Author Topic: Loosing Your mind...community and property, too...?  (Read 2192 times)

Offline Overlag

• Gold Member
Loosing Your mind...community and property, too...?
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2006, 10:37:36 PM »
Originally posted by moneyguy
because its been the same people saying the same thing since the change. they need to either play the game or quit and make room for people who want to.

make room? theres like 8 freaking empty servers ;)
Adam Webb - 71st (Eagle) Squadron RAF Wing B
This post has a Krusty rating of 37

Offline DadRabit

• Nickel Member
« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2006, 11:20:09 PM »
1000 Mindinows?    
:eek:
David (Daddy Rabbit) Jester
S! 68KO
S! A8WB
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. Ronald Reagan

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2006, 11:31:33 PM »
Originally posted by JimJones
No offense but I dont care to know everyone in the arena... what I care about is diversity of play.  

Plus your logic is flawed.  If HT implements 10 x 300 arenas (i.e. 3000 pilots) you still have a total population that you will never know.

I know it is an exaggeration but who wants to surf 1000 (even 10) arenas to find squad mates, or game play type (i.e. gv battles vs. furballs)

Maybe HT should implement a "gamespy" type browser to find your squad, friends, etc...

Originally posted by HiTech
What is happening at the moment is a reseting of the mind set of our current players. It is my beliefe that in time some squads will play in LW1, and some others in LW2. Once this is the norm then both arenas will have a sustained population, and flying with your squad will not be a problem.

But right now we are going threw the pains of forcing the arena split. I wish there was a way to make the split not painfull. But havn't seen a lot of other ideas on how to make it acheviable. The last change was to make it less painfull. And it apears once the 2nd arena bumps the first past 120 both arenas typicly have room to fly in.

HiTech
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney
I was wondering why I get ignored so often.  -Hitech

Offline KTM520guy

• Nickel Member
« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2006, 11:32:26 PM »
300 arenas with 1000 people each would be much better. Why should so few get the chance to shoot me down on a nightly basis? Don't be hate'n, share the joy of an easy kill. I'm just sayin.
Everything King Midas touches turns to gold. Everything Chuck Norris touches turns up dead.

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2006, 11:54:51 PM »
Originally posted by palef
And none of them make any sense. It's REALLY hard to locate squaddies and on weekends when there is potential to fly with them and they head for LW, it is impossible to hook up if they land in LW1 and it is near the cap.

Why, do you get bumped to the LW2 automaticly if you land and its near capacity?

Originally posted by moneyguy
they need to either play the game or quit and make room for people who want to.

Are you in charge now?

Offline MIShill

• Copper Member
« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2006, 12:03:40 AM »
EW arena =Air Warrior WWI arena for interest. The plane set requires more astute flying. Those capable of being there generally want more e with which to continue/conclude their engagements. This will become an orphan arena like AvA without a good reason to be there.

-MI-

Offline doc1kelley

• Silver Member
« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2006, 12:18:12 AM »
Originally posted by hitech
A 1000 arenas of 300 people each

Oh, then you need to redo your advertising because 1000 arenas of 300 is NOT a massive multiplayer arena.  It might have been massive back in 1995 or so but not now.  You are just having a bunch of arenas that aren't what would be massive.  Massive in 1995 was a 40 meg harddrive, Cable was massive with 55 channels or such, now massive is in the hundreds of channels.  Sounds like you are moving backwards instead of forward.  Massive to me means more than 300.  That sounds simplistic by standards of gigabytes and terebytes.  In my opinion you are converting your game from a "niche game" to a "playstation/nintendo" game.  The ultimate goal is to remove teamwork and cooperation but get many to play.  We are seeing a great game devolve into an Unreal tournament online type of first person shooter.  Why not just make 1000 arenas of 6 capacity so the few can all get their "fair fights".  War is not and has never been about fairplay.

I do see the econimic reasons for your changes but you have to weigh the econmic vs the sustainability of your changes.

All the Best...
Jay
awDoc1
awDoc1
The Flying Circus Rocks! We're clowns of a different color!

Beer! helping ugly folks get laid!

Offline palef

• Gold Member
« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2006, 12:34:15 AM »
Originally posted by Slash27
Why, do you get bumped to the LW2 automaticly if you land and its near capacity?

I've had an increased number of discos since the changes, and yes you do get bumped automatically to the lower populated LW arena now.
Retired

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.slowcat.de
« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2006, 04:34:34 AM »
Originally posted by Overlag
i still do not understand how 700 people on a 512x512 map is worse than 300 people on a 256x256 map.

there is NO reasoning on the post you just quoted to WHY you need to cut the 700 player MA. Why wouldnt 2x700player MA's work?

Let me give you an example taken from mother nature.

Poulty can be kept in groups. They start fighting each other untill they settle on a stable hierarchy. Once they are settled in, it is a healthy community. You can add new chicken and they will fit themselves somewhere in the ranks... untill you reach a critical number (around 100 animals). Then the hierarchy breaks apart. The individuals nolonger "know" each other and their places - they start constant fighting, resulting in stress, injuries and reduced productivity.

The problem is not gameplay issues with the high number - the problem is social interaction in groups with such high numbers!
21 is only half the truth.

Offline Overlag

• Gold Member
« Reply #39 on: October 24, 2006, 07:42:30 AM »
Originally posted by Schatzi

The problem is not gameplay issues with the high number - the problem is social interaction in groups with such high numbers!

ermm i not had a problem with the social aspect of this game..... afterall im not using it as a dating agent.
Adam Webb - 71st (Eagle) Squadron RAF Wing B
This post has a Krusty rating of 37

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #40 on: October 24, 2006, 08:01:48 AM »
that's good overlag cause if you were we would have to tell you it isn't working...

I think most here have heard that the guys doing the most complaining tho are the ones who claim it has destroyed their idea of "community"

Now, your complaint used to be that you fly overseas hours so you never had many to fly with in any case... now less... this is valid and I can see your point but now you seem to have morphed into.... you can't fly these massive multiplayer missunzzzz.   If you never could then you can't really miss em eh?

It is not that we all want to date each other but.... a smaller arena makes people polite.... just as everyone waves and smiles at each other in a small town and every large city is a filthy slum filled with frieghtened unfriedly people....The more sardines you pack in the less they interact.

I would suggest that you misssunzzz guys would be happy with an unlimited arena where you could only sign onto one side and the other 2 sides were Ai.

lazs
Public Relations Officer for the BK's

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
« Reply #41 on: October 24, 2006, 08:04:14 AM »
Originally posted by MIShill
EW arena =Air Warrior WWI arena for interest. The plane set requires more astute flying. Those capable of being there generally want more e with which to continue/conclude their engagements. This will become an orphan arena like AvA without a good reason to be there.

-MI-

The EW plane set required "more astute flying" when you were trying to take down Lalas with Spit1s, not now.  

Now, anyone can try any plane they like, and be guaranteed to have a fair shot.

Also, I really don't think it will become an orphan like arena.  Half of the new planes everyone's been clamoring for have been from that time period...  People will fly there ;)
Vudak
352nd Fighter Group

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.slowcat.de
« Reply #42 on: October 24, 2006, 08:40:15 AM »
ermm i not had a problem with the social aspect of this game..... afterall im not using it as a dating agent.

Social interactions are not limited to "dating" ;).
21 is only half the truth.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #43 on: October 24, 2006, 09:13:23 AM »
i dunno, the collisions im seeing MY end has almost quadrupled.

thought you quit ..
you mean you spend all your time crying on this bbs and in the game on ch200 how terrible the game now is and you STILL play?

I'd boot you if I was the owner, you are bad for business
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Virage

• Silver Member
Re: Loosing Your mind...community and property, too...?
« Reply #44 on: October 24, 2006, 09:25:53 AM »
Originally posted by Zuum

Please, do and act as Martin Luther did for 500 years ago...
Nail Your agenda on the wall.

Yeah, we wouldn't want to start a Holy War or anything...
JG11

Vater