Author Topic: Stutters and hesitaions  (Read 2744 times)

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
Stutters and hesitaions
« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2001, 01:59:00 PM »
Maverick,

Was having same prollem till today...know how ya feel.

Spoke with Pyro who suggested lowering frame rate to 45 & reinstalling vid card drivers. Did both; problem gone...for now anyway.

DMax

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
Stutters and hesitaions
« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2001, 11:14:00 AM »
Ok gents,

This is the latest installments of the search for good game play. I think I might have solved it on my system.

I did a couple of things in this last attempt.

First I looked at my vid card settings. After downloading the latest drivers some time ago I saw there was a new icon on the lower right corner of the screen. It was a hot button to the Voodoo 3 3000 3DFX tools subprogram. When I brought it up I saw there were several choices for screen resolution. Since 1024 X 768 is my comfortable resolution I selected that one again. Now the interesting thing is this is in the AGP listings. I also selected the 32Bpp setting which caused my screen to reset. The screen looked good so I set it. Yeah, I know AH won't run in 32 bit mode with a Voodoo and I didn't change my AH settings.

I tried to play AH and the stutters and nasty buzzing sound was gone.  Only on the first attempt to play. Later when I went back to te game it was the same. I did notice a little improvement.

The next thing I did was to follow Gunthr's advice on the msconfig settings in win98. I had been closing all my security / virus programs before trying to play AH. (ZoneAlarm and McAfee) I saw at times that a McAfee icon would pop up after I loaded and dropped out of AH even offline.

In msconfig I saw there were several subprograms for McAfee that DIDNOT show when I did the ctr alt del program check to shut things down. I unchecked ALL the security programs for startup and tried the game.

Now I tried offline and online. So far now more hesitations and stutters. This is a short test period but it looks promising.

I did another test. I reset the Voodoo back to the 16Bpp setting and the stutters came back but greatly reduced in severity. After resetting to 32Bpp they were gone again.

So far, on my system at least, this seems to have solved the problem. I hope it helps, expecially anyone who has a Voodoo 3 3000 AGP as I do.

Here are my system specs.

P3 500 Mhz - 128 megs RAM (133 I believe)

DX8.0a

Legend QDI mobo (BrillianX 1S) w/ Award Bios. IRQ set automatically by bios, PNP enabled, not by OS

Win 98 first version with SP2 installed. (BTW loading SP1 also was done about the same time the problems started up. The win security protocalls  MIGHT be working a conflict with McAfee and the voodo card.)

Voodoo 3 3000 APG 16 meg card w/ latest 3DFX drivers from factory authorized site.

Avance sound card with basic drivers (no synthesizer software installed, just SB16 emulator and game port)Drivers updated from Avance Logic site for win98.

Mav
PS please note I am playing a fresh install of AH without any DX8 beta.

[ 08-28-2001: Message edited by: Maverick ]
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Voss

• Silver Member
      • http://www.bombardieraerospace.com
Stutters and hesitaions
« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2001, 11:49:00 AM »
Thanks, Mav! With the desktop and the AH video set to 32-bit, I don't get stutter. I still haven't tested this with the DX8 build, but I like what I see so far.

:cool:

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
Stutters and hesitaions
« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2001, 05:45:00 PM »
Look for a proggie called enditall perhaps there is more running than you realize.

SKurj

Offline Syzygyone

• Silver Member
Stutters and hesitaions
« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2001, 02:02:00 PM »
Glad you got the fix figured out.  But, curiosity quesiton Mav.  Did you run DirectX diagnostics and testing?  With 7?>  How about with 8.  What were your rest results.  Any problems with hardware or softrware acceleration?

Very Curious about this

:confused:

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
Stutters and hesitaions
« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2001, 06:28:00 PM »
Well it looks like I was premature in thinking I had this problemn fixed. It's back and as bad if not worse than before.

Here is tha latest issue of problems. I had a total system, crash on Tuesday night. I spent Wedsnesday putting it all back together with a fresh format, fdisk and install of winblows. I had also done a fresh load of AH. Wednesday it ran fine. Today it is stutter city with that nasty buzzing sound back.

I have reinstalled zonealarm and mcafee. Both are off when I play AH. With a resource of 90% of my system available I still can't play this game.

I'm out of ideas and patience. At this point I see no reason to continue my subscription. I can't play online at all and offline play isn't an option. I haven't heard word one from HTC on this problem and don't have any more fediddleing ideas to try.

Mav
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline aac

• Copper Member
Stutters and hesitaions
« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2001, 11:35:00 PM »
I have found a solution to my stutters and freezing up.  Control, ALT, and Delete, look for Devldr16.exe....if it is there close it.  I have sent a message to creative labs to see why this is happening.  Since I closed it everything is smooth.  I tried to use msconfig and take it off of the start up but it just puts it back, soooo I just have to close it everytime.   HOPE THIS HELPS

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
Stutters and hesitaions
« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2001, 12:31:00 AM »
I may be being premature again. I think I found the problem.

It is McAfee antivirus. Even though you do a ctr alt del and close out all McAfee programs at least one stays up and running. Only solution is to use the msconfig system and keep it from coming up at bootup. I will run nekid and game goes fine in DX8 beta 11 and the regular version.

Anyone having stutters whith McAfee programs loaded on the computer, even if not runing may have the same problem. Drop them from the boot up when you go to play AH. There is a major conflict twixt AH and McAfee.

Mav
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
Author Unknown

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
Stutters and hesitaions
« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2001, 10:33:00 AM »
Mav.. look for Enditall, it may show things that ctrl-alt-del miss

SKurj

Offline Holder

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.constable.ca
Stutters and hesitaions
« Reply #39 on: August 31, 2001, 12:00:00 PM »
Well, SKurg helped me out with a similar problem. Severe stutters and only about 19 FPS. Unplayable game. He suggested vidcard settings, especially Vsync.

I'm running a 1.4 GHz Athlon on Win2k with a GForce 2 MX, 16Meg RAM and I leave ZA on but not McAfee and a DSL modem. Anything like this system should kick bellybutton in AH, I routinely get 80 FPS now.

The Solution: I took a hard look at all of my vidcard settings, turned on Vsync, etc and kept fiddling until it was working fine. Took about 10 min. Did the resolution reset too, it helped but not significantly. It was definately the vidcard settings.