Author Topic: Wtf  (Read 2647 times)

Offline Rolex

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
Wtf
« Reply #45 on: October 08, 2006, 10:36:47 AM »
Originally posted by SELECTOR
so what is singular of japanese?
i think all this political correctness has gone too far, im english and i don't get all gay when someone calles me a brit.
 can i say bollocks?

The singular is "Japanese."

I think the difference is that "brit" is neither used, nor defined in any dictionary as disparaging and offensive slang. The other is used and defined in every dictionary as disparaging and offensive slang.

Offline E25280

• Gold Member
      • http://125thspartanforums.com
Wtf
« Reply #46 on: October 08, 2006, 11:36:56 AM »
Originally posted by SELECTOR
so what is singular of japanese?
i think all this political correctness has gone too far, im english and i don't get all gay when someone calles me a brit.
 can i say bollocks?
One thing for sure . . . Singular for American is not Am.  Singular of German is not Ger.  Singular of Italian is not It.  Singular of Malaysian is not Mal.  Singular of Candadian is not Can.  Singular of Spanish is not Span.  Etc Etc.  So to assume the correct singular of Japanese is *** is kinda all gay in and of itself imo.
Brauno in a past life, followed by LTARget
SWtarget in current incarnation
Captain and Communications Officer~125th Spartans

"Proudly drawing fire so that my brothers may pass unharmed."

Offline Overlag

• Gold Member
Wtf
« Reply #47 on: October 08, 2006, 06:41:38 PM »
i dont understand what the big fuss about the short version of japanese is about either.

we can use yank, limey etc.... so whats wrong with J**? its just a shorter "txt" speak
Adam Webb - 71st (Eagle) Squadron RAF Wing B
This post has a Krusty rating of 37

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
Wtf
« Reply #48 on: October 08, 2006, 07:25:05 PM »
Originally posted by Overlag
i dont understand what the big fuss about the short version of japanese is about either.

we can use yank, limey etc.... so whats wrong with J**? its just a shorter "txt" speak

I think you must be very young.

- oldman

Offline Rolex

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
Wtf
« Reply #49 on: October 08, 2006, 11:08:03 PM »
Originally posted by Overlag

What do you not understand about the post 2 above yours? That is about as simple as it can be explained.

Here's something even shorter for you: JP. It's accepted and used around the world and saves you 33.3% in typing.

Maybe HTC is trying to improve gameplay for you. I don't think you would complain about that, would you? Those who play in off-peak US time (including you, I believe) wrote they were disappointed about not having enough people on line.

Japan dwarfs England, Australia, New Zealand, Canada in sheer numbers of people, a historical connection and has more disposable income than all combined, yet there are only a handful of Japanese players - none of whom has ever (as far as I know), in the history of Aces High, created any trouble, called anyone names, trolled for arguments, been warned, muted, or banned on vox, text channels, or on the BBS.

One of the 3 main reasons for the lack of JP customers is the thick-headedness of people who continually throw offensive slang at them on vox, text and the BBS like monkey poop.

Offline BlauK

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.virtualpilots.fi/LLv34/
Wtf
« Reply #50 on: October 09, 2006, 06:23:05 AM »
I suppose one has to be either japanese, american or old (like someone mentioned) to immediately see some underlying racist or rude meaning in this particular 3-letter word.

For myself it (fortunately? unfortunately?) does not carry any any deeper meaning than Ami, Brit, Swede, Finn, etc...

So, could someone please educate us ignorant foreigners... why is it a rude or racist word?

----

Just to add little something about exessive political correctness...
There are some immigrant kids in my kids' kindergarten. Nowadays the parents' night's discussions include things like can we have Christmas parties, can the Santa visit, can there even be pictures of Christmas fairies on the walls... just so that these immigrants from other cultures and religions would not get offended :(

BlauKreuz - Lentolaivue 34      

Offline 1895

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
      • http://raf315.org
Wtf
« Reply #51 on: October 09, 2006, 08:19:33 AM »
See Rule #7
« Last Edit: October 09, 2006, 09:04:09 AM by Skuzzy »

Offline E25280

• Gold Member
Wtf
« Reply #52 on: October 09, 2006, 11:19:58 AM »
Originally posted by BlauK
I suppose one has to be either japanese, . . . .
IMO, this part of your post is the only thing you have to think about.  ANY word is given meaning both by the person who utters it and the person who hears it.  The person who utters it may mean no offense, but the person who hears it may take offense nonetheless.

So, it is a matter of courtesy.  If someone tells me "blue" is an offensive word, I will refrain from using that word in his presence, as a matter of courtesy.

I personally never gave the word much thought either, because to me it isn't a derogatory term.  But to someone else on these boards, it is offensive.  So, out of courtesy, I will not use it going forward.

Offline BlauK

• Platinum Member
Wtf
« Reply #53 on: October 09, 2006, 11:32:10 AM »
hmm... nope. That is too simple and too authoritative.... "That is all u kids need to know now!"

If I e.g. told u that that your bbs name and call signs are offensive to me, wouldn't you at least want to know why? Or would you just gladly change them in order not to offend me?

Surely there are reasons behind all rules. It just makes it a lot easier to obey the rules if the reasons are understood.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2006, 11:34:35 AM by BlauK »

Offline Kuhn

• Silver Member
      • Canvasman
Wtf
« Reply #54 on: October 09, 2006, 11:38:58 AM »
I'm a Fin. Use it how you like:D
325th Checkertails

Offline Rolex

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
Wtf
« Reply #55 on: October 09, 2006, 11:54:37 AM »
One difference between BBS discussions and real-life conversations is that among the people I associate with, we say things like, "I didn't realize that," or, "Yeah, I see what you mean now," or, "I hadn't thought about it like that. Thanks for pointing it out," or, "Well, you learn something new every day."

Offline acetnt367th

• Copper Member
Wtf
« Reply #56 on: October 09, 2006, 12:08:07 PM »
So, could someone please educate us ignorant foreigners... why is it a rude or racist word?

Whats the big deal. I am a foreigner as well, if I know someone is offended by a word I will not use it. Surely there are some words / comments that you are offended by. You wouldn't like people calling you or your children by those words.

This aint free speech. This is about being courteous and treating people with respect.

Regards

Acetnt

Offline BlauK

• Platinum Member
Wtf
« Reply #57 on: October 09, 2006, 12:18:48 PM »
Originally posted by acetnt367th
Surely there are some words / comments that you are offended by. You wouldn't like people calling you or your children by those words.

Surely there are, even often on this board, but then I would try to explain to someone why his words are offending.
However, most often I would look at the context, the tone and the big picture, to estimate whether the person means to offend or whether it would just be my own imagination or interpretation.

That is something a simple word filter cannot do, and I am NOT opposed to using a word filter. I am simply asking why this particular word is offensive. Maybe the most educative answer could come from a japanese person.

You know, I want to have the Santa Claus in my culture...

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Wtf
« Reply #58 on: October 09, 2006, 12:48:22 PM »
Originally posted by E25280
So, it is a matter of courtesy.  If someone tells me "blue" is an offensive word, I will refrain from using that word in his presence, as a matter of courtesy.

What if the belief that the word "blue" is offensive is faulty, outdated, and/or irrational? What if the word blue just means blue?

I'm not entirely sold on the point of view that the meaning lies entirely on the recipient's side. A big portion of it is the intended meaning on the speaker's point of view.

Just more fodder for the debate.

Offline E25280

• Gold Member
Wtf
« Reply #59 on: October 09, 2006, 12:50:35 PM »
hmm... nope. That is too simple and too authoritative.... "That is all u kids need to know now!"

If I e.g. told u that that your bbs name and call signs are offensive to me, wouldn't you at least want to know why? Or would you just gladly change them in order not to offend me?

Surely there are reasons behind all rules. It just makes it a lot easier to obey the rules if the reasons are understood.
Sorry, I guess I took your question rhetorically rather than literally.

I can't speak from the Japanese point of view.  And like I said, until recently I never thought about it much myself.

But then, if you go back and look at the recruiting posters and media characterizations of the Japanese back in WW2, (usually with glasses, barely open eyes, buck teeth, stupid expressions, etc.) and that the word "****" was always used in them instead of Japanese, I can see how the word and the characterization are very hard to separate for some.

Best straight answer I can give.