Author Topic: Democrats win big on House. Senate... a toss-up  (Read 4356 times)

Offline Captain Virgil Hilts

• Platinum Member
Democrats win big on House. Senate... a toss-up
« Reply #75 on: November 08, 2006, 07:36:37 AM »
Originally posted by Sixpence
What are you talking about? I don't remember reading anywhere they expected to win the senate, the fact that they almost took the senate was shocking. Early in the evening they were thrilled at their gains in the house, then watched as the senate was almost icing on the cake. Look, you were way off, admit it.

No, I wasn't. You didn't understand what I said.

If you knew as much about me as you THINK you know, you'd understand I'm a cynic, and a pessimist. I never thought the Republicans would hold as much as they did. I HOPED they would, but I was convinced they would not. I just never thought the Democrats would get what they thought they would. And they didn't.
"I haven't seen Berlin yet, from the ground or the air, and I plan on doing both, BEFORE the war is over."

SaVaGe

storch

congratulations democrats
« Reply #76 on: November 08, 2006, 07:40:56 AM »
I hope this won't happen but what we have now is a deadlocked congress.  look for the republican machine to start a big smear campaign against congressman pelosi and for two years of nothing getting done.  

the bright spot is many of the gains in the house are by conservative dems who would probably vote with the republicans on important legislation.  I suspect pelosi will cheekbones her way out of the top job in fairly short order.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2006, 08:48:50 AM by storch »

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #77 on: November 08, 2006, 07:41:03 AM »
Originally posted by Holden McGroin
One more article I thought was interesting:

One team blames the other for loosing... DOH!

"That" "is" "how" "you" "usually" "win" "or" "loose" "something..." "the" "other" "guy" "is" "better."  (sorry.. had to) :D

Offline Sixpence

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.onpoi.net/ah/index.php
« Reply #78 on: November 08, 2006, 07:42:35 AM »
Originally posted by Captain Virgil Hilts
I just never thought the Democrats would get what they thought they would. And they didn't.

Show me where they expected to win the house and the senate. The 26 seats in the house was expected by the dems? Show me that too
"My grandaddy always told me, "There are three things that'll put a good man down: Losin' a good woman, eatin' bad possum, or eatin' good possum."" - Holden McGroin

(and I still say he wasn't trying to spell possum!)

• Platinum Member
« Reply #79 on: November 08, 2006, 07:45:55 AM »
Show me where they expected to win the house and the senate. The 26 seats in the house was expected by the dems? Show me that too

Since World War II, the party in control of the White House has lost an average 31 House seats and six Senate seats in the second midterm election of a president's tenure in office.

The Democrats said several times they thought they'd beat the average. They didn't.
"I haven't seen Berlin yet, from the ground or the air, and I plan on doing both, BEFORE the war is over."

SaVaGe

Offline Sixpence

• Platinum Member
« Reply #80 on: November 08, 2006, 08:01:05 AM »
Originally posted by Captain Virgil Hilts
The Democrats said several times they thought they'd beat the average. They didn't.

Show me where
"My grandaddy always told me, "There are three things that'll put a good man down: Losin' a good woman, eatin' bad possum, or eatin' good possum."" - Holden McGroin

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #81 on: November 08, 2006, 08:09:43 AM »
sooo, i guess the voting machines worked ok this time, huh?  :rolleyes:

Offline Sixpence

• Platinum Member
« Reply #82 on: November 08, 2006, 08:11:54 AM »
Originally posted by john9001
sooo, i guess the voting machines worked ok this time, huh?  :rolleyes:

Maybe not in Virginia

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #83 on: November 08, 2006, 08:12:21 AM »
so why would a conservative who hates higher taxes vote for democrats to "punish" republicans?

Seems like cutting off your nose to spite your face.

the good thing about large swings and national elections like this is that you will be able to easily see what the agenda of the so called fair media is..

For instance... when kerrie lost..  all the today show people were wearing black and acting like their pets had been run over.

I am sure that there will be real jubilation in the press.

lazs

Offline Sixpence

• Platinum Member
« Reply #84 on: November 08, 2006, 08:21:46 AM »
There is a silver lining here, the dems that won lean to the center, their strategy was to embrace the center. The arrogance of the republicans towards the center is what did them in, they have no one to blame but themselves. With this strategy in mind, I cannot see how they can allow hillary a run at the White House. So, no hillary in 2008

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #85 on: November 08, 2006, 08:25:13 AM »
I figured that running hillary would be a good thing for me since she was sure to lose.   The dems will still field some left wing liberal.. they have to in order to capture their base.

lazs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #86 on: November 08, 2006, 08:30:53 AM »
Show me where

Go look for yourself for crying out loud. I have neither the time nor the inclination to lead you to it. Look, it's out there, all you have to do is look. If I pointed it out and explained it to you it still would not matter. You've made up your mind.

SaVaGe

• Platinum Member
« Reply #87 on: November 08, 2006, 08:47:41 AM »
There is a silver lining here, the dems that won lean to the center, their strategy was to embrace the center. The arrogance of the republicans towards the center is what did them in, they have no one to blame but themselves. With this strategy in mind, I cannot see how they can allow hillary a run at the White House. So, no hillary in 2008

It is NOT the center that cost the Republicans the most, it is the conservative base. The Republicans spent too much, and continued to do so. They also shifted spending towards social programs. They're too soft on illegal aliens.  And they have failed to prosecute the war in Iraq and on terrorism in general aggressively enough. It is actually their attempts to cater to and pacify the center and left of center that has cost them. The true conservative base is disenchanted with the Republican party.

That's not to say that the center was not part of it. You cannot alienate the conservative base without also affecting the center that is somewhat conservative, even if only on a few issues. You are correct that the center was part of it. It was the scandals and the poor progress on the war that really had the biggest effect on the center. But those issues also bothered the conservative base, and coupled with the spending and illegal aliens, among other things, caused a large rift in the base, and they were simply not motivated in many cases.

Whether or not Hillary runs depends largely on how the Democrats are able to keep their momentum. The one thing she will not do is run when she has no chance. If the momentum of the Democrats falters, and the Republicans put up a decent candidate, Hillary won't run. Now, it may be said that they didn't run her for any number of reasons. But in order for her to run, the Democrats have to be on a serious roll, as she is so divisive a candidate that she has no chance unless the Democrats are on top and out in front by a large margin. She is NOT the centrist her husband was. Therefore, they cannot count on the center vote. The center vote most be so disenchanted with the right, and the right must be so crushed, that neither can muster enough vote to keep her out.

SaVaGe

• Platinum Member
« Reply #88 on: November 08, 2006, 08:50:13 AM »
And they may yet win the Senate. I would not be terribly surprised.

SaVaGe

storch

« Reply #89 on: November 08, 2006, 08:52:05 AM »
that pretty well sums it up.  let's see if they can reign in their "leadership".