here are smoking, take it or leave it," I don't get to use the government as a club to force the owner to make things how I want them.

Offline lukster

• Gold Member
« Reply #61 on: October 05, 2006, 09:29:56 AM »
It's all a matter of degree. You have the government protected right to not be physically assaulted when you enter a private business provided you behave yourself. Some claim that cigarette smoke is a physical assault.

I hate cigarette smoke but think it should be left to the establishment to allow or disallow it.

Offline Samiam

• Nickel Member
« Reply #62 on: October 05, 2006, 10:54:20 AM »
Originally posted by lukster
It's all a matter of degree. You have the government protected right to not be physically assaulted when you enter a private business provided you behave yourself. Some claim that cigarette smoke is a physical assault.

I hate cigarette smoke but think it should be left to the establishment to allow or disallow it.

Well, here's where my credibility goes out window, because I think if a restraunt owner puts a sign on the door that says:

Enter at will. Be advised that in order to eat here you need to take a punch on the nose from our chef, verbal abuse from the wait staff, and be spit upon by our maitre d'.

Then you should have the right to go in and get assulted, and you should have no expectation of not being assulted if you go in - nor should you be able to go whine to the government about it. If there's a market for such a restraunt, why shouldn't it be allowed?

But again, I'm just a complete whacko who strongly believes in limited government and individual freedoms.

storch

« Reply #63 on: October 05, 2006, 11:46:32 AM »
shouldn't that be spat upon?

Offline Mustaine

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #64 on: October 05, 2006, 01:04:07 PM »
Originally posted by Vulcan
I disagree with you entirely skuzzy.

As I kid I suffered from bad asthma. Smoking would trigger or inflame it.

In this good'old'days restaurants, cafes, whatever usually had "no smoking" areas which were clearly defined. Did that stop smokers? No. Smokers would either ignore the signs, move the signs out of view, and ignore requests to stop smoking. Many business owners would simply shrug rather than have a confrontation with a customer.

So, as a victim of a-hole smokers in the past I now relish the rules being imposed on them. Once again, it is KARMA. Smokers failed to respect the rights and requests of others so now non-smokers are the majority we're getting payback.
karma huh?

i didn't do jack **** to you, your family, or any asthmatic, and didn't start smoking until 1992 myself. i chose to smoke as a 19 year old adult because i could not buy booze. ironic huh? all I wanted was a buzz at the dance club to feel loose.

now people like you want to "punish" me and say it is karma or whatever horse **** reason you want.

I can't wait until they outlaw sugar or something like that... and all you nanny non-smoking sweet eating people whine and whine. the health costs of the overweight people must be stopped, so the govenrment will take over and take away the "bad" thing regulating what you can and can not have at a privately owned business. then I can say "karma" back atcha.

all this all is is the same people for prohibition re-incarnated and re-living the past. we all know how that turned out.
Genetically engineered in a lab, and raised by wolverines -- ]V[ E G A D E T ]-[
AoM DFC ZLA BMF and a bunch of other acronyms.

Offline Samiam

• Nickel Member
« Reply #65 on: October 05, 2006, 02:38:46 PM »
Originally posted by storch
shouldn't that be spat upon?

Now we're expecting restraunt owners to always use correct verb forms?!? Let's pass a law requiring it! :D

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #66 on: October 05, 2006, 03:48:08 PM »
Originally posted by Mustaine
now people like you want to "punish" me and say it is karma or whatever horse **** reason you want.

Yup.... suffer social outcast muahahahahahahhahahaha!

Offline Dago

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #67 on: October 05, 2006, 03:50:50 PM »
All your bars and restaurants are belong to us now!
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #68 on: October 06, 2006, 09:07:31 AM »
vulcan... I don't smoke... don't like anything about it.

Why do you want to "punish" me by giving government power over private business?

lazs

Offline x0847Marine

• Silver Member
« Reply #69 on: October 06, 2006, 09:36:30 AM »
Originally posted by Dago
Farting seems to bother my wife too, can't figure it out myself, but it means peace and quiet.  :D

It only bothers my wife when I give her a "Dutch oven".

France should get smart and outlaw being French in public.