Author Topic: Saw Flags of our fathers tonight.  (Read 2357 times)

Offline Halo

• Gold Member
Saw Flags of our fathers tonight.
« Reply #90 on: November 02, 2006, 10:02:06 PM »
Good movie, but disappointing in another cliche mood attempt by screwing with realistic color.  Ever see such a drab battle in the vivid Pacific theater?  Mostly muted browns and blues like Ektachrome 35mm slide film.

Granted, Iwo Jima was blasted to its core black and gray volcanic origin, but there is a lot more vivid blue and green in the Pacific.  And scarlet blood, not maroon.  Shooting through a dimming filter is not necessary.  

It's unfortunate when even directors as great as Clint Eastwood think they have to parrot the prevailing era photographic history by copying only black and white or sepia tones or quasi drabs when those mediums merely reflect what were mostly the best available at the time.

One exception:  horror films are always scariest in black and white so the imagination can run amok.  Green is too much a basic life color to be frightening even in big lizards and vomit.  For example, the original The Thing in b&w vs. its remake in color.

I'll give Saving Private Ryan and Guadelcanel extra credit for not doing the muted drab film filter.
Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity. (Seneca, 1st century AD, et al)
Practice random acts of kindness and senseless beauty. (Anne Herbert, 1982, Sausalito, CA)
Paramedic to Perkaholics Anonymous

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #91 on: November 03, 2006, 01:40:35 AM »
Look at the gallery here:
http://www.flagsofourfathers.net

There you see the real colour.
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline Debonair

• Gold Member
« Reply #92 on: November 03, 2006, 03:03:29 AM »
Originally posted by Halo
Good movie, but disappointing in another cliche mood attempt by screwing with realistic color.  Ever see such a drab battle in the vivid Pacific theater?  Mostly muted browns and blues like Ektachrome 35mm slide film.....

if the movie was shot on actual film, i'd have to bet they probably used whatever kodak is calling their E6 film these days.  its nice film, good tight grain.  
too bad WWII was fought in B&W and Kodachrome:huh :eek: :O :mad: :p :) :D :rofl

Offline Mightytboy

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
« Reply #93 on: November 03, 2006, 07:36:31 AM »
I didn't really like it.

The visuals were good but I didn't care for the time warps. To much like Pulp Fiction for my taste.

I almost walked out after 1 1/2.

Offline Halo

• Gold Member
« Reply #94 on: November 03, 2006, 07:26:35 PM »
I thought the FOUF warps were done pretty well, but then Pulp Fiction is one of my favorite movies, and it had just about the most challenging flashbacks and flashforwards I can recall.

Which brings a belated late comparison with Sands of Iwo Jima starring (who else?) John Wayne.  I don't remember anything about SOIJ except prettier color and Wayne's one-size-fits-all-scowl.  

If we keep making acronyms out of movie titles, someone's going to start a whole new thread on just that.  I bet the last thing done to any movie release is a check to make sure the acronym is not something embarrassing.  

Which ought to be a thread in itself ...
Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity. (Seneca, 1st century AD, et al)
Practice random acts of kindness and senseless beauty. (Anne Herbert, 1982, Sausalito, CA)
Paramedic to Perkaholics Anonymous

Offline Grayeagle

• Silver Member
« Reply #95 on: November 03, 2006, 09:20:30 PM »
Read the book, then saw the movie.

The movie did not disappoint at all.

Very good insight into the whole 'hero' concept.
Timing *is* everything.
Somehow I don't beleive the guys that actually raised the flag appreciated the iconic nature of the photo.. it touched so many on such different levels, while they were wrapped up in 'all we did was stick a pole in the ground'
..it truly became a symbol of Victory.

Loved the reaction to the truth of the matter by the white-house guy.
'What, you guys planted a flag every time you broke for lunch or what?'
(when it was pointed out to him the battle went on for over a month after that 'replacement' flag was stuck up on the hill)

-GE
'The better I shoot ..the less I have to manuever'
-GE