Author Topic: Ah chess pieces  (Read 5352 times)

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
Ah chess pieces
« Reply #45 on: October 30, 2006, 03:33:26 PM »
Originally posted by Mr No Name

I still say the real answer to this is a robust, separate furballers and GVers arena for those not wanting to win the war.

And how is this the answer?  All it does is suggest that there is really only one style of play for the 'masses' while the others need to take their ball and go elsewhere.

How does this help?

There has to be a way to make this game something where all the styles of play interact and in essence need each other to make the game fun.

Anyone claiming furballing is the only way is wrong, just like someone claiming winning the war is the only way is wrong.

Both involve cycles with goals at the end.  One involving air combat where the cycle ends with someone winning the fight, or in essence a small war.  The fight is then reset and they try again.

How is this different from 'winning the war' where the conclusion of the 'war' involves starting over again at the beginning?

Define places on the map that are intregal to winning the war, but will take combined air, ground, sea, tactical air, bombing, etc to 'win', not just massive hordes attacking nothing.

This has to be doable.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Mr No Name

• Silver Member
Ah chess pieces
« Reply #46 on: October 30, 2006, 03:56:04 PM »
Dan,

When ya say "The rest can go play elsewhere" that isn't what I mean.  There are a couple of different camps of style of play.

What I was looking for was a way that both camps can have pretty much exactly what they want.  What I am stressing is that without the large MA, Aces High is nothing more than a box game that you pay $179.40 per year for.

I really DO want the furballer guys to have a great time as us win the war types have had for ages.  If I was bored enough, I might even join the furballers arena.  I have been to fighter town and tank town a few times.

I believe that HTC could do the large arena with a great deal of success simply because no-one else is doing it.  The large MA of 2 months ago was the reason we had so many new subscriptions and the arena began a new growth spurt.

Imagine the marketing potential of a Fighter arena?  I don't see either camp as a 'lesser' entity but as I said before there is a CLEAR disconnect between both play styles.  Both Arenas would have an opportunity to petition for certain rules/restrictions that would enhance that style of gameplay.

I don't believe the old MA was perfect but It HAD one thing my beloved Pacific Fighters will never have... Large scale battles.  Right now I could join any of some 50 - 128-player rooms on the net (Il2-AEP-PF-FB)  The reason I don't play that game only is because of my squad and my squad could stay here because we could all fly together, no rolling planeset (Only reason we left WB) And we could do all of this because of the scale of the MA!

I don't gripe for the sake of griping, I am doing so to say there ARE other solutions to reach the goal of keeping this game healthy.  I believe we ALL want that. You cannot say that the arenas are not now even more unbalanced most of the time BECAUSE of the split.

I say if you're gonna force a split, do it based on player preference, not arbitrary numbers... That way everyone is happy. Like I said grapevine... More Carrot, less Stick!
« Last Edit: October 30, 2006, 04:06:44 PM by Mr No Name »
Vote R.E. Lee '24

Offline Overlag

• Gold Member
Ah chess pieces
« Reply #47 on: October 30, 2006, 04:03:35 PM »
Originally posted by lazs2

unrelated... why do you suppose there is no euro game to compete with AH?

because AH is in a niche market..... hence the reason we have to pay per month, unlike the millions that play HL2 / BF2 etc?
Adam Webb - 71st (Eagle) Squadron RAF Wing B
This post has a Krusty rating of 37

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
Ah chess pieces
« Reply #48 on: October 30, 2006, 04:17:43 PM »
Mr No Name: Apears that head still isn't sore.

HiTech

Offline Mr No Name

• Silver Member
Ah chess pieces
« Reply #49 on: October 30, 2006, 04:25:52 PM »
Originally posted by hitech
Mr No Name: Apears that head still isn't sore.

HiTech

LMAO well, at least I haven't resorted to guaranteed PNG statements!  I am just making suggestions I believe to be helpful, nothing more.  Better to voice an opinion before I stop writing checks, right?

I'd like to see the game stay healthy so that I can stay here.  I am sure you have received some letters on this very matter. (One of mine included!)

I mean, I am not here trying to organize a boycott or posting links for others to join a different game... No sir, I am making suggestions BECAUSE I would like to stay.  :D
Vote R.E. Lee '24

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
Ah chess pieces
« Reply #50 on: October 30, 2006, 08:24:12 PM »
Originally posted by Kev367th
Various reasons Dan, some of which are a little too controversial to go into on the BB's.
Shall we just say there are specific reasons why we would never go back to a certain country, even temporary. Last visit to them left a bad taste.

I'm going to call BS. There are 2 countries, and you had an issue with people (or just a single person) on one, so you won't help the other?
Like many people, you've arbitrarily settled on some idiotic rationale or other, and that's why we have severe imbalances.
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney
I was wondering why I get ignored so often.  -Hitech

Offline Overlag

• Gold Member
Ah chess pieces
« Reply #51 on: October 30, 2006, 09:09:54 PM »
Originally posted by hubsonfire
I'm going to call BS. There are 2 countries, and you had an issue with people (or just a single person) on one, so you won't help the other?
Like many people, you've arbitrarily settled on some idiotic rationale or other, and that's why we have severe imbalances.

people build friends in countries from day one they join AH...  i have more people i can trust on knits... and maybe some on bish (due to a brief stint with Hornets)... rooks ive never had much luck with.

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
Ah chess pieces
« Reply #52 on: October 30, 2006, 09:36:46 PM »
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney

Offline Captain Virgil Hilts

• Platinum Member
Ah chess pieces
« Reply #53 on: October 30, 2006, 09:40:40 PM »
If you want to know what is wrong and why, you need only read this thread. The reason nothing will change is people in this thread, who represent both sides of the issue, say the same thing: "YOU are the problem, and if only you'd see things my way, and change how YOU play, everything would be fine and balanced". And they offer no middle ground.
And so, nothing will change, each side blames the other, and no compromise or progress will happen.

Combine that with the never ending quest for the easy button, and you get the recipe for long term gloom and doom.
"I haven't seen Berlin yet, from the ground or the air, and I plan on doing both, BEFORE the war is over."

SaVaGe

Offline Mr No Name

• Silver Member
Ah chess pieces
« Reply #54 on: October 30, 2006, 09:41:24 PM »

I love the way the other side resorts to name-calling when they have lost the intellectual argument.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2006, 09:47:13 PM by Mr No Name »
Vote R.E. Lee '24

Offline Mr No Name

• Silver Member
Ah chess pieces
« Reply #55 on: October 30, 2006, 09:42:36 PM »
CVH I thought I offered some decent alternatives.
Vote R.E. Lee '24

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
Ah chess pieces
« Reply #56 on: October 30, 2006, 09:50:23 PM »
If calling a spade a spade is what you consider to be "losing", I feel sorry for you.
mook
++Blue Knights++

Offline Mr No Name

• Silver Member
Ah chess pieces
« Reply #57 on: October 30, 2006, 10:11:51 PM »
:rofl
Vote R.E. Lee '24

Offline soupcan

• Copper Member
Ah chess pieces
« Reply #58 on: October 30, 2006, 10:26:46 PM »
Originally posted by Soulyss
 The arena is what we make of it gents, it's up to us.  HTC has provided a place and format where we all can have a lot of fun.  Now it's up to us to make it such a place.

exactly!
:aok
Addicted since tour 62.
news in game.
http://www.415thsquad.com/

Offline Overlag

• Gold Member
Ah chess pieces
« Reply #59 on: October 30, 2006, 10:39:29 PM »
i dont mind fighting as the underdog, hell im a knit for god sake..... being outnumberd is great for working as a team, and getting perkies.

i dont really like being on the side with too many players, and i dont like hitting the side with less numbers... hell i went EW today (and sucked like ive never sucked before!) because both LW's was 2 sides ganging the one with least numbers.