Author Topic: ok,lets try this--Fighter arena??  (Read 2873 times)

Offline Clifra Jones

• Silver Member
ok,lets try this--Fighter arena??
« Reply #60 on: October 26, 2006, 02:07:38 PM »
Originally posted by Overlag
because its fun *fighting* to win the war, and gives a overall goal to the game?

its also tactical.

Counter strike took off so well because it was a team based mod, with things to blow up, or rescue... Halflife DM was simple run and gun (like furballing turn and gun). CS ended up eclipsing HL-DM, and all DM games (much like the tactical guys eclipsing furballers) and guess what, we have fun. You could fight the tactical guys, instead you just whine when your base is captured.

hmmmmm ;)

Overlag, Most of us who you like to deem Furballer would be more than happy to fight the tactical guys. Fact of the matter is that most of the tactical guys do not want to fight us.

They use the easymode bombing model to flatten FHs from 20K ft, or suicide divebomb lancs to do the same.

They run missions to undefended fields sectors away from the action and if per chance some defenders up and spoil their capture they give up and leave.

I was a member of one squad and quit because of this. They ran a mission to a field and the defense came up and turned into a rip roaring battle, all the squadies cried "This is a bust, let's go some where else".

If the tactical guys would attack where the enemy is instead of where he isn't then maybe we wouldn't have this argument.

How about this for a suggestion. Player/Squad is awarded points for a capture solely based on the level of defense put up. No defense, no points.

Increase the difficulty for bombing. You should not be able to flatten 3 small hangers from 20-25k with 3 b24's.

Increase Ack accuracy and increase the number of Ack platforms.

Lastly, I think most of us really don't give a rats arse how you play the game but when you deliberately make attempts to adversely influence how we are playing the game, i.e. kill hangers in FT/TT, drop hangers/sink CV at a furball, and then announce those intentions/efforts on 200. It does get under our skin.

Case in point, some pinhead last night drops VH on Tank Island, this insites the other pinheads on the other countries to do the same. Does this server any tactical purpose? no it just pisses people off.

If the deliberate griefing were looked down upon by all sides then this discussion would not be so heated.

Offline Clifra Jones

• Silver Member
« Reply #61 on: October 26, 2006, 02:16:08 PM »
Originally posted by doc1kelley
Actually I've posted mega responses in favor of a place in the map for Furballers and Groundwellers and have never stated that I want the "Furballers" to go away.  I'm a griefer because I want a place where we can all do our fun?  get a grip bro or start reading more closely.

All the Best...
Jay
awDoc1

I don't think that this was directed at those like yourself who have made that kind of suggestion. What he is getting at is that when some of us speak up regarding the blatent griefing we are met with reponses like "go to the DA" or suggestions of a FT arena.

An FT arena is not going to happen and when we experimented with it and it failed.

As Sim said, we will most likely not see another FT map in the future.

Offline Hammy

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.leedsstarafc.co.uk
« Reply #62 on: October 26, 2006, 02:24:22 PM »

Originally posted by Hubs

Your post can easily be translated into "HT, can you please create another arena where we can force all of the people to go who don't play the game the way I want?"

hasn't he already done this?

Offline LYNX

• Gold Member
« Reply #63 on: October 26, 2006, 02:29:38 PM »
I retract this particular reply .
« Last Edit: October 26, 2006, 02:35:02 PM by LYNX »

Offline Hammy

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.leedsstarafc.co.uk
« Reply #64 on: October 26, 2006, 02:38:25 PM »
i read it before ya did, i prefered the original :aok

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #65 on: October 26, 2006, 02:48:55 PM »
You are asking for a fighter town arena... we allready have 4 arenas not counting da and ava.

You make it seem like having all planes available is choice.   I think anyone who has been around knows that people go to the populated arenas.

I also know that you know that newbies and less talented want the arena with the most disparity in equipment where they can choose the best ride no matter how dweeby.. they also like a lot of choice in bombers and GV's if they totaly lack the ability to use a fighter well..

What this means is that the numbers will allways be in the arena with the most GV's and bombers and the fastest planes with the biggest guns...   when you put no restrictions at all on that arena it is even worse.  

your claim that people like to fight early war planes against uber ones is wrong...  there is probly no more than a handful that actualy enjoy it... there were a lot of us that put up with it before when we had no choice.   not the same thing...   look at the usage of early war planes in the old arena and... the new LW one.  

The fights are just fine in the early and mid war arenas... there aren't enough planes with a huge disparity of performance and... more importantly.... not enough choice in GV's and bombers to attract the griefers and toolshedders.

I don't see any point to the idea of a fighter town arena.   it would just siphon off numbers from early and mid war and...  How would you do it?

Anything goes?   anything from a hurri one to a lala7?   you would just have another late war slum.   No haven there for early war style furballers...  in the old FT I rarely seen early war planes.

So how would you do it?   early war only?   3 fighter town arenas with ealy only, mid only and late only?   nothing short of that will satisfy early war or late war guys.

nope... the early war works fine for furballing.... those who like late war planes don't get it anyway 99% of the time... let em stay in LW.

lazs
Public Relations Officer for the BK's

Offline 1Boner

• Gold Member
« Reply #66 on: October 26, 2006, 03:20:55 PM »
my thought was, having a rotating plane set every 24 hours---all planes in a particular set would be from ew---then mw--then lw----and yes it would be just aerial combat (your favorite)  that way you wouldn,t have to try to keep undesirables out of the ew. because no-one can just stake claim to an existing arena and dictate the kind of fighting that would take place there. it would be different if it was a dedicated gv or fighter arena , then people whould know what they were in for , before they entered the arena.

good to see ya back on the bbs again lazs,been awhile

sincerely, boner
"Life is just as deadly as it looks"  Richard Thompson

"So umm.... just to make sure I have this right.  What you are asking is for the bombers carrying bombs, to stop dropping bombs on the bombs, so the bombers can carry bombs to bomb things with?"  AKP

Offline doc1kelley

• Silver Member
« Reply #67 on: October 28, 2006, 03:54:19 PM »
Originally posted by Clifra Jones
I don't think that this was directed at those like yourself who have made that kind of suggestion. What he is getting at is that when some of us speak up regarding the blatent griefing we are met with reponses like "go to the DA" or suggestions of a FT arena.

Actually Laz and Hub and Storch have.  But long before any of this came up I was advocating protected Fighter and Tank Towns.  I've been in the Tank Town and been carpet bombed over and over and I was in FightTown a few times and seen bases get carpet bombed and captured.  I was horrified as I knew that those things should not have happened and should not have been allowed to happen.  It would have been pretty easy to harden those areas and make them uncapturable or HT could have voiced the threat of what has happened now if those actions continued.  I also have not been a griefer about the multiple arenas and looked upon them as a good idea.  My only complaint was the player capacity of those arenas.  I hate the LW arena and pretty much always have.  I really don't have a problem with my squad switching sides but as a whole or one of the wings but not on a per hour basis as sides become unbalanced or on a person or several person basis.  Ya know, I was watching HBO's the "Wire" and the ex-cop and now match  teacher had his students gambling in class using monopoly money and using math to figure the odds.  He was teaching them without them knowing he was teaching them.  Perhaps HT should try that type of approach with these changes.  

All the Best...
Jay
awDoc1
awDoc1
The Flying Circus Rocks! We're clowns of a different color!

Beer! helping ugly folks get laid!

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #68 on: October 28, 2006, 04:58:54 PM »
Originally posted by doc1kelley
Actually Laz and Hub and Storch have.  

I've done what?
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney
I was wondering why I get ignored so often.  -Hitech

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #69 on: October 29, 2006, 09:27:39 AM »
well... isn't this wonderfull...

All the toolshedders that were telling us to suck it up and go to the DA and were killing the FH's and gameing the squad limits and dive bombing CV's and ruining every fight on the map they could including fighter town are now...

coming up with all kinds of kooom bye aaaahhh "can't we all just get along" and let's just go back to the old slum and everything will be different this time....

I ain't buyin it.

lazs

Offline LYNX

• Gold Member
« Reply #70 on: October 29, 2006, 10:03:30 AM »
Originally posted by lazs2
well... isn't this wonderfull...

All the toolshedders that were telling us to suck it up and go to the DA and were killing the FH's and gameing the squad limits and dive bombing CV's and ruining every fight on the map they could including fighter town are now...

coming up with all kinds of kooom bye aaaahhh "can't we all just get along" and let's just go back to the old slum and everything will be different this time....

I ain't buyin it.

lazs

There's nothing for you to buy.  

The original question was a Seperate fighter arena ... Good or bad idea.  The closest thing to a straight answere was "it was tried but didn't work.....LACK OF INTEREST"....jolly wiz fancy that.  And your reply about EW and MW leave it as it is fighter heaven blah blah blah.

Offline dragon25

• Zinc Member
« Reply #71 on: October 29, 2006, 10:26:18 AM »
We already have a fighter arena, the Dueling Arena. Folks just don't make a heck of a lot of use of it. However, I am in agreement /w the "nothing but un-orded fighters" idea.

Offline 1Boner

• Gold Member
« Reply #72 on: October 29, 2006, 02:23:52 PM »
we have a dueling arena?   is it for aerial combat only?

then what are these fighter only guys making all these lovely posts about?

i don,t understand, but i am very sure i will be enlightened in a most un-enlightening way.

peace -out!
"Life is just as deadly as it looks"  Richard Thompson

"So umm.... just to make sure I have this right.  What you are asking is for the bombers carrying bombs, to stop dropping bombs on the bombs, so the bombers can carry bombs to bomb things with?"  AKP

Offline Flayed1

• Silver Member
« Reply #73 on: October 29, 2006, 03:03:51 PM »
Originally posted by lazs2

The fights are just fine in the early and mid war arenas... there aren't enough planes with a huge disparity of performance and... more importantly.... not enough choice in GV's and bombers to attract the griefers and toolshedders.

lazs

Hmmmmm   I must be a strange endangered spiecies of toolshedder for I love Bostons and 88's, LVT4's and the T34 ROCKS!!!!   If you look at my first tours of AH I flew the boston alot but so many of the late war monsters would eat me. :)    I would be in EW almost constantly if I could get more EW war lovers in there.  Oh and a few more planes wouldn't hurt :)
From the ashes of the old we rise to fly again. Behold The Phoenix Wing!

Offline pluck

• Silver Member
« Reply #74 on: October 29, 2006, 04:17:51 PM »
Originally posted by 1Boner
we have a dueling arena?   is it for aerial combat only?

then what are these fighter only guys making all these lovely posts about?

i don,t understand, but i am very sure i will be enlightened in a most un-enlightening way.

peace -out!

DA is for duels,  generally set limits between the 2 parties.  some like the different scenario's that are presented in the MA....also gives people a chance to interact with the community.  so the DA is ok, if you want to duel a person with guidlines set and all that.  i know many strat guys like to use the argument just go to the DA, but the DA is not a solution because the fights tend to be the same everytime....there is little variation, maybe different planes.  ya, you could tell the other person you are only flying a 3k and they should fly higher or whatever, but personally i don't like to enter a fight knowing exactly what the other guy is going to do.  that's the fun part.

i will say i'm not sure why we need another arena anyway.  if i don't like what's happening in one, i can just go to another
« Last Edit: October 29, 2006, 04:20:18 PM by pluck »
-Vast
NOSEART
80th FS "Headhunters"