Author Topic: Video Problem  (Read 587 times)

Offline Swager

• Silver Member
Video Problem
« on: February 18, 2000, 08:45:00 PM »
I downloaded the HI RES files and changed the video in AH to 1280X1024 from 1024X768. Also changed my computer to 1280X1024.  Even though My video card is a Viper 550 with 16 Meg, things just seemed wrong.  Low FPS.  So I decided to change back to what I had, but no dice.  Maximum FPS 20.  

Oh No!!  I also ran Warbirds offline and the Maximum was about 18 FPS.  Both AH and WB effected so it must be my machine. I used to get Maximum FPS on both WB and AH of 35 to 45 FPS.

System:

Celeron 400
RAM:  64 Meg
Viper 550 16M

What did I do wrong?? HELP!!

Thanks!    

------------------
JG2 "Richthofen"

"My Brother-In-Law used to work for the
telephone company"

Pilot Office Christopher Hart III
Hornet Squadron, France, May 1940
From Novel "A Piece Of Cake"

[This message has been edited by Swager (edited 02-18-2000).]
Rock:  Ya see that Ensign, lighting the cigarette?
Powell: Yes Rock.
Rock: Well that's where I got it, he's my son.
Powell: Really Rock, well I'd like to meet him.
Rock:  No ya wouldn't.

ibreh

Video Problem
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2000, 07:19:00 AM »
Hi swager
i´m no hardware guru    i use the viper 550 too, and i´m at framerates of 35 to 40 in 1024*768. if i set vertical sinc in the 3D properties to "enabled" my framerate drops drastically too. plz check if you have enabled it. if so disable it and see if it´s better. there is no difference i can see in graphics after disabling it.
cu
ibreh

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
      • http://lephturn.webhop.net
Video Problem
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2000, 07:33:00 AM »
I do not reccomend you disable V-Sync.  Many others have reported "rubber bullets" when Dissabling V-Sync.  Because hit detection is done on your FE, I believe disabling V-Sync will make the FE miss some of the hits you get on the enemy.  You can test this on your own machine, but if you are pouring gunfire into your enemies and they are not going down, enable V-Sync.  I know from reports on this BBS that re-enabling V-Sync has fixed this problem for at least two people.

BTW, disabling V-Sync seems rather silly to me.  It got started so the game card companies could properly benchmark their equipment's raw power.  However, in a real game or application, the screen will only be re-drawn when the monitor re-draws it.  So what does it matter if your machine actually rendered 2 more frames that you didn't see?  It seems to me that disabling V-Sync will only make the framerate counter go up, but won't give you any better picture on the monitor.  Other than to test your machine and say "I can get Xfps on Y machine", I see no reason to use V-Sync at all.  In fact, you will be making your CPU and video subsystem do more work than they need to since they will be rendering frames that are never shown.  If you are trying to run RW or something at the same time, I would think turning V-sync off would hurt you overall.

Is there something I am missing here?  If I'm out of line here, somebody please explain.

------------------
Lephturn
The Flying Pigs
Visit Lephturn's Aerodrome for AH news, resources, and training data.
 http://users.andara.com/~sconrad/

Offline Pyro

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
Video Problem
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2000, 08:42:00 PM »
Have you tried rebooting?  Sounds stupid I know, but definately the first thing to try.

------------------
Doug "Pyro" Balmos
HiTech Creations

"If it's stupid but works, it's not stupid."

Offline Swager

• Silver Member
Video Problem
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2000, 09:13:00 PM »
Actually  I got it back!  Weird but it seemed to get better every time I brought my system up.  I tinkered alittle so who knows?  I'll try HIRES again with an updated system.  When ever that is.  32 to 45 FPS is fine for me.  

PYRO, what would you consider minimum requirements for HIRES and expected FPS with those minimum requirements?

Thanks!

------------------
JG2 "Richthofen"

"My Brother-In-Law used to work for the
telephone company"

Pilot Office Christopher Hart III
Hornet Squadron, France, May 1940
From Novel "A Piece Of Cake"
Rock:  Ya see that Ensign, lighting the cigarette?
Powell: Yes Rock.
Rock: Well that's where I got it, he's my son.
Powell: Really Rock, well I'd like to meet him.
Rock:  No ya wouldn't.

Offline Pyro

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
Video Problem
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2000, 09:23:00 PM »
I don't think the hi-res patch will make that much of a difference as long as you have the video memory to support it, i.e., 8 MB.

------------------
Doug "Pyro" Balmos
HiTech Creations

"If it's stupid but works, it's not stupid."