Author Topic: Saw Flags of our fathers tonight.  (Read 2358 times)

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
Saw Flags of our fathers tonight.
« Reply #45 on: October 21, 2006, 09:48:11 PM »
Originally posted by DREDIOCK
how did SPR go everboard with the emotional stuff?

Please tell me your not referring to the old man at the cemetary scenes

Yup I thought the end where Hanks says "earn this" summed the movie up pretty good and related it all together.  I can honestly say I was teary eyed when hanks said that.

Offline rogwar

• Silver Member
« Reply #46 on: October 21, 2006, 09:50:11 PM »
Thanks for the story Dred.

Ira Hayes drank himself to death trying to escape the pain.

Offline Debonair

• Gold Member
« Reply #47 on: October 22, 2006, 12:05:52 AM »
[SIZE=9].[/SIZE] [/B]

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #48 on: October 22, 2006, 12:56:04 AM »
Originally posted by Vudak
Difference of opinion Dred...  Not knocking the old man's acting...  The rest of the family, music, "tell me I've lived a good life" = hallmark in my eyes.

Maybe but perfectly accurate. Cept maybe the music
Its called survivors guilt

Something about Hallmark. Is it usually carries a ring of truth to it.
Thats why Hallmark is so good.
and I'd like to think that most families when they see a man who is obviously uset about something like that would rallly around him in that manner.

Wouldnt think much personally of the family that didnt

think about it. How would you feel if say. You were in my father in laws shoes and cept for a freakish twist of fate. Or because you were standing one place and two feet next to you someone else died instead of you

OR someone Gave up their life so that you could live.
Looking back at it in the twighlight of your life

Wouldnt you pause and think if you were worthy?
Wouldnt you always wonder what made you worthy enough to get to live your life, get married, have children when the other guy didnt?

Coulda been you but wasnt. What made you so special that you were allowed to have a life and he or they didnt?
Wouldnt you also wonder if you had lead your life good enough?

I think alot of vets who have witnissed this sort of thing feel alot the same way about it. Thats why you alwyas see thenm giving credit to the guys that didnt make it. The ones they left behind.

In closing I find myself thinking about an article I read after the release of SPR.
It was written by the wife of a man who had served and fought in WWII.
She wrote how they went to see the movie. And of the deafining silence of the ride home. And how she realised how he was reliving that time as looked over at him and saw tears as they flowed down his face.
She spoke of how she reached over and held his hand and said to him "I had no idea"
And his reply
"Welcome to my world"
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #49 on: October 22, 2006, 03:05:43 AM »
I know some vets, and I've seen that look so I agree with what you say Dred :(
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline Stoney74

• Silver Member
« Reply #50 on: October 22, 2006, 03:10:49 AM »
I was completely impressed with the scenery.  The view from on top of Suribachi was completely accurate.  The view down to Green beach was the same as the real one.  I had the privilege of re-enlisting my Gunny right where the raised the flag.  Hats off to the CGI guys, dang island looked exactly as it does--especially since they didn't film it there.

Offline Regular

• Nickel Member
« Reply #51 on: October 22, 2006, 09:28:24 AM »
I will see this movie today.

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #52 on: October 22, 2006, 11:28:32 AM »
Very good movie. I thought it might be a little confusing for some who aren't familiar with the story or haven't read the book. The flashbacks and flash forwards are interspersed without much introduction. However took my 13yr old step-grandson and he loved it.

I'm looking forward to the other film Clint shot.

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #53 on: October 22, 2006, 12:43:45 PM »
Originally posted by Stoney74
I was completely impressed with the scenery.  The view from on top of Suribachi was completely accurate.  The view down to Green beach was the same as the real one.  I had the privilege of re-enlisting my Gunny right where the raised the flag.  Hats off to the CGI guys, dang island looked exactly as it does--especially since they didn't film it there.

Hehe, I met Bradley on the set. He had then been to Iwo Jima 4 times. He claimed that even the veterans would not see the difference.
The beach was picked after a long search, and basically the geological side of those two islands is quite similar. The sand is black, there are lava rocks etc etc.
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline Irwink!

• Nickel Member
      • http://msn.com
« Reply #54 on: October 22, 2006, 02:14:04 PM »
Originally posted by ramzey
applaud?strange
i never saw people living cinema so quietly as yesterday

I saw Tora! Tora! Tora! when it premiered locally on New Year's Eve 1970. The entire audience stood up and cheered when the first Japanese plane went down. It was a different time. Back then WWII was closer than Vietnam is to us now.

My dad was on the light anti-aircraft cruiser Flint (CLA97) which supported the Iwo landing. My brother and I will take dad to see the movie this week. It's kind of a must-see for us. I doubt we'll be disappointed.

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #55 on: October 22, 2006, 02:36:37 PM »
Originally posted by Irwink!

My dad was on the light anti-aircraft cruiser Flint (CLA97) which supported the Iwo landing. My brother and I will take dad to see the movie this week. It's kind of a must-see for us. I doubt we'll be disappointed.

Cool. My father in law was on the light cruiser Pasadina(CL-65)
which also supported the landings.

Going to ask him if he wants to see it.
Never know with him. Some days hes ok with stuff like that. other days he's not.

Understandable.
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline megadud

• Gold Member
« Reply #56 on: October 22, 2006, 03:42:43 PM »
Originally posted by jigsaw
I haven't seen it yet and I can tell ya'll are all over looking the most obvious reason why Flags is undeniably better than SPR.

No Vin Diesel.

when you're right, you're right :lol

but SPR was the perfect war movie action/drama had a balances amount of each with great acting, and great directing. I might change my mind after i see Flags.

Top 5 war for me
SPR
Braveheart
Troy
  Don't know about the rest, havent seen all the war movies.

PS Vin Deisal pwned in Chronicles of Riddick! :aok

Offline jigsaw

• Silver Member
« Reply #57 on: October 22, 2006, 04:58:57 PM »
Originally posted by megadud
PS Vin Deisal pwned in Chronicles of Riddick! :aok

Pitch Black was good.  Chronicles could've been good except for them hosing it in the last 5 mins.  Strangely enough, the director's cut was worse than the theatrical release.

Just to keep on topic...  probably wont see Flags until it hits video. I'm officially anti-movie theater now.

Offline wes34th

• Copper Member
flags of our fathers
« Reply #58 on: October 22, 2006, 06:47:13 PM »
I am a marine veteran and a member of the american legion.I think Mr. Eastwood did a good job making this movie.In addition, I particularly liked the fact that he told the viewing audience about the two flag raisings.Obviously, FDR (Franklin D. Roosevelt) ordered the second flag raising picture to be used for the 7th bond drive.

Semper Fidelis (latin "Always Faithful")

wes34th

Offline RightF00T

• Silver Member
« Reply #59 on: October 22, 2006, 08:56:10 PM »