Author Topic: Wtf  (Read 2665 times)

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
Wtf
« Reply #60 on: October 09, 2006, 12:55:11 PM »
Man ... this is like arguing religion ... there is no winner.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline E25280

• Gold Member
      • http://125thspartanforums.com
Wtf
« Reply #61 on: October 09, 2006, 01:00:15 PM »
Originally posted by Krusty
What if the belief that the word "blue" is offensive is faulty, outdated, and/or irrational? What if the word blue just means blue?

I'm not entirely sold on the point of view that the meaning lies entirely on the recipient's side. A big portion of it is the intended meaning on the speaker's point of view.

Just more fodder for the debate.
I won't argue that it can't be taken to an extreme.  In college we got so sick of it we started coming up with all sorts of "politically correct" terms for everyday items as a parody, to illustrate how far out of hand things had become.  (My favorite was the "portal access apparatus" instead of doorknob, since doorknob could potentially be used derrisively, but I digress.)

I also won't argue that in some cases, words that should be just fine are unfairly deemed inappropriate (like the Exxon? "*****rdly increase" case a few years back).

In this particular case, though, I can see the point as stated in my response to Blauk above.

Brauno in a past life, followed by LTARget
SWtarget in current incarnation
Captain and Communications Officer~125th Spartans

"Proudly drawing fire so that my brothers may pass unharmed."

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Wtf
« Reply #62 on: October 09, 2006, 01:15:06 PM »
I do remember the comment made, back then. It's a word in the dictionary, and because it has part of a word that is derogatory to black people, everybody jumped on the guy's back. I respect folks with a large vocabulary. Would I have used that particular word? No.

However, the same word is tossed around as a greeting, as a friendly saying by many black people. That, in and of itself, lessens the "slur" aspect of the word.

Then again, with the word for today in question (short for Japanese), it was a short word used as an invective during a time of high tension and anger (we were attacked and it was war). The word, while spoken with hatred, does not itself become a slur. The stereotypes mentioned (buckteeth, etc) are those used to describe the culture, sure, but mostly propoganda. Rather than see the word as a slur, folks ought to see it as a reflection of the hatred of Japanese at the time of 1941.

I know for a fact we're past that point. We incorporate parts of Japanese culture into our lives almost every day, and they do the same to ours. We clearly (as a culture) do not hate the Japanese, and as a culture they don't hate us.

I'm of the firm belief that the word itself isn't a slur. Saying "***" (starred out I bet) has no harm in it. Saying "*** go hom" would be very bad, but that's not the word, but the intolerance to people and the unjust indication that they are not allowed in [fill in the blank town].

Saying "*** go home" is like saying "brits go home". It's the rest of the phrase that holds the negative. It's the rest of the tone, the way its said, etc. The 3-letter word is not the culprit, the entire package is.

Offline BlauK

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.virtualpilots.fi/LLv34/
Wtf
« Reply #63 on: October 09, 2006, 01:22:02 PM »
Originally posted by E25280
But then, if you go back and look at the recruiting posters and media characterizations of the Japanese back in WW2, (usually with glasses, barely open eyes, buck teeth, stupid expressions, etc.) and that the word "****" was always used in them instead of Japanese, I can see how the word and the characterization are very hard to separate for some.

Best straight answer I can give.

Thanx.. that sheds some light. Still I tend to think that just changing the word would not change how the japanese were/are viewed by the people who buy such stereotypes.

In Finnish common slang there is a word "japsi" or "japski", which is often used when talking about the origin of e.g. cars or other products, instead of the long correct word "japanilainen". Japsi could be used as a racist word with swear words attached to it, but in general it only refers to the longer word. That is why it feels confusing that its english equivalent is banned.

BlauKreuz - Lentolaivue 34      

Offline Kermit de frog

• Gold Member
      • LGM Films
Wtf
« Reply #64 on: October 09, 2006, 01:30:03 PM »
See RUle #5
« Last Edit: October 09, 2006, 02:31:07 PM by Skuzzy »
Time's fun when you're having flies.

Offline 1895

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
      • http://raf315.org
Wtf
« Reply #65 on: October 09, 2006, 02:00:12 PM »
Originally posted by Krypto
See Rule #7

Uh oh, Skuzzy hates me :'(

Offline JB88

• Plutonium Member
Wtf
« Reply #66 on: October 09, 2006, 02:06:12 PM »
may i still say "easy peasy japanesy?"

:confused:
this thread is doomed.
www.augustbach.com  

To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield. -Ulysses.

word.

Offline Overlag

• Gold Member
Wtf
« Reply #67 on: October 09, 2006, 03:02:48 PM »
Originally posted by Oldman731
I think you must be very young.

- oldman

whats age got to do about it? just because im not a old ******* it means ive not got a clue?

you must be very old then?

edit: oh and not many japanese play this for the exact same reason not many brits, germans, french/ anyone outside america. Advertising. Virtually no one knows about this game in the rest of the world.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2006, 03:13:03 PM by Overlag »
Adam Webb - 71st (Eagle) Squadron RAF Wing B
This post has a Krusty rating of 37

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
Wtf
« Reply #68 on: October 09, 2006, 03:51:51 PM »
Originally posted by Overlag

edit: oh and not many japanese play this for the exact same reason not many brits, germans, french/ anyone outside america. Advertising. Virtually no one knows about this game in the rest of the world.

If only there was some way to connect computers from around the world and let them share information. Just think, people interested in online flight simulators might be able to use some sort of search tool to find Aces High. People might even set up information sites to share information about flying and flight simulators. But I guess we'll have to wait until a worldwide network of computers is possible.

Until then we can work on making the arenas a friendly fun place to fly.

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.slowcat.de
Wtf
« Reply #69 on: October 09, 2006, 04:17:35 PM »
To be very honest, i find this discussion a rather sad one.

To me, a word doesnt have to be banned... or dissectec down to its origins and meanings, hidden or otherwise.

If someone says they are offended by it (no matter their reason), DONT USE IT!
21 is only half the truth.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
Wtf
« Reply #70 on: October 09, 2006, 04:40:43 PM »
just because im not a old ******* it means ive not got a clue?

I would say your posts speak for themselfs.

HiTech

Offline JB88

• Plutonium Member
Wtf
« Reply #71 on: October 09, 2006, 07:19:22 PM »
....----_-___----__-_-----____-------_-_-__-----____---->   tumbleweed...
this thread is doomed.
www.augustbach.com  

To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield. -Ulysses.

word.

Offline Overlag

• Gold Member
Wtf
« Reply #72 on: October 09, 2006, 07:51:25 PM »
Originally posted by hitech
I would say your posts speak for themselfs.

HiTech

whateve4r

wink, wink ;) ;)
Adam Webb - 71st (Eagle) Squadron RAF Wing B
This post has a Krusty rating of 37

Offline BlauK

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.virtualpilots.fi/LLv34/
Wtf
« Reply #73 on: October 09, 2006, 11:51:44 PM »
Originally posted by Schatzi
If someone says they are offended by it (no matter their reason), DONT USE IT!

Schatzi,

that would be just fine, but so far all I have gathered here is that someone believes that another one might be offended. To me (with my lacking knowledge of the subject) it seems like excessive, just in case, political correctness.

If I knew the reasons, I might change my opinion.
In addition to that, this seems to be a bit of WW2 related history, and therefore interesting :)

I, personally, am much more offended by people who substitute "german" with "nazi" or "soviet/russian" with "commie" in various occasions.

BlauKreuz - Lentolaivue 34      

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
Wtf
« Reply #74 on: October 10, 2006, 12:44:59 AM »
Originally posted by BlauK
For myself it (fortunately? unfortunately?) does not carry any any deeper meaning than Ami, Brit, Swede, Finn, etc...

I'm of the same opinion Blauk. I understood it not be offensive because one of our Japanese players stated as such. I guess maybe his opinion isnt in the majority. Live and learn.