Author Topic: Team Zeke - Pearl Harbor Scenario  (Read 2320 times)

Offline Stang

• Platinum Member
Team Zeke - Pearl Harbor Scenario
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2006, 01:46:50 AM »
Originally posted by eh
I flew for years in this scenario when it was an AW event... always enjoyed flying and training with Team Jordi, and Jordi was also my squad CO back then. So I looked forward to this scenario very much, knowing that Jordi's involvement would make it a GREAT event.

But if its an invited event, forget it. Although I have a better than fair AH record in Fighters and dive bombers, I am certainly not in any "in crowd" and so I stand no chance of being invited, despite years of experience, particularly with this scenario.  The vein of elitism and exclusivity in this scenario is noticeable and objectionable to me. You have to be recognized as being worthy. By whom? By whose standards? And who was it that decided that any squad could be so superior to any others that they get to fly the best fighters in the scenario for all four frames?

Exclusivity always divides, and never unites. There are lots of talented and experienced "pilots" out there who would probably love to play but who would never be invited. It's too bad, and sets a bad precedent, especially for any desired feeling of "community".

I was really looking forward to this scenario, but I refuse to beg for a slot in it, and I hope that any other self-respecting pilot would do the same. I can imagine all the flames that I am going to get because of this post, but, to paraphrase the words of that great sage, Eric Cartman: "Screw you guys, I'm staying home".

eh?
Who said you had to beg?

Offline megadud

• Gold Member
« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2006, 03:21:49 AM »
Originally posted by eh
I flew for years in this scenario when it was an AW event... always enjoyed flying and training with Team Jordi, and Jordi was also my squad CO back then. So I looked forward to this scenario very much, knowing that Jordi's involvement would make it a GREAT event.

But if its an invited event, forget it. Although I have a better than fair AH record in Fighters and dive bombers, I am certainly not in any "in crowd" and so I stand no chance of being invited, despite years of experience, particularly with this scenario.  The vein of elitism and exclusivity in this scenario is noticeable and objectionable to me. You have to be recognized as being worthy. By whom? By whose standards? And who was it that decided that any squad could be so superior to any others that they get to fly the best fighters in the scenario for all four frames?

Exclusivity always divides, and never unites. There are lots of talented and experienced "pilots" out there who would probably love to play but who would never be invited. It's too bad, and sets a bad precedent, especially for any desired feeling of "community".

I was really looking forward to this scenario, but I refuse to beg for a slot in it, and I hope that any other self-respecting pilot would do the same. I can imagine all the flames that I am going to get because of this post, but, to paraphrase the words of that great sage, Eric Cartman: "Screw you guys, I'm staying home".

eh?

first of all it's "screw you guys, i'm going home"

secondly ROC decided all the stuff you are whining about

3rdly teh BKs are 1337 wood b 13373r if i was in the squad again but whateva....

2ndly why don't you just fly it anyway and have fun with any of the teams instead of looking at it like you need to be accepted, alot of it is sarcasm n e wayzzzz lolz! :O

Offline SKBG Seadog

• Copper Member
      • http://www.skbg.org
« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2006, 08:01:36 AM »
Seadog
    SKBG Seadog
Vet of AH and AW

Offline Bodhi

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2006, 08:22:31 AM »
Originally posted by eh

eh?

All you have to do is ask to be involved.  Not like its a hard thing at all.  I have not turned anyone away from Team Zeke at all.  Except Megadud.

If you could not see the sarcasm literally dripping off my initial post, then, maybe you need to sit back and realise that this is a game where we are all supposed to have fun.

Oh, and one other thing.  I kind of like the idea of inviting people to play on your side.  It is almost a guarantee that the people show up at the event, insead of the usual last minute scramble to find people when it starts.

As for elitism, I see far more in your post's veiled AWDos references, than has been dished out anywhere involving Pearl Harbor.  Cripes, a hell of a lotta guys here in AH2 were in AW.  Hell, I even helped host a convention down in Orlando with Darren, and I am not jumpin up and down screaming "me me me" over that.  So relax, if you want to fly on any of the teams, just let the respective CO know.  Team Zeke is almost full, but I am sure anyone else will let you fly.  If you are quick, you might be able to fly with the zekes.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2006, 08:27:54 AM by Bodhi »
I regret doing business with TD Computer Systems.

Offline ROC

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2006, 10:12:20 AM »
We have spent quite alot of time in events going through registration, people filling up slots, then dissapearing until 20 minutes before frame 1 starts, bypassing the beta altogether.

That's a crock, it's a waste of everyones effort.  

Public Registration will open, in the mean time, there is recruitment by the COs to allow them to build their team from Solid Participants.  

Please explain how that is a bad thing.  COs get to Build their Team in advance.  They get to populate it with people they can count on.  They get to engage people that are active, aggressive, Positive, involved.  They get people that Will show up to practice, Will show up to Beta, Will be active on the Boards  reviewing mission plans, Will show up on frame day and Will stick out the event because They have invested the time to prepare.

I can assure you I don't spend My free time, nor will I commit my teams free time, to putting out events so that people can show up last minute, Demanding the attention to get them up to speed while not bothering to get involved early on.  This isn't a walkon Snapshot event, this is a committment.  

Again, show me how that's a bad thing.  I'm always open to good ideas.
ROC
Nothing clever here.  Please, move along.

Offline megadud

• Gold Member
« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2006, 10:23:07 AM »
ROC! i remember you! i used to be in your skwad back in teh day! You were teh funnay bomba pilit. I had you confused with roscoroo who i didn't get along with very well. Sir

Offline eh

• Copper Member
« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2006, 10:46:10 AM »
I would make a subtle suggestion. Spend the time typing out a reason that the COs of the team you want to be on should chose you

Not so subtle. In other words if you are not invited you have to plead your case. Hence I used  the word 'beg'

If you could not see the sarcasm literally dripping off my initial post,

Nope, didn't see it. I guess that's what makes email and BBS posts such lousy means of communication.

As for elitism, I see far more in your post's veiled AWDos references, than has been dished out anywhere involving Pearl Harbor.

There were no veiled references to Air Warrior, they were explicit, and they were meant to underline how much I enjoyed the scenario in the past, how happy I was that Jordi was still involved in it, and how disappointed I was to see the current recruitment procedures. I first played as a rookie, and attended all of the (sometimes gruelling) practices that jordi put us through, and enjoyed myself immensely as part of a team with strategy that worked. And I came back for more repeatedly. The current means of recruitment denies that level of immersion, learning and enjoyment to new or beginning players, and so it is bad policy in my judgement.

As for the Eric Cartman reference, that was a paraphrase, not a quote.

My post wasn't demanding an invite nor was I jumping up and down shouting "me me me". For me to accept an invite now after my post would be contradictory to say the least. Pearl is a great scenario and I salute those who put so much work and thought into it. It needs to be thrown open to all, not restricted to a small subset of players.

Offline megadud

• Gold Member
« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2006, 10:50:11 AM »
Originally posted by eh
As for the Eric Cartman reference, that was a paraphrase, not a quote.

well you smell :cool: :p :t :rolleyes:

Offline Bodhi

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: November 01, 2006, 11:05:23 AM »
Originally posted by eh
Pearl is a great scenario and I salute those who put so much work and thought into it. It needs to be thrown open to all, not restricted to a small subset of players.

You still are not grasping the concept.  Pearl is not an elitist scenario.  It is plain and simply like ROC and I said.  The chance to ensure that people are actually going to show up!  Team Zeke was to be a group of pilots that were dedicated enough to make it to the events.  It is not about superb pilots, if it was, I would not be flying in it, and definitely not superdud.  :p Anyways, the event is still open to the public.  It always was, and always will be.  We are trying to establish a core of people that are and will be there to fly and support the event.  Otherwise, it will be like almost every other scenario, populated by the core dedicated group, with the rest walkons who just happen to make it.  Thats the gist.

Now, if you are interested in flying, goto the special events web page, and sign up.  If you are not, and are just complaining for the sake of it, take it somewhere else.  Go start a thread in the O'club regarding the new arena lay outs, thats in vogue now, not scenario bashing.
I regret doing business with TD Computer Systems.

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: November 01, 2006, 12:04:49 PM »
Originally posted by eh
...My post wasn't demanding an invite nor was I jumping up and down shouting "me me me". For me to accept an invite now after my post would be contradictory to say the least. Pearl is a great scenario and I salute those who put so much work and thought into it. It needs to be thrown open to all, not restricted to a small subset of players.
As a former Group Leader in many scenarios and one time XO, the most disappointing issue was the guys who would sign up for my slots and never appear for a single frame.  In the old system, all slots could be registered by guys thinking they might like to fly it and once the popular rides filled up, registration petered out.  If they decided not to show up, so what, no skin off their nose.

This new system is much better IMO as the COs and GLs recruit members who will actually populate the slots they register for on frame day. That’s also better for you as a participant but I understand the elitist feeling you’re talking about. Now you need to contact the CO or GL directly and ask for the slot. If you’re early enough, you’ll probably get it but now the GLs and COs also ask if you’ll participate in the practices.  It’s more trouble but that’s the point, if you two talk, you’re more likely to participate and if you can’t get the ride you want, or are unwilling to attend the practices, you can decide right then before the event, if you want to continue or try for a walk-on slot (which you may not get.)

This new process was designed so that, you, as a scenario aficionado, would be targeted for future recruitment with personal invites and have the best experience possible.  All you need to do is let the side CO above know that you’re serious about events as one of the reasons you play AH and you’ll be getting those personal invites from now on, and by extension, your whole squad could also be welcomed. The CM team is working on a data base of active scenario players and that data base will eventually be available to the side COs so the regular participants will be contacted first for command positions and to fill slots. You might as well jump in now and start building your history of participation.

I hope you find your slot in Pearl and enjoy the event, it looks like a good one.

GL
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline ROC

• Platinum Member
« Reply #40 on: November 01, 2006, 12:12:18 PM »
Hola Megadud Good to see you :)
ROC

Offline ROC

• Platinum Member
« Reply #41 on: November 01, 2006, 12:21:55 PM »
It needs to be thrown open to all, not restricted to a small subset of players.

This event is open to all.  We're just taking the serious ones first, again, why is that a bad thing?

Can you explain to me how throwing it open to all will make it a better scenario, considering what has already been explained as Problems several times in here already?

Do you think it's good for an event if the people taking up registered slots don't bother to participate until the last minute?  Does that make the event healthy?  While it might be "fair" to everyone who get's to register, the game isn't "Scenario Registration" and things have to happen after the 30 seconds it takes to click the registration button.  Is it "fair" to those who will be investing a great deal of time in training, team building, mission planning, discussions and general immersion to be forced to shove 3 or 4 weeks of discussion down the throat of a person who shows up 20 minutes before the event starts, only to hear "Gee thats a stupid idea, you should do it this way"

I'd still like to know the reasoning behind the above quote.  Like I said, I'm open to better ideas.
ROC

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #42 on: November 01, 2006, 12:35:26 PM »
i agree, i have flown many scenarios, AW & AH, no shows are a major problem, unless they tell you ahead of time they won't be there, you have to hold their slot open to the last minute then go nuts trying to find a walkon and get them up to speed, make you pull out your hair.

44MAG

Offline zorstorer

• Silver Member
« Reply #43 on: November 01, 2006, 01:39:44 PM »
Can we get jump suits like this? ;)

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
« Reply #44 on: November 01, 2006, 04:27:25 PM »
Im guilty on a couple of events. BoB, this last one I couldnt make a single frame. However, I see nothing in the near future hindering my attendence for Pearl. Its my favorite scenario so I'll make it no matter what.

I don't see a problem with setting up teams this way. If it was the same squads getting the jump for every scenario, I can see where some feathers would be ruffled, but this is the first time I've seen this done. Its a good idea. Too many people join, and show up at T-5 saying what do I do?
Scenarios are too complex for that, and everyone is way to busy to bother with trying to tend to them. Half the fun of these is the preparation, planning, and anticipation of the battle to come.

~AoM~