Author Topic: Your s***ing me...  (Read 3172 times)

Offline Reynolds

• Gold Member
      • http://flyingknights.csmsites.com
Your s***ing me...
« on: October 22, 2006, 01:20:28 AM »
Alright, my instructor is crazy. He already owns one of the highest performance, and rarest gliders in the world, the Fox, of which there are only 12 in the united states. Here are two pictures:

But that isnt enough for him. This november, he has purchased, and will affix two turbo-jet engines to the Fox above the wings. As it stands, this plane can do things no other can. Next to all aerobatic meets are won by a Fox (Assuming one is participating), and there is only ONE in hawaii. He does low passes at 175 miles an hour easy, does loops, hammerheads, anything a powered stunt plane can do, but now he is adding jets, to double, maybe TRIPLE the speed, and do even more insane stunts. Yes, this has been done before succesfully, but not with a Fox, with a lower perfomance plane, so I cannot wait to see how this handles. Because I am a good student of his, I will be getting a free flight in it in the november off-season once the engines have been attached. I will give you all pictures as soon as he is done. Until then, it remains on the flight line, the only one anything like it there.

Offline Benny Moore

• Silver Member
Your s***ing me...
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2006, 01:24:57 AM »
The F-15 so owns that thing, no matter how many engines you put on the glider!  So do a lot of old warbirds, and they don't even have jet engines.

Offline Raptor

• Platinum Member
Your s***ing me...
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2006, 01:31:07 AM »
Does he plan on having it towed in the air before engaging the jet engines? or does he plan to do what the U2 does and attach wheels to the outter tips of the wings to keep it balanced on the runway.

<--- not much of a glider expert

Offline Reynolds

• Gold Member
Your s***ing me...
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2006, 01:55:46 AM »
Originally posted by Raptor
Does he plan on having it towed in the air before engaging the jet engines? or does he plan to do what the U2 does and attach wheels to the outter tips of the wings to keep it balanced on the runway.

<--- not much of a glider expert

tow to 5,000, activate engines, release, engines at idle for the most part, but full during climbs, loops, hammerheads, low passes, and other maneuvers.

And benny, have you ever seen what a fox can do? Do you have any comcept of gliders at all for that matter? I have done things in gliders not NEARLY as high-end as that I would NEVER consider doing in a powered aircraft. Recounting some of the rolls and loops to my grandfather (Who WAS a World War Two test pilot for fighters, and thus KNOWS what they can and cant do, and has done them himself) HE was amazed at what these gliders can do. Now, in a flat out run, an F-15 would of COURSE win. A Warbird MIGHT, depending on whether the fox has just come out of a dive, and what warbird it is. Now, these arent incredibly powerful engines, but I venture to say, once they are added the Fox will outrun, any early war plane. You dont realise, this is an incredibly fast, incredibly maneuverable airplane. So, judging by your answer, you are blissfully ignorant and live in your own little world, and refuse to be edjucated. So please, keep your nose out of things so obviously beyond your grasp.

Offline MiloMorai

• Platinum Member
Your s***ing me...
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2006, 02:34:57 AM »
He does low passes at 175 miles an hour easy, does loops, hammerheads, anything a powered stunt plane can do, but now he is adding jets, to double, maybe TRIPLE the speed
You got to be dreaming, 350 to 525mph.:eek:

Even 2 J-85s in the new Me262s have to be restricted in power.

The Microturbo 022 Couguar or TRS-18 in a BD-5J only does around 300mph.

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
Your s***ing me...
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2006, 02:57:42 AM »
Hehe in a level flight at 450 mph this thing would probably break.
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline gripen

• Silver Member
Your s***ing me...
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2006, 03:23:38 AM »
The Vne of the MDM-1 Fox seem to be listed around 290km/h.

The Fox is an aerobatic sailplane and does it very well. But in the terms of pure gliding performance, there is much more effective planes.

gripen

Offline frank3

• Plutonium Member
Your s***ing me...
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2006, 07:20:25 AM »
Woa Reynolds, this thread should be at the wish list!

(at least it'd for me :D )

Offline AquaShrimp

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
Your s***ing me...
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2006, 10:01:00 AM »
I've seen a sailplane with two small jets on it.  Performance was ok, definately not stellar.

Offline Golfer

• Platinum Member
Your s***ing me...
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2006, 11:28:07 AM »
umm...

uhh...

ok...

I hope we're talking about tiny model airplane size jets.

Instead of wasting his money doing something dumb...he can send it to me and I'll make sure its much better spent.

are you sure he wasn't messing with you?  If you are unsure has anyone ever:

Sent you in search of a bucket of prop wash?
Required from you a yard of flight line?
Requested urgently a left handed monkey wrench?

If you answered yes to any of the questions on this simple quiz then there are not going to be any little jets stuck on that glider.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2006, 11:30:21 AM by Golfer »

Offline Wmaker

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 34 website
Your s***ing me...
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2006, 11:30:39 AM »
Reynolds, for the most part, it really seems that you don't know what you are talking about.

Fox is a really really nice aerobatic glider...the best in the world right now, that is true. But like it was already pointed out you don't seem to know the concept of Vne for example.

I truly wish I could get a ride in a Fox jets or not, there isn't one in Finland.

Been flying one in Condor, the best soaring sim available...

www.condorsoaring.com
« Last Edit: October 22, 2006, 11:36:54 AM by Wmaker »
Wmaker
Lentolaivue 34

Thank you for the Brewster HTC!

Offline frank3

• Plutonium Member
Your s***ing me...
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2006, 02:25:36 PM »
Originally posted by Golfer

That's hilarious :lol

Offline Viking

• Personal Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Your s***ing me...
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2006, 03:45:24 PM »
Give the kid a break you guys :)

Offline Reynolds

• Gold Member
Your s***ing me...
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2006, 06:06:55 PM »
Originally posted by Golfer
umm...

uhh...

ok...

I hope we're talking about tiny model airplane size jets.

Instead of wasting his money doing something dumb...he can send it to me and I'll make sure its much better spent.

If you answered yes to any of the questions on this simple quiz then there are not going to be any little jets stuck on that glider.

No, he really is serious. He has already bought them, they were, I THINK, a little over 5-grand each. I seriously think it is dumb, but nonetheless, I cantwait to see how it flies! Okay milo, triple speed is an exageration, and the 175 low passes are only VERY brief, and after a power-dive. And yes gripen, it doesnt have the best glide ratio, thats not its purpose. Its purpose is aerobatics, and the jets are there to augment THAT, not to make it fly... longer. And auqa, how did look when it used them? Hey Wmaker, I dont know terribly much about the fox in particular, I have actually never flown in it, simply because he cannot train me in it without it costing twice as much, so, the speeds are a combination of mostly what he has researched and calculated, and my experience in other gliders, watching the airspeed while doing maneuvers. Those double speeds arent sprinting, only VERY short duration to augment the maneuver.

Offline moneyguy

• Silver Member
Your s***ing me...
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2006, 06:07:06 PM »
Originally posted by Reynolds
tow to 5,000, activate engines, release, engines at idle for the most part, but full during climbs, loops, hammerheads, low passes, and other maneuvers.

And benny, have you ever seen what a fox can do? Do you have any comcept of gliders at all for that matter? I have done things in gliders not NEARLY as high-end as that I would NEVER consider doing in a powered aircraft. Recounting some of the rolls and loops to my grandfather (Who WAS a World War Two test pilot for fighters, and thus KNOWS what they can and cant do, and has done them himself) HE was amazed at what these gliders can do. Now, in a flat out run, an F-15 would of COURSE win. A Warbird MIGHT, depending on whether the fox has just come out of a dive, and what warbird it is. Now, these arent incredibly powerful engines, but I venture to say, once they are added the Fox will outrun, any early war plane. You dont realise, this is an incredibly fast, incredibly maneuverable airplane. So, judging by your answer, you are blissfully ignorant and live in your own little world, and refuse to be edjucated. So please, keep your nose out of things so obviously beyond your grasp.

i dont think that was really nessesary. :(