Author Topic: Ah chess pieces  (Read 5345 times)

Offline soupcan

• Copper Member
Ah chess pieces
« on: October 29, 2006, 11:27:31 PM »
MW arena sometimes has some really great battling going on.
However when 1 country starts getting overwhelming odds the
overall gameplay suffers.

As an example on Oct 29 at approx 19:00 CST MW had:

bish -11
knight-23
rook-38

over the course of the next hour 15 more players logged on
and all decided to play for the rooks.

I don't get it, not 1 of these 15 guys thought "hey this is a little
out of wack, maybe i should fight for the bish for an hour".

numbers then became:

bish-8
knight-24
rook-53

which becomes even more laughable when the majority of these 53 rooks
are hitting the bish.

Are players so tied to their chess piece that they would rather "fight"
(and i use the term loosely) 7 of US against 1 of THEM? And do these
same people think this is good action?
Addicted since tour 62.
news in game.
http://www.415thsquad.com/

Offline kamilyun

• Silver Member
Ah chess pieces
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2006, 11:44:28 PM »
This needs work for the new arenas to "work"

Usually Rook, but in this situation, I would definitely switch sides...sigh...

Offline calan

• Copper Member
Ah chess pieces
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2006, 11:52:04 PM »
I think it should just be two sides: Queens and Pawns... then nobody would want to be on any side   :lol

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
Ah chess pieces
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2006, 12:21:51 AM »
The higher the advantage, the more loyal the players, for the most part.
The return of ENY, once HT sorts that out, will hopefully improve things. I cannot wait. :t
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney
I was wondering why I get ignored so often.  -Hitech

Offline SuperDud

• Platinum Member
Ah chess pieces
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2006, 12:28:57 AM »
I'd want to be a queen!
SuperDud
++Blue Knights++

Offline LYNX

• Gold Member
Ah chess pieces
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2006, 03:33:38 AM »
bish-8
knight-24
rook-53

Yer.... bit of a bugger that

I (rook) looked in and logged out.  I looked in because LW blue was being rolled similarly by a load of bish.  Twas after midnight UK so went to bed.

Offline LYNX

• Gold Member
Ah chess pieces
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2006, 03:42:03 AM »
Originally posted by SuperDud
I'd want to be a queen!

Come lay on mit couch.  Zee meaning of the zee thought ist very interesting. vhy do you use zee vord "Want" misconceptualy ?

Offline Sketch

• Silver Member
      • http://www.arabian-knights.org
Ah chess pieces
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2006, 05:13:28 AM »
Yeah Soup, good points made, especially after last night which was crazy!  When I logged in around 1030pm (Italy time, +6 EST), it was still late afternoon for most.  When I got in there it was heavy Rook populated and with only 3 bases left for a reset I just stayed til then.  Once the reset all the AK's jumped to Bish as they were still ow numbers.  Even when we jumped and were helping out you, Helm, Goth, and Lazer we were still outnumbered roughly 3 to 1 with 20 Bish, 40 Knit, and 60-70 Rook most the time.  The lame part was is the steamrolling they did porking troops at every field for what seemed like 4 sectors.  In under 2 hours we were down to about 12 bases already.... what is that 4... 5 resets this weekend?  Well whatever, I leave here in about 8 days and will be stateside again and will be on 'normal' time for my fellow AK's! :aok

Was fun Soup... see you in the skies!
~Sketch~//~Arabian Knights~
Sketch's Gunsight Collection 2008
Sketchworks Arabian Knights Soundpack
~Oderint Dum Metuant~

Offline Simaril

• Platinum Member
Re: Ah chess pieces
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2006, 06:11:33 AM »
Originally posted by soupcan

Are players so tied to their chess piece that they would rather "fight"
(and i use the term loosely) 7 of US against 1 of THEM? And do these
same people think this is good action?

In a word, yes.

Be careful...having gone down this road before, I have found that questions like this are met with "how dare you tell us how to play," "you're trying to punish us for being organized," and "we have ALWAYS been ."

If you ask again, you may be held down and tattooed on your forehead with "Ignore me I'm a furballer."
Maturity is knowing that I've been an idiot in the past.
Wisdom is realizing I will be an idiot in the future.
Common sense is trying to not be an idiot right now

"Social Fads are for sheeple." - Meatwad

Offline Overlag

• Gold Member
Ah chess pieces
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2006, 07:22:11 AM »
this is happening in most arenas... the only slightly stable is LW's because once over a certain amount of numbers the odd 20 or so more doesnt really matter, and the two low sides often end up attacking the stronger one.

the other night someone from EW called into both LW arenas asking for knit help since they was down to last few bases and only had something like 12 plays vs 24/20 or so rooks/bish. I joined in and started well thought out missions, with diversions from the real attack, however i kept loosing connection so my goon would drop almost as soon as getting to the base :mad: :lol

they held back the reset though.

maybe if you see the numbers are very low, try PM'ing friends you know that are in other arenas? or even joinging LW1/2 and asking around? A few will probably leave and come over. It might help.
Adam Webb - 71st (Eagle) Squadron RAF Wing B
This post has a Krusty rating of 37

Offline Zwerg

• Copper Member
Ah chess pieces
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2006, 07:37:34 AM »
I was in the MW too yesterday as a Knight.

Rooks outnumbering Bishops and Knights. Rooks far ahead in fields. Bishops near to be resetted.

I decided to help the Bishops by sweeping over a Rook base.

I like this kind of informal alliance.  :)

What would help in this are 3 different icon colors for 3 different countries.

We can identify friendlies. Why not 2 different enemies?

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.slowcat.de
Ah chess pieces
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2006, 08:46:05 AM »
Originally posted by Zwerg

We can identify friendlies. Why not 2 different enemies?

If you pay attention to chesspiece in icon, the two are usually pretty distinguishable.

I have in the past "worked together" with red icons, either with agreement on chat/private, or through simply helping the guy and obviously not attacking him, hoping he returns the favor.

Three country fights (with or without alliancing) are always fun :).
21 is only half the truth.

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
Ah chess pieces
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2006, 08:56:38 AM »
two things...

I agree that people should switch to balance the fights (I do) and...

The numbers totals don't allways have anthing to do with good fights.  I was a knit and we had superior/even numbers over the rooks at the fight I was at for instance... the rest of the players were all avoiding each other in any case.... you couldn't have found em on the dar if you wanted to.

numbers are local...that is all that counts.   If the fight is even then it is good if the numbers are even and no one is fighting even fights... it is a bust.

lazs
Public Relations Officer for the BK's

Offline Captain Virgil Hilts

• Platinum Member
Ah chess pieces
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2006, 09:03:03 AM »
It probably has a lot less to do with loyalty to a country than it does with the quest for the "easy button".

The assumption that people are choosing a country strictly from loyalty is flawed in that it allows little or no consideration for the fact that some log on with the country with greater numbers in order to ensure they have the advantage.

The assumption that people log on for a real fight to see how well they fly is left over from a long gone era of flight sims when flight sims were very different from other games in their player base. The day when flight sims like Aces High and previously Air Warrior were populated by aircraft/warbird/history enthusiasts who were looking to fly and fight like the real fighter pilots of history did are gone. Sure, some of the diehards from the "old days" remain, and some of the new players fit the old mold, but a large number do not, probably a good sized majority. Expecting "gamers" to look for or work for an "even" game is probably asking too much. ENY limiting was something of a solution, although it brought about plenty of its own issues.
"I haven't seen Berlin yet, from the ground or the air, and I plan on doing both, BEFORE the war is over."

SaVaGe

Offline Kev367th

• Platinum Member
Ah chess pieces
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2006, 09:03:54 AM »
Funny thing is the current setup has actually increased numbers lop-sidedness, and it's the one thing that has been pointed out over and over again.

It's still the number one problem/sympton of the current setup HT has yet to (or wont) comment on.

I actually suggested that if you were a member of one of the lower sides and you try to login into a capped arena you should be allowed in.
If you are a member of the highest numbered side you get bounced to the other arena as it is now.

It could be totally transparent to prevent people swapping sides to get into an arena then swapping back to their original side once in.

{edit} Thinking about it, that wouldn't work either - you would get a second arena with a bigger numbers of players from the bounced country.

But whats worse -
One arena slightly out of whack
or
two arenas out of whack.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2006, 09:08:26 AM by Kev367th »
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
Asus M3N-HT mobo
2 x 2Gb Corsair 1066 DDR2 memory