Author Topic: The night witches  (Read 4256 times)

Offline Tigeress

• Silver Member
The night witches
« Reply #165 on: October 23, 2007, 01:00:24 PM »
Originally posted by Toad
Although not as easy to fly for newbs, this one is without doubt the most secksie WW2 US trainer. Quite a bit more expensive now than a Fairchild and parts much harder to find. I think they only built about 1200 or so.

It's a bit nasty and unforgiving of those who try to salvage an overshot final without plenty of altitude and airspeed though.  :)

Otherwise, it's pretty sweet.

Oh, yeah.. after the 5th turn in a spin it is also unrecoverable.

Ryan PT-22

http://www.vintageaircraft.org/images/Vintage_15_i.jpg

Another beauty! mmm... seems the drag number would be higher than yours from looking it over. Also radial vs inline so engine torque would be a greater factor I am thinking.

The landing gear on yours look very substantial... that's why I thought perhaps navy trainer. The colors of her lead me to believe she was a military trainer but not having seen this aircraft. I love old warbirds and have some lovely photos.

Been to a nice number of air museums including the one in you neck of the woods, Dallas area …nicely kept large collection. Nice things re: Flying Tigers and Russian A/C.

Saw an ME-262 and other fighters in rl on a trip to Germany. Eire seeing the swastika on an actual German warbird that flew in combat.

TIGERESS

Offline Tigeress

• Silver Member
The night witches
« Reply #166 on: October 23, 2007, 01:14:10 PM »
Originally posted by lazs2
I took flight training but didn't like it much..  I did fly ultralights for a while and really enjoyed that..  I like being out in the wind and flying by the seat of my pants.
lazs

I felt the same about ultralights; have posted about it here.

Gliding in gliders is absolutely wonderful.

Quite... sooo sooo quiet... like a whisper... then a dive speeding thru the wind rushing against you vibrating the plane feeling it with your body ...with cockpit placement as bird's eyes. Using thermal updrafts  climbing them like a spiral managing speed and angles feeling along the energy of the thermal's edges to store as you go up then let go of the thermal and escape away.

TIGERESS
« Last Edit: October 23, 2007, 02:10:49 PM by Tigeress »

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
The night witches
« Reply #167 on: October 23, 2007, 02:56:01 PM »
Originally posted by Tigeress

It's like if you have five things that are all individually critical to survival going on in real time, the mind triages as best it can

TIGERESS

A large part of the solution is training followed by experience.

Stuff happens in the air; always has. Part of the training is to be prepared for that stuff. Emergency procedures training is a good example. You learn what steps to take and in which order. Practice, practice, practice. You first airplane is the toughest and they get easier as you go because, in general, the basic approach to say, an engine failiure, is very similar between aircraft.

Then you just build hours and stuff happens. You use your training to stumble through ;) the first ones and then you get progressively better at handling stuff. That's the experience part.

I think the Navy is credited with the shorthand for prioritizing dealing with stuff.

Aviate, Navigate and Communicate. First, FLY THE AIRPLANE. Then figure out where you are and where you want to go and how to get there. Then tell people what you are doing.

The Air Force gave me this one: Maintain aircraft control; analyse the situation, take the proper action.

Engine on fire? FLY THE AIRPLANE! Can't afford to hit a hill while you are dealing with the engine. Analyse the situation, make SURE it is an actual engine fire before you start shutting things down. Take the proper action, do your memory items and then follow up with the checklist.

Trust me on this one Tigress: there isn't that much new in the air that will kill you. A good instructor will teach you how to deal with the old stuff. You'll have to stay current and gain experience.

You could do it. Many, many folks have.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Tigeress

• Silver Member
The night witches
« Reply #168 on: October 24, 2007, 08:09:06 AM »
Originally posted by Toad
A large part of the solution is training followed by experience.

Stuff happens in the air; always has. Part of the training is to be prepared for that stuff. Emergency procedures training is a good example. You learn what steps to take and in which order. Practice, practice, practice. You first airplane is the toughest and they get easier as you go because, in general, the basic approach to say, an engine failiure, is very similar between aircraft.

Then you just build hours and stuff happens. You use your training to stumble through ;) the first ones and then you get progressively better at handling stuff. That's the experience part.

I think the Navy is credited with the shorthand for prioritizing dealing with stuff.

Aviate, Navigate and Communicate. First, FLY THE AIRPLANE. Then figure out where you are and where you want to go and how to get there. Then tell people what you are doing.

The Air Force gave me this one: Maintain aircraft control; analyse the situation, take the proper action.

Engine on fire? FLY THE AIRPLANE! Can't afford to hit a hill while you are dealing with the engine. Analyse the situation, make SURE it is an actual engine fire before you start shutting things down. Take the proper action, do your memory items and then follow up with the checklist.

Trust me on this one Tigress: there isn't that much new in the air that will kill you. A good instructor will teach you how to deal with the old stuff. You'll have to stay current and gain experience.

You could do it. Many, many folks have.

Hi Toad,

Thanks for your post and vote of confidence. I really appreciate it.

"Can't afford to hit a hill while you are dealing with the engine. "

TIGERESS

Offline Tigeress

• Silver Member
The night witches
« Reply #169 on: October 24, 2007, 08:16:47 AM »
Originally posted by lazs2
tigress... I like to fly AH too. I don't fly near as much as you but... For all your superior multitasking.. you don't seem to be able to handle what is going on around you in the game... it would appear that every time you meet another fighter... it is a given that you will lose.

lazs

Yup, I don't yet have my groove but I have my moments! :)

Still learning to survive in a higher population enviroment and an environment populated with higher percentage of really good pilots.
And still learning, period.

I have had a look at your first recorded tour of AH. kill/death ratio 1.12 Nice!
Were you a previous Sim Fighter Pilot prior to Dec 2000?

Tour 92 was my first ever (if you dont count AHII h2h flying) with a  kill/death ratio was 0.63

TIGERESS
« Last Edit: October 24, 2007, 08:37:03 AM by Tigeress »

Offline Tigeress

• Silver Member
The night witches
« Reply #170 on: October 24, 2007, 02:53:58 PM »
Originally posted by Mark Luper
Never got to fly a J-3, always wanted to. The closest I got to one was a PA12 SuperCruiser my dad flew for a few years. I got some stick time in it but not much, I was in my early teens then.

The last dual instruction I got was about 20 hrs in an Aeronca Champ. A 8BCN if I remember correctly. The instructor put a 85 Continental in it, it oringinaly had a 65. It needed that and more to get both of us off the ground during hot summer days. We ran with a half tank of fuel measured with a bobber on the cowling.

What I liked the most about the Champ was that it could be flown solo from the front seat.

The only aerobatic time I experienced was when HT took me up in his RV-8 one day. I was along for the ride and enjoyed it for a bit then started to get a little sick.

Mark

Mark, the guy into aerobatics with whom I flew, took it easy on me initially so I could get accustomed to it instead of trying to force me to clean his cabin lol

He wanted to share it with me over the long term... not make me barf on the first ride... thus run me off.

We did barrel rolls, loops, hammer head stalls, wing overs and the like.
Ironically he was a submarine type... active Navy at the time. Really like him a lot! Quiet man... thoughtful, commanded a lot of  respect from others and I trusted him with my life... literally. He got transferred, darn it.

At first I found it hard to believe the wings didn't snap off but I gained faith and respect for his plane.

Don't remember what make and model it was now, darn it.
No doubt a Piper, though.

TIGERESS
« Last Edit: October 24, 2007, 03:14:07 PM by Tigeress »